Confederate Flag

Debate on political issues and current events. No fighting allowed.

Confederate Flag

Postby Vivisect » July 6th, 2015, 5:53 pm

and... Go.

Keep the swearing to a minimum and provide a reason for removing the flag altogether or for retaining it where relevant. Is it a symbol which represents hate or one which embodies the history of the south seceding from the north and respecting those fallen in the Civil War?
Vivisect

Re: Confederate Flag

Postby Infyrin » August 22nd, 2015, 5:17 am

It started out as an honest symbol that represented the South, in my eyes. However, soon as rednecks began to get a hold of it, they turned the whole thing into a statement of their culture and fashions. Overtime, it was turned into a symbol of hate by hate groups who had no respect for that kind of symbolism, notably KKK.

As someone from the north, I feel taking down and trying to whitewash the confederate flag is a serious disrespect to that southern ancestry.
Infyrin

Postby Yoshi[NX] » August 26th, 2015, 4:28 am

As someone from the north, I see most people flying this flag as the sort of people who support things on the basis of the opinions of their friends who also fly this flag.
[center]Image[/center]
Yoshi[NX]

Postby Vivisect » November 1st, 2015, 1:13 pm

Infyrin wrote:It started out as an honest symbol that represented the South, in my eyes. However, soon as rednecks began to get a hold of it, they turned the whole thing into a statement of their culture and fashions. Overtime, it was turned into a symbol of hate by hate groups who had no respect for that kind of symbolism, notably KKK.

As someone from the north, I feel taking down and trying to whitewash the confederate flag is a serious disrespect to that southern ancestry.

Well the flag was borne out of rebellion, prior to this all States were United by one Flag. When the rebel States seceded from the Union they adopted a new flag. It wasn't precisely the flag which is represented today, nevertheless, it was the conceived from the ideals of what these rebel states represented: to continue to the social caste system of African Americans through the institution of slavery. So if that is "the honest representation of the South", isn't it still a negative message?
Vivisect

Return to The War Room