HUGE homebrew news - READ!

Posted by Klarth

http://psp3d.com/showthread.php?t=292

[quote]Recently we brought you news on the SXT Firmware Flasher. Well now we have some big news regarding it.

It has been confirmed that 100% of 'virgin' 1.5 PSPs downgrade to 1.0 smoothly.

How do we define 'virgin' firmware 1.5 PSPs? If you BOUGHT your PSP with the 1.5 firmware ALREADY on it, and have NEVER upgraded or downgraded since the purchase, then you have a virgin PSP.

Out of 5 tests on these untouched firmware 1.5 PSPs, 100% of them downgraded to 1.0 without a hitch, and with region coding removed.

EDIT: 4 MORE confirmed reports of untouched 1.5 firmware PSPs being downgraded to 1.0 successfully have been sent to us. This brings us to a total of 100% downgrading or 9 out of 9 successful attempts. Expect a video of the whole process coming soon!

What does this mean? Devs can NOW start making custom firmware for the PSP. The process used by the firmware flasher is using custom code to replace the NAND memory with new root files. Therefore, since we are NOT using the upgrade EBOOTs to downgrade, almost ANYTHING can be written to the firmware.

Team SXT, Yoshihiro, and PSP3D are currently working on finding out how to get this firmware flasher to work with all versions of the 1.5 PSP, so that we can have custom firmware for all!

Think about it. All the features on the new 2.6 firmware on a CUSTOMIZED firmware which is made by devs to support homebrew, yet have all the features of 2.6, and more, as we can now incorporate Flash and other codecs, like DivX into our custom firmwares.

You can grab the file to test it on your own (warning, we are not responsible for any possible damage/brickage to your PSP) here.

DO NOT USE ON A UPGRADED/DOWNGRADED 1.5 PSP. IT WILL BRICK.

To use it, put the two folders in the /GAME/ directory of you original 1.5 PSP. Put the .bin file in the ROOT of your memory stick. Run the EBOOT from your PSP.

So. Here we have it. A 1.50 > 1.00 downgrader. 1.00 can run unsigned code without exploits - Just go to the Game menu and select your emulator, tech demo or tetris clone. Unfortunately, there's no web browser, regionfree player or anything like that in 1.00 - It's a gaming machine with limited media functionality. Once there's custom firmware, we'll have 1.00 exploitability and 2.60 features. This'll mean that there'll be custom firmware incorporating homebrew functionality with full kernel mode (wifi, IR and USB ahoy) WITH NO NEED FOR AN EXPLOIT OF ANY KIND. And it's likely that any custom firmware created will incorporate parts of the 2.00 libraries, so it's SOCOM and GTA for all once one of these arrives.

Try the downgrader for yourself IF YOU HAVE A 1.50 PSP THAT HAS NEVER BEEN UPGRADED OR DOWNGRADED. OTHERWISE IT WILL BE BRICKED.

Posted by rudybaga2

omg this is so HUGE

Posted by Lord of Spam

Holy crap, this is awesome.

This could seriously help the PSP survive if enough people get word of this. There has always been a good underground market for moded games, as the Half Life franchise demonstrates.

Oh, and I've never heard the term "bricked" before, but I'm assuming it means something along the lines fo "get screwed beyond repair."

Posted by Klarth

Bricked = Your PSP becomes as useful as a brick - ie; it'll never turn on ever again and you have to make up some bullshat story to get it covered by warranty. I think it was Symantec who coined it when the "PSPBrick" fake downgrader virus was going around.

Another unrelated cool thing coming to the PSP is homebrew Quake II. Yay.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Klarth: I think it was Symantec who coined it when the "PSPBrick" fake downgrader virus was going around.

Silly Klarthy, "bricked" has been around since day one! Killer-X was the one who made it popular when we were running Swaploit way back when.

As far as the news, I still have my original v1.50 "virgin," but I don't really want to downgrade it yet. I'll wait for one of the custom firmwares to come out; I hear Yoshihiro plans on putting together a bastardized version of 1.0 that features 2.0's web browser - intresting stuff. I'll keep you all posted to what I hear.