Creepy DOS Game Graphics

Fan of the classics? We've got you covered!

Creepy DOS Game Graphics

Postby Infyrin » April 12th, 2015, 5:07 am

Does anyone want to share how creepy DOS graphics can be? both CGA/VGA types. Even Macintosh if you want to. As simple as DOS games could be back then, sometimes they get unintentionally creepy.

Image - Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True for DOS

There's this other game, Uninvited for DOS, is where you die at the servant's room. You get a closeup of his face and his eyes are just solid purple and his expression is just creepy. Can't get a picture of that, yet.
Infyrin

Re: Creepy DOS Game Graphics

Postby The Phoenix » April 12th, 2015, 6:10 am

Infyrin wrote:Does anyone want to share how creepy DOS graphics can be? both CGA/VGA types. Even Macintosh if you want to. As simple as DOS games could be back then, sometimes they get unintentionally creepy.

Image - Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True for DOS

There's this other game, Uninvited for DOS, is where you die at the servant's room. You get a closeup of his face and his eyes are just solid purple and his expression is just creepy. Can't get a picture of that, yet.

It makes sense.
We are usually used to seeing gore and blood realistically. When we see the blood red, reflective and eye ball hanging out from the head... Kind of take it for granted really. I'm like "oh... He's dead...", never registering a reaction. If the color is different and the crappy graphics make it look more detailed... Even with a picture, or image you can understand what I mean, it looks creepy. With God of War it does not make me scared or be like "ouch", I felt what he felt. No, there is something about a video game that presents gore in a different way that makes my hands shake. It's a feeling that is hard to explain. That DOS game reminds me of Snatcher. I sh't myself when I heard a huge freakin pterodactyl screech in Snatcher (which was a person in the middle of being killed) that surpasses every scary moment in a Resident Evil game. That screech is like... Hard to forget.
Rasputin did WWII
The Phoenix

Postby Infyrin » April 12th, 2015, 7:24 am

Had to play the DOS version of Uninvited to get the screenshot I was talking about.

Image - He's an evil looking sonofagun, isn't he? Damn. I consider him more creepier than the Margaret O'Hara ghost by comparison.

But yeah, I definitely agree, Phoenix. It's kinda like, I've played Mortal Kombat and that was one of the games that introduced me to the blood and what gore it had to offer. Since then, I'm not really surprised after going through so many games that showcased the gore and stuff. Like your example of God of War, I've played it too and I just kept feeling like "Damn right! I'm kicking your ass in the most gruesome and deserving way possible!!"

Games like these and others. You don't really expect it often and the varying detail just adds that feeling that can't be explained. In my case though, I just feel like "oh...is that what I think it...is? Something went down, here."

In Deja Vu II, you actually do have to go back to the bar where you found that dead body. Only that it's been quite sometime since you've solved the case in the first game. So, when you come back to the exact room in the bar. The body has been removed, yet the dry blood stain is still there on the desk which adds a bit of a shivering feeling.
Infyrin

Postby goten73 » April 12th, 2015, 12:38 pm

wow thats scary also jesse smith should make me a super mod i can fight spam ok???????????????????/ vote for goten73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goten73

Postby Infyrin » April 12th, 2015, 12:54 pm

goten73 wrote:wow thats scary also jesse smith should make me a super mod i can fight spam ok???????????????????/ vote for goten73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irrelevancy and go discuss the stupid cycle of moderator elsewhere. I don't think I'd be comfortable voting for someone to be a mod who uses over 20 question marks and exclamation marks.
Infyrin

Postby The Phoenix » April 13th, 2015, 6:03 am

Infyrin wrote:Had to play the DOS version of Uninvited to get the screenshot I was talking about.

Image - He's an evil looking sonofagun, isn't he? Damn. I consider him more creepier than the Margaret O'Hara ghost by comparison.

But yeah, I definitely agree, Phoenix. It's kinda like, I've played Mortal Kombat and that was one of the games that introduced me to the blood and what gore it had to offer. Since then, I'm not really surprised after going through so many games that showcased the gore and stuff. Like your example of God of War, I've played it too and I just kept feeling like "Damn right! I'm kicking your ass in the most gruesome and deserving way possible!!"

Games like these and others. You don't really expect it often and the varying detail just adds that feeling that can't be explained. In my case though, I just feel like "oh...is that what I think it...is? Something went down, here."

In Deja Vu II, you actually do have to go back to the bar where you found that dead body. Only that it's been quite sometime since you've solved the case in the first game. So, when you come back to the exact room in the bar. The body has been removed, yet the dry blood stain is still there on the desk which adds a bit of a shivering feeling.

Yeah, it's strange... isn't it?
It's a terrifying experience with a sense of uneasiness.
Can have like... Nightmares and sh't from the DOS graphics! :V
Rasputin did WWII
The Phoenix

Postby The Phoenix » April 13th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Saiki wrote:Lol, how does stuff like that happen in the first place? Graphic bug? Or is it like how if you gently nudged a N64 Cartridge it would mess up everything?

That's just how the game is.
I don't imagine old DOS games looking advanced. Unless we're talking about Quake.
Rasputin did WWII
The Phoenix

Return to Retro Gaming