BIG Computer Problem (Parents' Computer)

Posted by Dark Link

Well something has gone wrong with my parents' computer. I've tried fixing it, but so far no luck. Here's the current situation.

1. Dad tried a System Restore cause Norton and a couple other programs have gone missing.

2. System Restore freezes on him, thus having him reset the computer.

3. Most Files are now blank.

4. Search Comes up blank

5. System Restore Comes up blank.

6. All Anti-Virus programs are now missing

7. Reverting to the Original System Restore file comes up with the same problem. System Restore is Blank when clicked on.

We haven't tried Safe Mode yet, and even with a 'run' command for System Restore will not work. (We don't even know it tho, but since SR is blank...yeah) I don't know what went wrong and how the SR froze, but I think we're in a Continous Lock Loop here. There's no way to SR the computer, unless Safe mode will fix it (haven't tried).

Posted by Proto Man

Sounds like a virus went rampage on your computer. You might need to reformat the whole thing.

Posted by Darth Vader

Protoman is stupid, all you have to do is take the computer to teh shop.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Darth Vader]Protoman is stupid, all you have to do is take the computer to teh shop.
Only to pay them to format your machine for you. I would suggest that Dark Link tried to format and re-install Windows before I would suggest he takes it to some overpriced technitian that will most likely do the same thing anyway. Not every technitian did what they claimed they did.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Try something like UnDelete, that might be able to retrieve a lot of your files before a format.

Posted by Dark Link

Well My dad found out what happened (Pretty funny and sad), and is now able to fix it...hopefully.

Apparently he got two emails from some Texas University and included in the emails were passwords to activate the account. What we just found out yesterday was the emails were very tricky, yet fake emails that contained Those Mcafee (sp?) Worm Viruses.

Those viruses start in the email, kill it, then work on the computer and kill ALL Anti-Virus Programs. After the anti-virus programs are down...It kills the Search, Run, and SR programs. Finally it kills Internet Connection ><

The funny: My dad went against his OWN word (Which told my sisters' and I to NEVER open any 'weird' emails and just delete them) and opened the 'weird' emails.

The Sad: Computer went BOOM

The Good: Internet connection was restored! (YAY!) Now my dad can download the patch to stop the virus and hopefully restore SOMETHING at least and let him re-install everything that went boom.