Xbox 360 Impressions

Posted by Axis

So I got my 360 yesterday and spent a good 16 hours with it, straight. So here is my rundown:

The console: Pretty slick looking, the hardrive is very easy to detach and put back on. Setting up controllers while there's 2 360's in the room can be troublesome if you don't what you're doing. Everything was very easy to set-up and trouble free.

The Games

Perfect Dark Zero: Out of the 4 titles that I played last night, this one was the least impressive graphically. This game needs some AA in some spots. When certain areas come by the jaggies are very noticeable. The gameplay for the most part if very solid. I've played the first 3 missions of the game and so far its been pretty good, nothing mind-blowing, but fun to play. The game is very easy to get into and the learning curve is about 5 minutes if you're experienced with FPS's. Multiplayer is probably the strongest point of this game, the bots are incredibly fun to play with and there's nothing like a good 8 players with 8 bots on Secret Agent death match. There is a very wide range of guns, some of them are very effective while others are just...bizarre. Overall my time with Perfect Dark Zero was very satisfying. If you can only afford one 2 games...then you might need to pass on this one, because this isn't the best shooter on the 360.

Kameo: Elements of Power: Kameo is the adventure game that I've been looking for the past 5 years. I don't think I've had so much fun with an adventure game since Banjo-Tooie. The game is full of puzzles, but unfortunately, they're pretty easy to do. The first boss I came across was challenging, but way too short. The controls have to get some getting used to, but are very easy to control once you've played with it for a good 30 minutes. The gameplay is great, you're always doing something, either you're solving puzzles, beating the living crap out of trolls, etc. If you're looking for an adventure game then I highly recommend picking this game up.

Project Gotham Racing 3: This game is great. There's probably no other way to put it. I played this game for a good 3 hours straight just playing the single player alone. This is probably the best looking game for 360 right now, IMO. The detail on the cars and in the buildings is wonderful. The only downsides I can find is there are a few noticable jaggies and there's only 5 locations: Tokyo, New York, London, Las Vegas, and The Ring. Overall the city that I was most impressed with was Las Vegas. Bizarre was very creative in using the strip and surrounding areas to come up with a great racing city. When you play this game at night, it's probably on of the most amazing things I've ever seen. The gameplay is similar to PGR2, which isn't a bad thing at all, for most people. If you're looking for something new in PGR3 that's different from the others...you might be out of luck here. But there wasn't much you could add to the game in the first place anyways. The Live features for PGR3 are wonderful, Gotham TV runs great and playing online against other people is a blast. So overall, if you're a fan of racers, pick this one up definitely. If not, then pass.

Call Of Duty 2: This is the best shooter on Xbox 360, period. I was amazed on how wonderful this game ran on the 360. There was NOT 1 jaggy in this game from what I could see. This game runs at 60 FPS and has very sharp graphics. The smoke effects are truly amazing in this game as well. Probably the most jaw-dropping thing about this game is the A.I. I was playing one mission and we were running down through a house and my ally opened the door and saw the bad guy. What does he do? He takes a table near him, puts it in front of him, then kicks it on its side to use for cover. Next, he pulled a grenade and banked it off the wall and blew the guy up. That's not it. I saw my friend playing another level where it was a sniping mission and a guy was hiding behind a wall hiding from the enemy sniper. He takes off his helmet, puts it on the gun, and holds it out to make it look he's sneaking by. At that moment, a bullet hits his helmet and spins around, he immediatly jurked it back and but the helmet back on his head and went a different route. My time with Call of Duty 2 was awesome, just awesome. The only down side to the game? 8 player multiplayer over Xbox Live. But no need to worry, there's news of a patch that will include 16 players over Live.

Overall my experience with the Xbox 360 was very good. I will now go back to playing it all day today. The past 2 days I've only gotten 2 hours of sleep, and still as energetic as when I went to go get it. If you have any questions please ask me, I'll be free to answer.

Sorry if there is any grammatical errors, but I'm in a hurry right now.

Posted by Random

Thats basically how I thought of it. Though I didn't get to play PGR3 or Kameo, just Perfect Dark Zero (which I purchased), and I got to play Call of Duty 2. It's very sweet. After christmas, ima try to pick up a HD Tv.

Posted by Dexter

I've been spending most of my time with Perfect Dark's multiplayer. It is fantastic. We've been having a blast and I'm sure we will be spending lots of time with it over the Thanksgiving break. I haven't been able to play the single-player yet. I've been so occupied with school, I haven't been able to spend much time with the system so far. It is overwhelming. I can't wait to get home tonight to play it some more. The next four days will be very relaxing and comforting. I'm pretty excited, but I'm more into Rare than the actual Xbox. Morrowind is the only other game I'm looking forward to getting in the future. Kameo is the only other game I currently got. I'm saving that adventure for laters.

For me, this will probably be the most exciting time with this system. Two Rare games at once and one of them being a sequel to a game I absolutely adored. I don't really look forward to the future of the 360, but this time is rather exciting. I'll give more thoughts on the system once I have spent more time with it.

Posted by Big Boss

Great so far. I've only been playing Perfect Dark Zero, and the game is quite fun. It offers the key elements that made the original PD great enhanced for the next generation. Sure, the stealth has its issues just like in the original, where in the case of Zero enemies find a body and automatically know exactly where you are, even if you made the kill a million years ago and are far away from the scene. There's also a rather useless dive maneuver and no jump. But, they are just minor annoyances when the game itself is so fun to play. I hope people are reminded that this is the kind of FPS that shows why Halo was already behind the times when it came out in 2001.

But, I must say the most impressive feature of the 360 is its extremely robust online service. The sense of community you feel with your gamercard, friends, and the bunch of different downloads available make it a must for next-gen systems. It's such a real shame that the Revolution and PS3 won't have anywhere near the online capabilities of the 360 that it already disappoints me. I wish I had achievements to unlock on my future PS3 and Revolution games, but it won't happen. It's now a big minus for the upcoming systems.

Posted by Fate

I still don't see the "360"-ness of it, but launch games never utilize a system's full potential anyways.

Kameo might be good, but I'm so sick of all these years of hearing about it that I have no interest in playing it anymore.

Posted by Profane Acolyte

WTf, they dont come out here because they say there still working some kinks out of it...

Posted by Angerion the Brave

I still say the name "Microsoft Xbox 360" sounds like "Microsoft Xbox, ****'it we're right back where we started from"

I have no ambition to get this one anytime soon. No interesting titles other than Halo, Perfect Dakr Zero's comercial blew chunks and what I've seen of the games play itself doesn't redeem it much. I think I'll get a used one later, WAY later like I did the original Xbox.

Posted by Axis

Ok, I've been playing some more and I've almost beat Kameo and I'm about 8 hours in. I've beaten PGR3 on Novice difficulty and reached level 1 in about 8 hours as well. By the time I go back and do the rest, the game will probably have lasted 25 hours. Call of Duty I've played about 10 hours, and not even that far into it. I don't even think I'm half way through Call of Duty 2 yet, I also plan on going back and doing on Veteran so I can get gamerscore for it.

What's everyones gamerscore? Mine so far is 950.

Posted by Moogs

I just got my 360 for Christmas so my gamescore is 450.

I have Perfect Dark Zero, which I love the single player game, it is really fun.
I also have Call of Duty 2, I'm halfway through the British campaign. Quake 4, Still at the beginning. King Kong,almost beat it, and I must say it is a great game and if you are looking for easy gamerscore pick this one up. Madden NFL, Ah, The XBox version is better.

Also, is PGR3 worth 60 bucks?

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting Moogs:
Also, is PGR3 worth 60 bucks?

I love my 360. I havent had any problems with it. I have Kameo: elements of Power, Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark Zero, and NHL 2k6. My favorite games are CoD2, and Kameo.

I was lucky to even get my 360 :D. I called the wrong store and they just happened to have three 360s in. They just got them in too. :D I bought two...1 for me and 1 for my cousin (ofcourse he paid me back lol).

To MOOGS: PGR3 is only $49.99

Posted by Axis

PGR3 is definitely worth it.

I picked up Condemned and beat it in 2 days, really awesome game, I'm going to go back and get all the achievements in it. So far my gamerscore is 2760.

Posted by Random

The Xbox 360 is a great console. I hear people saying it's just a new Xbox, but in return isn't that what the Revolution and the PS3 are? Just a new version of their console? The 360 is backwards compatible, so is the Revolution and PS3... All three companies had hardware upgrades and changed the style of their controller.. Both the 360 and PS3 are going HD, while the Revolution won't be. All three consoles are going to be online.

So by my impression is.. It's great. New games, better graphics, faster, can play the older Xbox games.. Whats not to like? I'm sure i'll hear some lame excuse about Nintendo being "innovative" when most of their innovations are nothing more than backwards compatability (Already thought of), and a new styled controller (which the other consoles also changed).

Hmmm oh well I think it's great. I can't wait to get my hands on a 360!! I already purchased one but resold it on ebay for $230 more then what I paid for it. Pretty sweet if you ask me ^_^

Games I've played on the 360:
PGR3-Fun as hell
Call of Duty 2-Easily best War shooter yet
NFS Most Wanted-With High definition, it looks too real to be true
King Kong-Great graphics engine and everything but I didn't care for the game

Games I look forward to:
Resident Evil 5
Halo 3
KOTOR 3
Gundam
Grand Theft Auto
Dead or Alive 4
Oblivion
Final Fantasy XI
Fable 2
Lost Odyssey
Metal Gear Solid 4 perhaps?

Those are just some of many titles to come. I can't wait!

Posted by s0ul

I don't know where games are being sold for $60, I got all mine for $43.99.

Posted by Moogs

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: To MOOGS: PGR3 is only $49.99

My mistake. I am going to pick it up next weekend. I was also lucky to get mine. I walked in Circuit City to get my money back on a camera I bought weeks before. A clerk was writing on a sign " Premium Xbox 360's here". I talked to him and turns out they got 9 in and I was first in line to get one. :)
I had one on preorder, but sold my slip for 1200 dollars. And I personally do not think it's worth 1200, it's worth 300 or 400, but not 1200 dollars.

Also to Soul... Where are you getting your games?

Posted by Random

I'm guessing either Used at EB/Gamestop, Ebay, or somewhere like CD Warehouse. I could be wrong but that sounds about right.

Posted by Moogs

Ah, well I bought my games at EB games and GameStop and they were 60 bucks a pop.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting SomebodyRandom: I'm guessing either Used at EB/Gamestop, Ebay, or somewhere like CD Warehouse. I could be wrong but that sounds about right.

Yes I got my games used on launch night.

wait...

Posted by Moogs

Hah... if you got it used on launch night, some idiot bought it and turned it in before they even played it.

Posted by s0ul

Are you stupid? :-\

Posted by Moogs

... no I am not. You said you got it used on launch night, correct?
For you to have bought a game used on launch night someone had to have bought it before the XBox 360 launched(since the games released before the 360 itself did). Therefore, unless they obtained a 360 before launch date, they never played it.

Unless, of course, you were kidding. In which case that would be a horrible kid. Seeing as the 360 has been out for nearly a month and a half now.

Posted by Moogs

... no I am not. You said you got it used on launch night, correct?
For you to have bought a game used on launch night someone had to have bought it before the XBox 360 launched. Therefore, unless they obtained a 360 before launch date, they never played it.

Posted by s0ul

How does the 360 being out for... man, you're dumb. I was being sarcastic. Jesus.

Posted by boomstick

I don't own one, yet, but I have got a chance to play Call Of Duty 2 and I must say I have to agree it does look and run very well on the Xbox 360, IMO the best game I've got to play on the 360.

Anyway, personally I'm waiting for Oblivion and Mass Effect before I get the 360, though there are some games out now I believe those look to be the 'killer apps' for me, personally.

Posted by Random

There'll be many great 360 games. And the whole recall is completely false. There is no recall and the only over heating problems i've heard which aren't by anyone I know, are ones that were sitting on a carpet. Um... I had a tv burn up on a carpet. Common sense there eh? It's a great system. It'll be even better when more games are out. I can't wait to get my hands on DOA 4. Looks awesome!

Posted by Porto Player

For the Xbox 360, Gun is the best **** game out there.The graphics are amazing and the single player is so fun.I had a blast playing it.The only problem is that its a short game when all you do is the story part missions of the game but when you play the side missions(bounties,poker,ranch helper,etc...) its really fun.I recommend this game to everybody out there who has an Xbox 360.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: There'll be many great 360 games. And the whole recall is completely false. There is no recall and the only over heating problems i've heard which aren't by anyone I know, are ones that were sitting on a carpet. Um... I had a tv burn up on a carpet. Common sense there eh? It's a great system. It'll be even better when more games are out. I can't wait to get my hands on DOA 4. Looks awesome!

The recall is false, though it was never said to be confirmed, but the overheating problem was fact, Gamespot did an article, I believe, I believe it was estimated almost 3% of the total systems shipped had the problem to an extent.

It's just 1st generation console hardware, it comes to no real surprise, it happens all the time at console launches and since Microsoft was rushing I was expecting something.

Posted by Nightscare

i get my 360 when my ebgames finishes its preorders. i have to buy it off the shelves

Posted by Random

Quoting boomstick: The recall is false, though it was never said to be confirmed, but the overheating problem was fact, Gamespot did an article, I believe, I believe it was estimated almost 3% of the total systems shipped had the problem to an extent.

It's just 1st generation console hardware, it comes to no real surprise, it happens all the time and since Microsoft was rushing I was expecting something.

The Failure ratio with the 360's aren't bad comparing to what the PS2 had. I forget the percentage now what the PS2 had. Even a year or two after it was released it still had a pretty high failure rating. Infact come to think of it. I think I know like 1 person out of 40 that hasn't had a PS2 break. I've had 2 myself break, and purchased a 3rd which I sold to a friend which it eventually broke. And I take care of my systems. Never had an Xbox/GC break.

It seemed like the PS2 had at least a 50% failure rating for a good long time. The new slim PS2s are nicer though. They don't tend to break easily.

Posted by s0ul

I'm on my third Gamecube, second PS2, and first Xbox.

My Gamecube and PS2 sit comfortably on shelves, never moving or suffering any sort of shock or contact with anything harmful, whereas my Xbox was taken to probably more than 50 LANs in its day, been dropped, punched, and has had numerous liquids and Coca Cola pastes spilled on it.

Just thought I'd put that out there!

Posted by Axis

My friends 360 fell 4 feet from his shelf while we were playing at a LAN. Still works and hasn't had one slow down.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: It seemed like the PS2 had at least a 50% failure rating for a good long time. The new slim PS2s are nicer though. They don't tend to break easily.

No way, no console has had that big a failure rate and anyway I'm only talking about launch.

Anywho, why are you even bringing up the PS2 anyway, I said clearly it almost happens to almost every console launch there are a few malfunictions in some, I didn't say the 360 was the only one.

I guess maybe I have to spell it out then, I changed my last post to make it clearer

Posted by Random

Eh sorry.. It wasn't exactly 50% but it was a lot higher than the 360's failure rating. I can't honestly say I know anyone with the exception of one person that hasn't had a PS2 break.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Eh sorry.. It wasn't exactly 50% but it was a lot higher than the 360's failure rating. I can't honestly say I know anyone with the exception of one person that hasn't had a PS2 break.

I know I should just leave it at that, but I'll ask again, why are you bringing up the PS2, in no way did I mention it, I just told the facts of some of the 360's faults, I didn't bash, nor did I compare it to the PS2, it's completely irrelevant to the original statement.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Hey, I am buying a Xbox 360 in about 12 days or so. I am new to Xbox's, I didn't even purchase the original one. So, could anyone explain it to me? Lol. But for real, I keep hearing about carrying around a hardrive, and removing it. I'm totally confused, help anyone?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Axis

Hero's Crest: Look here: http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1245/Xbox-360-FAQs/p1/

Posted by Hero'sCrest

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Thanks a million man.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Klarth

FOR THE LOVE OF WACKO PEOPLE, OLD THREADS ARE OLD.