Guitar and pedal recommendations

Posted by Altinure

Today, I got to play with my friends Fender American Stratocaster and his Jeckyl and Hyde pedal on my amp, and holy ****, it sounded soooooo amazing. I really want to get a pedal and new guitar, but I'm poor, so I have to ask for them for christmas. I was thinking about getting a Fender Standard Stratocaster for $369 and the Jeckyl and Hyde pedal for $139 off [url]www.mucisiansfriend.com[/url], but my parents didn't seem to keen on buying me them for christmas, but they said they'd think about it. I was wondering, would anyone recommend any guitars and pedals I could get for maybe a combined of under $300 that would be good for punk/metal off that website? I'm really hoping I can convince them to get my the Fender Standard Strat, but I don't think they will. I'm just so sick of my Ibanez Exseries. It has one of those annoying string locks on it that require allen wrenches to tune it, and the pickups are horrible.

Thanks guys.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Altinure: Today, I got to play with my friends Fender American Stratocaster and his Jeckyl and Hyde pedal on my amp, and holy ****, it sounded soooooo amazing. I really want to get a pedal and new guitar, but I'm poor, so I have to ask for them for christmas. I was thinking about getting a Fender Standard Stratocaster for $369 and the Jeckyl and Hyde pedal for $139 off [url]www.mucisiansfriend.com[/url], but my parents didn't seem to keen on buying me them for christmas, but they said they'd think about it. I was wondering, would anyone recommend any guitars and pedals I could get for maybe a combined of under $300 that would be good for punk/metal off that website? I'm really hoping I can convince them to get my the Fender Standard Strat, but I don't think they will. I'm just so sick of my Ibanez Exseries. It has one of those annoying string locks on it that require allen wrenches to tune it, and the pickups are horrible.

Thanks guys.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....For that kinda price, you're REALLY limited, and you're not going to get a huge selection from good guitars...

Epiphone or low-end Strat for what you wanna do? Thats all I can really recommend...

And I -LIKE- locking tuners, thank you :p

Posted by Altinure

Yeah, I know, but it's sorta a back up plan if I can't get the standard strat. I hate locking ones because it's so much work just to tune to drop D and whatnot. I think if anything, I may just get a nice pickup and then the pedal. Would you recommend this at all?

Posted by MetalVox~55

What kind of guitar do you have right now?

Posted by Altinure

Ibanez Ex Series.

Basically, the bottom two pickups do not work, so I am forced to play with the top two pickups, which I believe are meant for jazz. It's old. It was my stepdad's guitar when he was in college, so I believe it came out in the early 90s.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I'd probably go with a better Ibanez dude. I'm a huge supporter of Ibanez guitars, and if my band gets big enough, I want to try for an endorsement. Anyway, for what you want, i'd look into an Ibanez RG or an AX. They'd be more than versitile for what you want to do.

Posted by Altinure

What do you think about these ones:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/512492/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/512496/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519988/

with this distortion pedal:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/150833/

Thanks

Posted by MetalVox~55

the RG is your best bet. the GRG is a piece-o-crap, and Icemans are horrible guitars :(

If you're going to get a distortion pedal, get a BOSS DS-1 or a BOSS MT-2.

Posted by Altinure

Thanks.

Would you happen to know anything about this guitar?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/519404/

It was recommended to me, and seems to have good reviews. Normally the cheaper guitar the reviewers talk about them breaking constantly or the pickups sucking, and the reviews I read of this guitar talk about them using it for four years, and not having problems.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Word of the wise:

If it's from Ibanez, and has a G in front of the model number, it won't be good quality.

Posted by Altinure

Ok, haha.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Stick with that RG. It'll play like a dream. It's neck is awesome, and the body is nice. The pickups should sound pretty good, but Ibanez pickups aren't the best. But thats the best of the ones you looked up. Go with that :)

Posted by Pit

What, did someone ray Mirrage Red Ibanez RG1570 with air norton for neck and Tone Zone for bridge, what?

EDIT: lol ray

say*

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Pit: What, did someone ray Mirrage Red Ibanez RG1570 with air norton for neck and Tone Zone for bridge, what?

EDIT: lol ray

say*

RGT42DXFM w/ Air Norton & Tone Zone.
Neck-thru > bolt-on

Posted by Pit

I'm not getting the RGT42DXFM, I'm saving up tor the RG1570, well, hopefully they have mirrage red, but I'll settle for any color

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Pit: I'm not getting the RGT42DXFM, I'm saving up tor the RG1570, well, hopefully they have mirrage red, but I'll settle for any color

and by any color, you mean blue.

Posted by Nep0

Probably the greatest birthday present from the koolest chic I will ever know.
[IMG]http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/v-amp2_big2-0bd547b8cc6b1ce92c74bb95e809ae8e.jpg[/IMG]

and if you are unfortune8, like myself, and would have to borrow your buddies cab's just to get Maximum enjoyment, try this ghetto rigged idea:

Tape deck adapter -> to stereo. Enough said.
and whats with you drummers always having to play guitar, anyway :P

Posted by MetalVox~55

lmfao, I wouldn't wish behringer gear on anyone. I'm sorry you got that piece-o-crap :(

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting MetalVox~55: lmfao, I wouldn't wish behringer gear on anyone. I'm sorry you got that piece-o-crap :(

I don't think you should be so harsh on what is essentially a lower-level, lower-priced brand. I mean you can hardly expect someone to go out and buy him a $3000 professional multi-effects unit, especially considering he doesn't have a 'real' amp yet.