Yoshi's Island

Posted by Panda

Has anyone else played this game? I'm not sure how common it is, but it's really fun. I've beaten it a few times, and I think it's the best side-scroller ever made. What do you guys think about it?

Posted by Anethemo Rex

its a good game. i didtn get to play it that much but what i did play was awesome. they changed it a little bit so you could do new stuff that tehy never putin mario games before it came out. like shooting eggs and stuff like that.

Posted by chec

yeah i used to play this game almost every day a few years ago, it is truly a wicked masterpiece. besides yoshi is one of the coolest characters ever made

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting chec: yeah i used to play this game almost every day a few years ago, it is truly a wicked masterpiece. besides yoshi is one of the coolest characters ever made

Agreed wholeheartedly. Yoshi's Island is also one of the most sentimental games for me... the music and imagery alone does it. It's like an interactive storybook, and thinking of the long nights I used to spend playing it and letting my imagination run wild only enhances that feeling of sentimentality.

And besides... who couldn't love Yoshi? And then there's Kamek, too. I'm so glad that I have a working SNES... I think it's about time to get lost in this one again pretty soon.

Posted by Klarth

Ever since I got my PSP and a load of emulators for it, I've been playing both Super Mario World games on a daily basis. I lost the GBA port of it I had, so yeah... I really love the visual style.

Posted by Ant

The gameplay is odd to say the least if you want to compare to other Mario games like there were back in the day. But it's kinda of surprising to think that to this day they have yet to re-utilize a similar set-up or something akin to that anyways. If pulled off correctly it would be the best Mario ever made. Just guessing.

Posted by Alpolio

It's a really cool game, but I don't think it's the best sidescroller ever made. That honor should go to Super Mario Bros 3. Super Mario All-Stars has a version of it with updated graphics.

Posted by Kamek

Oh man.

The art in that game was just too awesome for words. I was reading the Wikipedia Article on it, showing how it got it's art direction, and I'm glad it did because the story book look was just great.

And who doesn't love the game Kamek was in;)?

Posted by vgmaster13

i think it was one of the best game for the SNES and I enjoyed it a lot and the look of it was just well done and is one of the best side scrollers. When they tried to make a remake for the Nintendo 64 it was differnet story and and a better look so it was pretty good. So it was one hell of a game

Posted by Zeta

My favorite Mario game. The music from this game seems to get stuck in my head often. I've almost completed the GBA version, I just need to get a 100 on the 'Items are Fun!' stage.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Wait, is there anything new on the GBA version?

I've noticed a lot of games moving to GBA versions... Are there different things on these versions? That's why I haven't bought SMB 3 (and others) for the GBA, because I already have it for the NES and I have SM All stars, so I figured I would just be getting another of the exact same game.

Posted by Podoboo

I love this game as well. It really does have an amazing unique gameplay to it.

But I don't really consider it a Super Mario Game. I consider it an amazing spin-off. There really is nothing like it, kind of sad it didn't get a true sequel on the SNES, that would have been amazing.

Posted by Desperado

Easily one of the best 2D platformers out there. Even after 11 years.

Posted by Samusfreak

I love this game even after so many years if I have to choose between this game and a new game I would take the old game because this is really a Nintendoclassic and I would never sell this game, not even for 100$ !!!

Posted by Fate

It's my favorite game for the NES.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Princess Fate: It's my favorite game for the NES.

I think you mean SNES?

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Wait, is there anything new on the GBA version?

Well there are some extra levels I think, and maybe more mini-games, but then there is also degraded sound quality, and such. Also, instead of Yoshi making nice Tigger boing noises when jumping, he makes his Yoshi's Story noises, including the annoying constipated grunt noises when fluttering.

With that said, I HATE the GBA version. I have the original SNES version, and I believe I still have the original box. I do know I have the manual. I play it here and there. Awesome game.

Quoting Podoboo: There really is nothing like it, kind of sad it didn't get a true sequel on the SNES, that would have been amazing.

I know what you mean, that would have been cool. Oh well, Yoshi's Island DS looks promising! I just wish I could figure out the dang story.

Posted by Fate

Oh, yeah, what was I thinking? SNES.

Posted by Proto Man

Just a theory, but could it be that the Dark world where Bowser's castle is in THIS game could be Valley of Bowser in Super Mario World?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Proto Man: Just a theory, but could it be that the Dark world where Bowser's castle is in THIS game could be Valley of Bowser in Super Mario World?

I suppose so, but I don't think it's ever expressed in the game.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I suppose so, but I don't think it's ever expressed in the game.

No, not in the game per se. Looking at the two games though, it would kind of make sense. Both take place in the Dinosaur World, and where else would Bowser come back to set up camp (in SMW) except where he first started out? Just something to think about I guess.

Anyhow, who has beaten the game in its entirety? Meaning they got 100% in all the levels, including bonus levels? My brother did, but it took him a while. He was crazy about that game though. He made up whole charts on it and stuff. If I ever find them, I might scan them for you guys.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I've come close. I've gotten 100% on worlds 1, 2, 3 and 4. Also, most of 5 and 6, but I still have a little ways to go.