Decent classical/soundtrack-ish music?

Posted by Richaod

I'm looking for... not necessarily the most acclaimed compositions, but any really good stuff that people actually actively listen to. I'm going to try and get the Carmina Burana and some Nicholas Paganini, but apart from that I don't really have much of a reference point apart from your stereotypical "Beethoven and Mozart" response. Preferably epic stuff; I'd prefer instrumental stuff to operas or soundtracks, but whatever. [spoiler]The other reason for this thread is to see if there'll be any "CLASSICAL MUSIC IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD" responses.[/spoiler]

Posted by MetalVox~55

Yngwie transcribed for piano. Nuff said.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: Yngwie transcribed for piano. Nuff said.

Hah. I've got the Concerto Suite already; I actually wouldn't mind similar material to that.

For the next person who says "LOL GET EPICA: THE SCORE", here's a pre-emptive :chainsaw:

Oh, and really, I'm looking for the type of music that would've inspired your symphonic bands like Nightwish, Adagio, Symphony X, Therion etc. to actually write their own music in that vein.

Posted by sabre

I've heard [url=http://www.angelzoom.de/]Angelzoom[/url] are pretty good, but I never really checked out any of their stuff to say. They seem to match your description though, judging by some reviews I saw.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Popol Vuh and Icebreaker.

Posted by Porcupine

Yann Tiersen. :D

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Well, anything by Michael Hoenig and Jeremy Soule is orgasmic.

Posted by Klarth

Rob Dougan's stuff is good.

Posted by Arwon

Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is my favourite piece of classical music ever, it's quite catchy.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Richaod: The other reason for this thread is to see if there'll be any "CLASSICAL MUSIC IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD" responses.

You're so clever!

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz:
Richoad, shut up

Quoting MetalVox~55: Shut.

Up.

[quote=Klarth]
Richaod is an idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot!

Posted by heyimhappy

sigur ros (any of their cds are great) and B-Tribe (kind of like enigma)

Posted by Hammered On

John Williams and Klaus Badelt.