Nintendo NX?

The general-purpose videogame forum.

Nintendo NX?

Postby Jint » March 17th, 2015, 5:59 pm

So I don't know much about this but apparently Nintendo is working on the Wii U successor codenamed "Nintendo NX"
They will also be working with some company called DeNa to help develop games for mobile devices and claims this will be a whole new concept.
I've never been a big fan of Wii or Wii U, but I can tell you Nintendo is known for creating new things and trends in the past, and I'm sure they just might do the same this time around too.
Maybe this next console won't put them in 3rd in the next console race.
Jint

Re: Nintendo NX?

Postby Prince Shondronai » March 18th, 2015, 4:13 pm

"The next console race" isn't that much of a factor, given how recently Sony and Microsoft released their latest consoles.

Nintendo's problem will be going up against the PS4 and XB1, which already have a grasp on the market. If they can't hit hard with a strong launch, they'll have a hard time selling any more units than the Wii U has.

As for DeNa and mobile games, I don't expect it to yield much more than Nintendo's past partnerships with outside developers for PC titles. They're most likely not going to be putting a 3D Mario platformer or a full Zelda adventure on mobile. Just trendy fluff with Nintendo IP themes.
Prince Shondronai

Postby Sigma » March 19th, 2015, 8:22 am

From what I've been reading, the NX sounds like they'll be trying to make it competitive with android/ios hardware, offering unique features that neither can offer yet or something along those lines. I think overall it would be something to bridge the gap between their consoles/handhelds. My guess is they turn the wiiu pad into DS/Pad hybrid of some kind. That or they try going for a VR headset...
Sigma

Postby Jint » March 19th, 2015, 10:55 pm

I'd be totally down for a VR headset!
Jint

Postby Vryheid » March 21st, 2015, 9:00 am

Engadget is pretty on point when it comes to Nintendo's retarded stubbornness on mobile gaming:

So what changed Iwata's (and Nintendo's) mind on moving Nintendo properties to mobile? "It would be a waste not to use these devices," Iwata said last night. It would be. So why has Nintendo not been utilizing them for years now? Iwata compares it to the maturation of television, and Nintendo's origins as a playing card- and toy-making company.

"It is structurally the same as when Nintendo, which was founded 125 years ago when there were no TVs, started to aggressively take advantage of TV as a communication channel. Now that smart devices have grown to become the window for so many people to personally connect with society, it would be a waste not to use these devices."

In so many words, Iwata and co. believe that smart devices have matured to the point of Nintendo engaging the platform.

Of course, for those of us living in reality, smart devices have dominated mainstream culture for the past several years. The first iPhone launched in 2007. And the first iPhone was far from the first smartphone; it launched long after smartphone gaming established itself. Sure, there are 50 million 3DS handheld game consoles in the wild; there are well over half a billion iPhones out there.

As evidenced by the laundry list of editorials over the years, Nintendo is entering the smartphone game late. It's just not admitting as much.

After all the horseshit Nintendo has done with their overpriced Eshop games, system locking memory cards, killing Snapchat, and deliberately crippling social interaction options, I can't help but think that being forced to properly compete with other mobile gaming developers is nothing but a net positive for gamers. Yeah the games may just end up as just a bunch of ports of old titles like 90% of Square's and Sega's mobile output, but even then they'll be put on a system which is a lot less restrictive and more convenient to use.
Vryheid

Postby Prince Shondronai » March 21st, 2015, 1:13 pm

Again, I don't think we'll even see ports of Nintendo's NES/SNES games to mobile platforms.

I believe their entire thinking behind this move is "Millions of people will download generic things that are barely games on their phones. These apps are developed for peanuts and yield massive profits. Imagine how many people will download similar apps that feature our popular IPs."

This isn't Nintendo stepping onto the mobile stage with the intent to dedicate the full force of their developers to their style of games. This is Nintendo capitalizing on the massive audience available on mobile platforms without compromising the content that's only available on their own hardware.
Prince Shondronai

Postby Vryheid » March 22nd, 2015, 12:17 pm

Prince Shondronai wrote:Again, I don't think we'll even see ports of Nintendo's NES/SNES games to mobile platforms.

I do, considering how much money Nintendo has made from the Virtual Console and how the previously given examples of Sega and Square have done just that.

I believe their entire thinking behind this move is "Millions of people will download generic things that are barely games on their phones. These apps are developed for peanuts and yield massive profits. Imagine how many people will download similar apps that feature our popular IPs."

This isn't Nintendo stepping onto the mobile stage with the intent to dedicate the full force of their developers to their style of games. This is Nintendo capitalizing on the massive audience available on mobile platforms without compromising the content that's only available on their own hardware.

I don't really care what their "intent" is or how many shareholders Iwata thinks he can appease with this move. I like software developers being forced to price and develop their games competitively on an open market (a la Steam), and no matter how big or small these games end up they'll at the very least not be locked to Nintendo's hardware. That in itself is a significant improvement.
Vryheid

Postby Prince Shondronai » March 22nd, 2015, 7:22 pm

Vryheid wrote:
Prince Shondronai wrote:Again, I don't think we'll even see ports of Nintendo's NES/SNES games to mobile platforms.

I do, considering how much money Nintendo has made from the Virtual Console and how the previously given examples of Sega and Square have done just that.

Sega and Square don't have to worry about mobile game sales resulting in lost hardware sales. Nintendo, on the other hand, could drive sales of their hardware with things like "Thanks for playing The Legend of Zelda Power Drop Puzzle Battle for your iPhone! Remember these fine Legend of Zelda titles for the Nintendo Entertainment System and SNES? Play them for only $X.XX, only on your Wii U or 3DS!"
Prince Shondronai

Postby Dexter » March 23rd, 2015, 12:16 pm

Almost seems sad to me that they're already mentioning a new system when I feel the Wii U needs their attention the most. Wii U has always seemed a bit neglected, especially compared to the 3DS. I'm not sure how much they expect people to get into their next console given the way they've handled the Wii U.
Dexter

Postby Vryheid » March 23rd, 2015, 10:58 pm

Prince Shondronai wrote:
Vryheid wrote:

Sega and Square don't have to worry about mobile game sales resulting in lost hardware sales. Nintendo, on the other hand, could drive sales of their hardware with things like "Thanks for playing The Legend of Zelda Power Drop Puzzle Battle for your iPhone! Remember these fine Legend of Zelda titles for the Nintendo Entertainment System and SNES? Play them for only $X.XX, only on your Wii U or 3DS!"

That might be the case if Nintendo emulators on mobile devices didn't have an absurdly huge audience despite being "exclusively" offered on home consoles. These people are not going to buy a Nintendo system when more convenient options for playing these games exist already. Nintendo can't afford to just ignore the tens of millions of potential consumers they could get by offering a convenient, low cost alternative on mobile that could potentially include features such as bonus content, save states, or online connectivity.
Vryheid

Postby Vivisect » March 29th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Dexter wrote:Almost seems sad to me that they're already mentioning a new system when I feel the Wii U needs their attention the most. Wii U has always seemed a bit neglected, especially compared to the 3DS. I'm not sure how much they expect people to get into their next console given the way they've handled the Wii U.

I feel Nintendo swindled us with the Wii U. I can understand their whole "innovation" hooplah and what not, but I don't really care for it. If Nintendo keeps pulling more wild card crap I'm gonna reconsider supporting them. From NES > NES > N64 > Gamecube it was good for me. Each console offered good, no, great titles! A good amount of third party support and exclusives to set it apart. We had choices from role playing games to shooters to platformers... what have they done since but just squat down on our chests and give us a big steaming one? I own a Wii U and have one game, Smash Bros. Wii U. I'll probably wind up purchasing this new console, but I hope I don't have to ***** about it constantly like this garbage ass Wii U that's just sitting here not offering me that innovative gameplay they promised.
Vivisect

Postby Sigma » March 29th, 2015, 7:53 pm

RTU said it best, they (nintendo) knew it's third party support was dead when it came out.

Sigma

Return to Video Gaming