Paid mods have come to skyrim

The general-purpose videogame forum.

Paid mods have come to skyrim

Postby Sigma » April 23rd, 2015, 10:03 pm

And I strongly agree with this video.

Haven't heard the news yet? Here's valves official statement on it.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/
Sigma

Re: Paid mods have come to skyrim

Postby Sigma » April 24th, 2015, 5:16 am

If you read this post, you owe me $99.99 for all the hard work I put into writing it. Survive this!

Sarcasm aside, yes mod creators can set their price up to that high, their choice. Also they can put as little or as much work as they want into it.
Sigma

Postby Strato » April 24th, 2015, 9:26 am

I haven't seen it mentioned much, but the modder's cut is only 25% of the sale price. This is a crazy low amount for a digital product sale, one of the lowest I have ever seen. 25% is just completely ridiculous. I'm sure both the game publisher and Valve are getting a cut but they should be giving the modder at least 40-50% of revenue.

Overall, I absolutely support people who are passionate about something being able to turn that into an income stream so I want this to work out. I know there are many people out there who feel Youtubers/Twitch Streamers/Coders should provide them with free content and not be paid for the time they spend doing it. However, my issue with Valve's implementation is that 25% seems like a slap in the face and doesn't properly value the contribution of the modder.
Strato

Postby Strato » April 24th, 2015, 11:23 am

NotGoten72 wrote:Oh my god now the people who were making high quality mods for free will get more than $0 for their hard work. The world is ending.

I will always support content creators being able to monetize their work. I feel like Valve is not providing a reasonable cut to the modder at only 25%.
Strato

Postby Sigma » April 24th, 2015, 12:32 pm

NotGoten72 wrote:Oh my god now the people who were making high quality mods for free will get more than $0 for their hard work. The world is ending.

You're a naive shortsighted person.

Wake up and look a few steps ahead.

Sure I'll support donating to modders but I won't support steams paid mods idea. Not with the way it is right now.
Sigma

Postby Vryheid » April 24th, 2015, 3:06 pm

NotGoten72 wrote:Oh no what a tragedy. Mod creators will be paid for their work now. How will we ever survive this?

There's an argument to be made that creating mods is not "work" any more than writing fanfiction or cosplaying. Modders don't work on commission, they don't have a "boss" or a work schedule they have to upkeep, and their content is entirely based on something they did not create. Mods are supposed to be a product of the passion of their creators for their own enjoyment and that of the community. These modders are effectively rewarded for their efforts not only through the vocal support of fans but by helping to inspire other modders to volunteer their time on other projects, thus continuing the cycle of gamers working together to improve everyone's gaming experience.

Paid mods cut into this cycle in a very damaging way. When one modder decides they don't want to contribute to this open exchange of content, there's less incentive for other modders to participate. This continues with even more modders going the paid route or giving up entirely, with companies like Valve making a killing from this situation the whole way. Eventually mods could go the route of mobile games where the quality and creativity drops to **** and everything is about squeezing as much money from fans as humanly possible. I really hope this doesn't happen.
Vryheid

Postby Infyrin » April 25th, 2015, 9:49 am

I'm split on this.

On one hand, I do feel that yes the modders should be paid for the content they provide to a game, since you obviously have put some amount of time on it and effort.

The other is more along the lines is how far this will go. My only worry is that we could see this everywhere in the workshop and that really may discourage some people with the respective games. As well as not bother with the custom content in the game if everything has a price tag on it. There should be that line drawn with how much passion one puts into their work from how greedy they could get with their work. I've always been a mixed bag when it comes to community-based marketplaces. There will be some people there with honest pricing that want to be fair.

Then you'll have your overzealous sellers that want about as much as a retail game's cost just for like a skin pack or something. All in all, it just makes me steer towards the side where things should just remain where they are and that's free.

I can't be concrete on what to think of this other than I hope it doesn't grow too ridiculous. But from my experiences over the years with community-based marketplaces, I'm not holding my breath.
Infyrin

Postby Vryheid » April 25th, 2015, 11:56 am

Infyrin wrote:On one hand, I do feel that yes the modders should be paid for the content they provide to a game, since you obviously have put some amount of time on it and effort.

Once again, this attitude continues to baffle me. Why do you believe modders need to be bribed to be either A. charitable or B. a decent human being? Are you aware that thousands of open-source programmers and designers work for free on a daily basis and aren't feeling "cheated" over it? I don't believe anyone who is unwilling to create mods for free should be making them to begin with. This is a hobby, not a career.

That being said, I know of paid mods existing since the release of the original StarCraft and probably before that. They didn't destroy the gaming industry or the modding scene, but they were the exception rather than the norm. I think Valve effectively endorsing paid mods is what's problematic here, especially how much they're driving up the price artificially through their royalties scheme.
Vryheid

Postby Infyrin » April 25th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I'm not so strong on that opinion...so don't take it as such >_>
Infyrin

Postby Vryheid » April 25th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Gaben is giving an AMA on reddit now about this so we'll see if the dramawave explodes in the future.
Vryheid

Postby Infyrin » April 25th, 2015, 5:19 pm

As if it isn't already since it is Reddit we're talking here.

Although the comments I'm reading about suggesting a donation option is becoming more and more of an adoptable idea to me.
Infyrin

Postby The Phoenix » April 25th, 2015, 11:49 pm

I don't remember a time where I paid for mods. That just defeats the purpose entirely really.
The reasons I 'liked' using mods was due to the mods being free and accessible to the gaming community.
However imagine if every mod all of a sudden had a price tag attached. The reasons why PC gaming stands popular among consoles was because of the free mods you can download. Not just because of the exclusives (yeah consoles! YOU DON'T HAVE DIABLO II!).
In all seriousness however, I can understand if there's like, a donation thing going one. I just don't want to pay for mods. Though this does not stop the amount of free mods being made now. So in a way, it's not the hugest problem. Though it could, potentially, get out of control.
Rasputin did WWII
The Phoenix

Postby Infyrin » April 28th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Welp, that lasted a long time. Due to criticism that probably wasn't in Valve's favor:

Infyrin

Postby Sigma » April 28th, 2015, 9:35 pm

goten85 wrote:u guys are dum

How many accounts do you have banned so far? Sorry I lost count.
Sigma

Postby Infyrin » April 28th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Sigma wrote:

Attention to this troll shall not be heeded. I've been taking time simply to just report his posts without an ounce of response to give him recently. While it is tempting to point out his absolute immaturity and his time wasted on his fruitless "destiny" to be super mod, he's just not going to learn. He knows very well by now that how he's been acting is not qualities a moderator makes, so he's just straight up failtrolling.

Take the advice~
Infyrin

Postby The Phoenix » April 28th, 2015, 11:42 pm

Infyrin wrote:
Sigma wrote:

Attention to this troll shall not be heeded. I've been taking time simply to just report his posts without an ounce of response to give him recently. While it is tempting to point out his absolute immaturity and his time wasted on his fruitless "destiny" to be super mod, he's just not going to learn. He knows very well by now that how he's been acting is not qualities a moderator makes, so he's just straight up failtrolling.

Take the advice~

Who cares? It's funny. :V
Rasputin did WWII
The Phoenix

Postby Infyrin » April 28th, 2015, 11:58 pm

The Phoenix wrote:

I'll agree that it is rather amusing to a point for him to continue his ways, as it is ridiculous beyond belief. Besides, it was funny for like, a couple days to me before I labeled it all pathetic and sad. However, he's running a cycle that would grow old eventually. If he's a "smart" troll, he'll knowingly continue this cycle in the hopes that people will tire and cave in to his antics. Hell, even talking about him is something he probably wants because he'll feel glorified in whatever satisfaction he deems fit. But, whatever floats your boat really and good god why did you pick that color font to reply with overlapping this shade of gray?
Infyrin

Postby The Phoenix » April 29th, 2015, 3:56 am

Infyrin wrote:
The Phoenix wrote:

But, whatever floats your boat really and good god why did you pick that color font to reply with overlapping this shade of gray?

Is there something wrong with purple?
Rasputin did WWII
The Phoenix

Postby Infyrin » April 29th, 2015, 9:12 am

The Phoenix wrote:
Infyrin wrote:
The Phoenix wrote:

But, whatever floats your boat really and good god why did you pick that color font to reply with overlapping this shade of gray?

Is there something wrong with purple?

No.

Infyrin

Postby Yoshi[NX] » April 29th, 2015, 7:17 pm

The purple is hard as **** to read.
[center]Image[/center]
Yoshi[NX]

Next

Return to Video Gaming