Jason Becker Documentary

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I found a documentary on him, enjoy. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1775128028743135037&q=jason+becker

I am convinced that Jason becker was the greatest guitarist,ever. maybe the greatest there ever will be. Stupid ALS.....

Posted by Pit

God, I read his bio not too long ago, but man... Jason Becker was one of the reasons I started playing. Perpetual Burn, him in Cacophony... amazing ****.

I seriously almost started crying, but you know, held it in :(

****ing... ALS.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin_Akuma: I am convinced that Jason becker was the greatest guitarist,ever. maybe the greatest there ever will be.

Vai?

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting MetalVox~55: Vai?

While Vai is a fantastic guitarist, I am convinced Becker is better. Vai might be a little better at finger tapping, but all around Guitarist i'd say Becker>Vai.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Another becker video. Playng with a yoyo while playing guitar...amazing.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6341116702386742329&q=guitar+solo

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Another becker video. Playng with a yoyo while playing guitar...amazing.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6341116702386742329&q=guitar+solo

Ok, I watched this. And the only thing that stood out at me was when he grabbed the neck above and did the legato runs. Other than that, I wasn't all that impressed by it. Sue me, but stuff like that doesn't phase me as much as what Vai has done on the G3 dvds and what he does on his albums.

Posted by Crazy Canuck

Consider this: Steve Vai is 45 years old and Jason Becker was 20 when he was diagnosed with ALS.

There's no doubt Steve Vai has had the better career but I think Jason had more pure, technical skill. To me, the Serrana arpeggio section is like a 47 second orgasm. I can't play it but I get the lead guitarist in my band to play it everytime we jam.

I think Steve Vai is like Michael Jorden and Jason Becker is like LeBron James(if James was diagnosed with ALS tomorrow and never played basketball again.) People would say he had all the skills but never had opportunity to be the greatest.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting MetalVox~55: Ok, I watched this. And the only thing that stood out at me was when he grabbed the neck above and did the legato runs. Other than that, I wasn't all that impressed by it. Sue me, but stuff like that doesn't phase me as much as what Vai has done on the G3 dvds and what he does on his albums.

Thats only a portion of his talent, I suggest getting his Perpetual Burn cd, or any of the stuff from Cacophony. Plus, like Crazy Canuck said. Steve Vai is 45 years old, Jason Becker was 20 when he was diagnosed with ALS. By the way I've only seen G3 in Denver, and Vai kind of bored me a little bit. Are his performances in the other G3s better?
Oh yeah, heres Serrano Arpeggios http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6366828499656022533&q=Jason+Becker

Posted by TheSecondComing

That's some very fluid playing. Is he much of a songwriter?

Posted by Pit

Quoting TheSecondComing: That's some very fluid playing. Is he much of a songwriter?

Did you even watch the first video?

Yes, he's excellent. If not struck with ALS, I can only imagine what his stuff would sound like now. He truly is a genius.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Even WITH ALS, his music is still pretty decent. That just goes to show you how good he still is.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Vampiro: Even WITH ALS, his music is still pretty decent. That just goes to show you how good he still is.

And to think that he has to make each song note by note, using his head, jaw and eyes. That must get so frusterating...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Indeed, indeed. Though, with such passion and ability, I can't see him becoming easily frustrated. Maybe earlier on, when he hadn't accepted the fact yet, but now it's his only way to make music. So I would think that would outweigh any annoyance.

Posted by Crazy Canuck

Quoting TheSecondComing: That's some very fluid playing. Is he much of a songwriter?

He's one of the greatest songwriters in music. There are professionals who claim he was a modern day Mozart or Bach.

Listen to "End of the Beginning" off of his album "Perspective". I listen to it almost every night when I'm in bed and I think it's as powerful as any piece of music i've ever heard. So much was taken away from him when he got ALS but a whole bunch was given to him too.

"Black Stallion" (with Marty Friedman) from the Rasberry Jams is another one of my favourites. It's worth listening to, for sure.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

~Randomness~ just curious, have any of you heard the tribute cd to Jason Becker? It had lots of awesome guitarists on it but I never got around to buying it. If you have is it good?

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I know this is a old thread but I found a old video of a jason becker guitar clinic, it's just too **** cool not to post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3fvB4QO1qo&search=Jason%20Becker