question (free rep for awncers)

Posted by muffla

i have one of the old fat ps2's and recently some of the newer games (mainly god of war, buurnout revenge, and swocom 2) wont load it will just say disk read error
the disks are not scrached but the olny game that really does work is gta vice city

plz help

:amy: <--- prety hot for a cartoon :rolleyes:

Posted by Lord of Spam

Sounds like theres something wrong with the disk reader, but I cant be sure just from that description.

Generally, if all forms of media display errors, the problem is with the reader.

Posted by Xqars

The disk reader is probably busted. Either buy one of those manuals from eBay or just buy the new PS2.

Posted by Panda

I don't think it is that.

Posted by Poco

Take the top off, take the top off the disc reader section, rub the eye with a q-tip, and it'll work just fine.

Posted by Jumper

it is defintyly the disk reader... i should know

Posted by Lord of Spam

Sell it to game stop, then but a slim one. Just do your best to pass it off as working perfectly fine.

Posted by Colonel

I wouldn't really recomend you to get a slim because mine MADE alot of noise, and it USE to get really hot, Then it caught fire, and is in the trash. But if you wana go for it.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Poco]Take the top off, take the top off the disc reader section, rub the eye with a q-tip, and it'll work just fine.

Thats how I fixed my PS2 aswell.

All I did was take off the back, and opened this one this with screws in it on the Disc tray area, then you will be able to see the lens, then use a Q-tip.

This is how I fixed it, I got this from Techtv.com (when it was techtv) but if you believe its the disc read error here is what ya should do: (This is not really how I fixed my PS2 though. I never used the cotton swabs or the alcohol to clean my Lens, I just cleaned the lens with a Q-tip, and put my PS2 back together and it worked fine again.)

What you need
Part 1 or Page 1:

Before attempting the fix described below, read through this guide completely in order to familiarize yourself with the steps involved. Once that is done, gather the following items.
Standard Phillips screwdriver
#0 Phillips screwdriver (or eyeglass-sized)
Cotton swabs
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
Felt-tip pen or marker

Optional cleaning tools.
Vacuum
Can of compressed air

PS2 Tip No. 1: It's best to use a vacuum for cleaning the dust from electronic devices. Wiping the surface or dusting with compressed air may force contaminants inside of the device, making things worse.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Part 2 or Page 2:

Screws and stickers

Before you do anything, disconnect the PS2's power and video connections. On the bottom of the PS2 are 10 square-shaped screw covers. Four of these double as rubber feet for the PS2 (when the device is laying flat.) Remove these covers to access and remove the screws. Some of the screws will be longer/shorter than the others so keep track of what goes where.

Removing the case

Once you've removed the screws, it's time to break the seal and completely void whatever warranty you may have had. Seriously, there is a "warranty seal" sticker near the PS2's power connector that must be removed in order to gain entrance to the innards of the beast.

With the screws removed and the warranty sticker "void," gently turn the PS2 right side up. Carefully remove the top cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it toward the front of the unit until it clears the controller jacks as well as the front of the disc tray.

You'll notice a metallic ribbon or white wires (depending on your PS2's age) connecting the main base to the eject/play buttons on the top cover. Remove the tape that normally holds this wire in place and set the top cover off to the side. Don't try to disconnect the ribbon/wires. There should be enough slack for the cover to lie off to the side.

Before moving on to the disc tray cover, now is a good time to blow out the dust that has collected around the fan and main circuit board. A can of compressed air will do the job nicely.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Part 3 or Page 3:
With the PS2 splayed open, the disc tray cover removed, and the unit plugged in, eject the disc tray.

Toward the back of the PS2, behind the laser, is a white gear about 0.75-inches in diameter. This gear adjusts the distance between the disc surface and the laser's eye. It's also the key to fixing a PS2 that frequently suffers from disc read errors (DREs.) On the left side of the white gear will be a notched metal tab or a smaller brass-colored gear.

Use a felt-tip pen to mark the white gear at the point it contacts the tab/smaller gear. This provides a reference point for the original position of the gear as we prepare to make our adjustment(s). Now would be a good time to gently clean the laser's eye using a cotton swab dampened with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Adjusting the gear position in order to fix DREs involves the following steps.
Turn the white gear a notch or two (clockwise or counterclockwise)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Insert a DVD
If it works, insert a purple game disc
If it works, insert an audio CD
If all threework, you are finished.

If any of the disc types fail to be read follow these steps.
Eject the disc
Remove the disc tray cover
Move the gear a notch or two (perhaps in the other direction)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Retest until all three disc types are properly detected

Once you have correctly positioned the gear and all disc types are reading properly, reassemble your PS2 and get gaming!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Part 4 or Page 4:
This guide describes how to adjust the distance between the disc surface and laser pickup. I have read reports of DREs being caused by improper laser voltage levels, and this fix will do nothing for that type of problem. DREs caused by an incorrect gap between the laser and disc appear more common with early PS2 units, as they used a small spinning gear as the stop rather than the notched tab found in later models.

Also, this fix will not remedy a disc-specific playback problem. My PS2 was among the first batch released in the United States, and I have since "upgraded" it with Sony'sPlayStation 2DVD remote that includes the V2.10DVD software. I've noticed numerous playback issues have disappeared since applying this software upgrade.

If your PS2 doubles as your primaryDVD player, Sony's remote/software is worth the $15 to $20. Unfortunately, it requires a sacrifice of just over 2MB on a memory card in order to store the update.

Posted by Xeal

I heard that you can send it in to Sony and they will fix it for free, except the shipment cost.

Posted by Crazy K

Its cheaper to fix it yourself. But if you do want to be safe, then your best bet is so send it in to sony to get it fixed.

Posted by neff4president

i think u should just get a big lung full of air and blow with all your might might into the disk drive, then slap your ps2 and say "there *****, i hope you like that penis breath, you'll be tasting it if you dont soon start working!"

then it should work like a charm!

unless it didnt work before, because it wont fix anything, its just fun to do.... i do it all the time!

: VOTE 4 NEFF

Posted by DBZKid10

Go to the store you bought it from and say"my PS2 isn't working."

Posted by Random

Quoting DBZKid10: Go to the store you bought it from and say"my PS2 isn't working."

That won't do you any good dumb***

Posted by TimeSkipz

Your disk reader laser is dieing out, happens eventually. Call Sony

Posted by muffla

this is a very old thread. i ended up throwin the **** thing out and movin on the bigger and better things. i love my 360

Posted by TimeSkipz

Somehow it ended up in the new posts button, I didn't notice how old this thread was.

Wait what? PS2=****? and 360=love? PS3= teh ****tiest love