How you get suckered into games

The general-purpose videogame forum.

How you get suckered into games

Postby Infyrin » May 5th, 2015, 5:36 pm

What snags your attention with games? What would make you drive to buy it and play it? The graphics? Multiplayer? Art-style? Sound?

Generally, what gets me, is if a game does a little something different out of the norm. Like, if a shooter offers a unique mechanic or two that differentiates from other shooters before it, then I'd be intrigued enough to ponder getting it. I've gotten several games that probably do the same things in their respective genre, but they do it a little differently and that's more than enough to get a pass for me. I rarely act on buying a game based on how many people prop it up as the "best game ever". It's really a matter of opinion and I've honestly played some highly-rated games, only for it to be a disappointment in my perspective and not getting it.

Like Left 4 Dead 2, for example. I've played it, I found it not as cracked up as people have made it. I never bought it but I got it for free when Valve gave it as an X-Mas gift for a day a couple years back. Gameplay is ultimately my deciding factor before almost anything else, with probably art style a close second. Not graphics, just art style, like how creative it looks.
Infyrin

Re: How you get suckered into games

Postby Jint » May 5th, 2015, 6:33 pm

I don't know, a game with a deep story always sparks my interest, that's why I love the metalgear series so much I guess..indigo prophesy and mass effect also had decent stories.
I don't really care about how good graphics look, or if it's got amazing hype by game journalists and critics because the last time I got suckered into hype, was with Destiny, and it sucked!
Psychonauts was a unique and humorous game that was seriously underrated and I found myself loving it.
So yeah, basically if it looks fun, I'll play it. Lol I'm no critic, I just do whatever.
Jint

Postby Prince Shondronai » May 5th, 2015, 8:11 pm

If a game is a first-person adventure, my radar is all over it. I always home in on words like "exploration" and "atmospheric."
Prince Shondronai

Postby Stampfi » September 11th, 2015, 1:53 am

I'm generally interested in RPGs, doesn't matter if it's the Diablo-style kinda thing or games like Witcher 3. First-person-view is most likely a turn-off for me and I never really got into Skyrim because of that. Or games with RPG elements, like finding new items, developing your character. Borderlands for example is the only FPS-game I actually enjoy playing. Old-schoolish games are always worth a look for me too and even when it's damn cool to play HD-games pixelated graphics and similar old-school stuff is totally ok. All in all it's mostly the gameplay that attracts me, other stuff like a deep story or good graphics are plus, but nothing more.

Besides that the atmosphere of a game and the whole environment in the game are also point. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories in general so I was having lots of fun with The Last of Us, even when the gameplay itself didn't move the that much.
Stampfi

Return to Video Gaming