Who was the better Spider-Man: Tobey or Andrew?

The place to talk about music, movies, television, sports, literature and anime.

Who was the better Spider-Man: Tobey or Andrew?

Postby Vivisect » May 29th, 2016, 9:52 am

This isn't a joke.

I grew up on the Tobey trilogy of Spider-Man and enjoyed all the films. Yes, the third one may not have been the strongest in the series, but the second and first had some of the greatest moments in comic book movie history. The Andrew Garfield movies never really stuck out to me. How do you guys feel on this subject of Spider-Men?

The Civil War Spider-Man was very entertaining.
Vivisect

Re: Who was the better Spider-Man: Tobey or Andrew?

Postby The Poopsmith » June 12th, 2016, 10:34 am

Toby's Peter was awkward, quiet, soft-spoken, and Toby fit the role better. Andrew Garfield's Peter a popular, tall, smart, "skaterboi" persona didn't fit Peter.

I'd take Tony as Peter Peter, but the latter trilogy is definitely better. Sam Raimi's films had overall better casting. Seriously, J. Jonah Jameson portrayed by JK Simmons was perfect.
The Poopsmith

Re: Who was the better Spider-Man: Tobey or Andrew?

Postby kellykevin » October 27th, 2016, 1:33 am

Tobey Maguire brought something else to Spider-Man. An earnestness and a fragileness. The entire first two movies are about him basically making sacrifices to become Spider-Man. It’s a painful journey and even when he gets the girl in the second movie there’s a Graduate moment where she looks like she has second thoughts. And then in the next movie we find out MJ is a terrible person, which I think is a great thing that most people don’t talk about. Tobey’s Peter was a sweetheart who tried his best in the face of almost everything going wrong. And that’s what Spider-Man is about: constantly doing the right thing and suffering for it every step of the way.
kellykevin

Return to Media Discussion