The Chronicles of Narnia *Potential spoilers*

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Okay, We all know the big-budget flick is just around the corner, released in roughly a week from today, but what are you all expecting of it?

You see, I've read the Lord of the Rings, and the Chronicles of Narnia, and I can say this about it. The Lord of the Rings books were very long, and very involved. To make them into movies means to cut a lof stuff out. Likewise with the Harry Potter books.

But CoN are actually much shorter books, which could be successfully made into a 2 hour movies, without omitting anything big.

Onto the books themselves.

Which was your personal favorite? I liked A Horse and His Boy, the fifth one written by Lewis. It takes place entirely in Narnia, and it's about Narnians, not Englishmen who have somehow traveled to Narnia. Most of it isn't as action packed as Prince Caspian or LWWD, but it's fasicinating to see the adventures of Cor (Shasta) and how the Narnians lived. When he runs into Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, it's weird because he's seeing them through eyes other than theirs, and this is the only time you really get that.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Hmmm, I remember really liking that one, as well. I read the series over ten years ago, so I can't recall a whole lot from them. I'm definitely reading them over sometime soon, though. Then I'll tell ya which is my fave.

Posted by Hyper

I remember LWWD the most, so I have to go with that. I do plan on seeing the movie. I remember being really into the series when I was in elementary school :cool:

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Hmmm... Well, LWWD was an excellent book, but it's too done for me. I've read it more than the others because when I read them, I read from beginning to end, and LWWD does come first, so I always read it first, and then quit reading it and so now, I've read it more than the others, and I know it better than the others, so it's lost a lot of its appeal that it once had.

I think the Magician's Nephew is the first book...

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Actually Lewis wrote them in this order:

Lion witch and wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of Dawn Treader
Silver Chair
A Horse and his boy
Magician's Nephew
Last Battle

Recently, in the newer releases of the books, they've reordered them so that they are chronological:

Magician's Nephew
LWWD
Horse and his boy
Prince Caspian
Dawn Treader
Silver Chair
Last Battle

But Lewis wrote them in a certain order for a reason. They make more sense when you read them in the order that Lewis wrote them. You aren't supposed to know how Narnia came to be by the time that Edmund, Susan, Lucy and Peter first arrive. You're just supposed to know it's some fantasy world.

Then when you read Magician's Nephew, all the pieces fall into place, and the five books before it make a lot more sense. Now that everything makes sense, it's time to bring in the finale, The Last Battle.

The first five keep you guessing, the sixth clears it up, the seventh finishes it off.

Yeah, I probably didn't read them in the order he intended them being in, but this time around I will.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I wish I could remember. Geez, I was seven when I read those