Any changes you would like to see?

Got a question, a problem or an idea for improving the site? Post it in here!

Any changes you would like to see?

Postby Jesse Smith » February 19th, 2015, 12:40 am

I think the forums are about done with changes. I just got the smilies and icons changed to look much better with a dark background.

I think I got the SPAM bots under control. Got *way* less SPAM today!

If you got any suggestion, post away.
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Re: Any changes you would like to see?

Postby Yoshi[NX] » February 19th, 2015, 11:18 pm

[center]Image[/center]
Yoshi[NX]

Postby Jesse Smith » February 19th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Thanks. Turns out that already exists.

search.php?search_id=newposts

Added in the header.
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi[NX] » February 20th, 2015, 7:34 am

digging the new posts button, thanks!
[center]Image[/center]
Yoshi[NX]

Postby Raptor » February 20th, 2015, 12:35 pm

I would enjoy seeing a top banner that appears a little professionally done, something that doesn't look as if it was hastily slapped together in MS Paint in 1996.
Raptor

Postby Jesse Smith » February 20th, 2015, 1:12 pm

If I make a banner, as every one knows, it'll look worse!!
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Postby radical » February 20th, 2015, 2:25 pm

Raptor wrote:I would enjoy seeing a top banner that appears a little professionally done, something that doesn't look as if it was hastily slapped together in MS Paint in 1996.

seconding this. it's a shame the old ones probably got lost in the wipe, some of those were pretty good.
radical

Postby Sigma » February 20th, 2015, 2:27 pm

No worries about that, archive.org has them archived.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150128095 ... gchat.com/
Sigma

Postby Jesse Smith » February 20th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Anything that was made after December 2009 when I sold the forums to fnool, is probably a goner, unless Wayback Machine or Google cache has it. I just got the 30 or so logos I had back then.

Edit: Yep, I'm seeing a lot at archive.org. Clicking the left arrow keeps showing a different logo. Some one made a lot!
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Postby Vivisect » February 20th, 2015, 7:42 pm

maybe this happening to the boards was a good thing. When I came back I was surprised to see how dead the site had become. When hyper had told me about the price of the website I was surprised to see how inexpensive it was and was tempted to purchase it (which I still am). This site I came to when I was 14 and shared some great times, drama, and just pure kicking the **** with people.

My biggest concern is that the core group, the veterans, the people who have been in this site since the beginning, before people like myself and sabredog and others arrived... some of you guys need to calm down. Honestly, if it wasn't for sabredog and other members which I eventually got friendly with, I would have left. There's a plethora of other web forums available in which the same topics can be discussed. If every new member comes in here introducing themselves in this manner: "hey guys how r u im new here, hope 2 have fun"... well I'm sorry, but I don't agree with everyone bum rushing the guy about how he needs to learn how to spell. Did it ever occur to you that you at one point described yourself this way? Not everyone in this website is our age and some are just kids who want a community to be a part of simply because maybe they feel like an outcast in real life.

Why not make a seperate board for veteran members, in which, regardless of being moderator or not, it a place where we can enjoy the circle jerk. If we can't get over our egos then... well sure revive it and enjoy reading a post every week.

I myself am willing to contribute ideas, money, and anything else need be to keep this website running. After a while I felt like I had to reconnect with this place and I'm glad I did. VGC can really be successful, if you let it be.
Vivisect

Postby Jesse Smith » February 20th, 2015, 11:00 pm

Got the old random logo script back up, with 22 logos. All the vgchat logos from the last five years were all about the same except the image at the right, so I added just five of those, with 17 of the older ones that have a much better variety of images.
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jesse Smith » February 20th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Testing links. Should now open in a new window. (Links in past posts still open in the same window.)

chat/fast_index.shtml

http://www.phpfreechat.net/demo
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Postby lameboyadvance » February 21st, 2015, 1:04 am

Speaking of the old website, do you have a backup from before you sold it? Any chance you could at least import threads from the good old days (someone scripting-capable may even be able to scrape archive.org and add any additional posts/threads to the mix)? Maybe make a crapload of usernames like lameboyadvance_classic and tie the posts to them.

Or do what others have done and re-add the 2009 forum, just as a static read only version of itself, so at least what information archive.org didn't catch isn't gone for eternity.

(BTW I haven't been here since the Virtual Boy forum was canned, missed the whole saga)
lameboyadvance

Location: Somewhere where I don't know where I am! (Newcastle, NSW, Australia)

Postby Jesse Smith » February 21st, 2015, 11:08 am

Yep, I do. I might be able to do that. They would probably just have the username, post date, title and hopefully both original post and also replies. They wouldn't be added to the phpbb boards, you would just be able to view them. Good way to get thread ideas for re-populating the forums.
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Postby Omni » February 28th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Add back the introduction board. Also, add a Wacko University or equivalent junk board.
Omni

Postby Yoshi[NX] » February 28th, 2015, 4:23 pm

seconding the junk board
[center]Image[/center]
Yoshi[NX]

Postby Jesse Smith » February 28th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Wacko University!!!! :eek: Never expected to see this suggestion!!!! Might take a poll for that one.

Introduction board, when I start working on generating new members, I'll create it. Right now it's just all of you oldies that are showing back up.
Jesse Smith
Site Admin

Postby Omni » March 1st, 2015, 5:26 pm

Also, getting a chatbox like the one we used to have.
Omni

Postby goten72 » April 9th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Vivisect wrote:maybe this happening to the boards was a good thing. When I came back I was surprised to see how dead the site had become. When hyper had told me about the price of the website I was surprised to see how inexpensive it was and was tempted to purchase it (which I still am). This site I came to when I was 14 and shared some great times, drama, and just pure kicking the **** with people.

My biggest concern is that the core group, the veterans, the people who have been in this site since the beginning, before people like myself and sabredog and others arrived... some of you guys need to calm down. Honestly, if it wasn't for sabredog and other members which I eventually got friendly with, I would have left. There's a plethora of other web forums available in which the same topics can be discussed. If every new member comes in here introducing themselves in this manner: "hey guys how r u im new here, hope 2 have fun"... well I'm sorry, but I don't agree with everyone bum rushing the guy about how he needs to learn how to spell. Did it ever occur to you that you at one point described yourself this way? Not everyone in this website is our age and some are just kids who want a community to be a part of simply because maybe they feel like an outcast in real life.

Why not make a seperate board for veteran members, in which, regardless of being moderator or not, it a place where we can enjoy the circle jerk. If we can't get over our egos then... well sure revive it and enjoy reading a post every week.

I myself am willing to contribute ideas, money, and anything else need be to keep this website running. After a while I felt like I had to reconnect with this place and I'm glad I did. VGC can really be successful, if you let it be.

this guy is smart. i like you
goten72

Postby MetroidPrimeMan » April 17th, 2015, 6:27 am

unless I'm missing it, a way to edit posts after they've been made would be nice. all I see right now is a delete function.
MetroidPrimeMan

Next

Return to Board Help & Suggestions