In Flames - Come Clarity

Posted by Richaod

Yep, leaked.

I've already listened to the whole album, and my verdict is that it is undoubtedly better than Soundtrack To Your Escape and Reroute To Remain. It still retains the slightly darker feel of those two albums, but as the band members said, it does have more guitar harmonies, and the general songcraft is definitely better. It has a somewhat more experimental feel too, the song Dead End featuring some fantastic female vocals during the verses (can't quite pick out who, possibly Sharon den Adel, but that's probably just wishful thinking), and the title track nearly being a sequel to Jester Script Transfigured from Whoracle, but with clean vocals. The closing track Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone is nearly ambient, and it seems to cut off just when it's about to get good.

Basically, the songs are all shorter, with few being over 4 minutes long. The song structures also seem to have a Reroute To Remain-like feel, with Drifter-like verses, but fairly melodic choruses and bridges. The drumming sounds much better than on the last two albums too. Highlights: Take This Life, Leeches, Dead End, Come Clarity, Pacing Death's Trail, Our Infinite Struggle (which is practically half the album).

I'm not let down by this at all. Anyway, I've said enough. Discuss.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to add that the guitar solos (where they're present) are great.

Posted by netman

Thats the second time you've mentioned you've had the leaked copy we are very proud of you!

I got the album more out of curiousity, and I'm happy with it. Especially Reflect the Storm with its oh so sexy chorus.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting netman: Thats the second time you've mentioned you've had the leaked copy we are very proud of you!

I got the album more out of curiousity, and I'm happy with it. Especially Reflect the Storm with its oh so sexy chorus.

For the people who don't read "Now Playing".

I thought you didn't like In Flames...

Posted by Hyper

I liked "Reflect The Storm" the most. The rest... eh, too "OMGYELLING" for me. The first two tracks kinda blended in with each other because of how short and screamy they were.

I'll have to listen to it all the way through again to make a better comment, I guess.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Will not be downloading this, as I respect this band too much for me to steal money from them. Waiting for cd to come out. Didn't read thread.

Posted by Hyper

That didn't require a reply :cool:

Just listened to Reflect The Storm again. I really like this song now :(

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Hyper: I liked "Reflect The Storm" the most. The rest... eh, too "OMGYELLING" for me. The first two tracks kinda blended in with each other because of how short and screamy they were.

I'll have to listen to it all the way through again to make a better comment, I guess.

The title track is pretty much all singing. Dead End has... yeah, female vocals too.

Honestly, I don't mind Anders Friden's vocals compared to other death vocalists. Generally I tend to have thick enough skin (...on the eardrum) to just ignore harsh/bad vocals (Paul Baloff of Exodus is probably the exception, he's just horrible)and listen selectively to the melodic guitar lines. There wasn't quite enough melody on Soundtrack To Your Escape, but it's pretty balanced now.

Oh, and older In Flames still has harsh vocals, but "OMGYELLING" type. Moonshield, Jotun, Embody The Invisible, Dead Eternity, Behind Space '99, Colony etc.

Posted by Hyper

The only other In Flames song I've heard that wasn't on this album was Embody The Invisible. It was on one of the Tony Hawk games' soundtracks. I haven't heard it in awhile, though, so I can't remember the vocals much.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Hyper: The only other In Flames song I've heard that wasn't on this album was Embody The Invisible. It was on one of the Tony Hawk games' soundtracks. I haven't heard it in awhile, though, so I can't remember the vocals much.

Unfortunately, not on one I've ever played. :(

Yeah, his vocals have sort of changed a lot. On Dark Tranquillity's first album, they were like a low rasp. On The Jester Race and Whoracle, more death-metallish, and on Colony and Clayman, like now but a bit lower and less... forced.