Here's a tough noodle for ya!

Posted by KoH

So I got all the computer components to build "teh uberz gaming mach1ne." Well, the components are:

[COLOR=White][URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130249"]eVGA 256-P2-N517-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ASPIRE X-CRUISE -BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Acer AL1714CB-8 Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail

ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail[/URL]

[/COLOR] [URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539"]AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail[/URL]
[COLOR=White][URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130249"]
Rosewill 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model RW400/1024KITDP - Retail
[/URL]
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130249"]Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0014RU ATX 480W Power Supply - Retail[/URL]

[SIZE=2]Now, this isn't the first (why's my text bold... stupid copy paste) computer I've built so I'm very much aware of basics. So let me describe the problemo.

I tried turning the computer on after installing all the components... everything's turned on fine. All fans are working everything's peachy keen. But... the actual problem... I get a "no signal" message on the monitor. I have 3 monitors in my room and I've tried each one and same message. When I first encountered this problem I thought it was the mobo, so I got a new one, same problem. Then I thought it'd be the vid card, no dice. I get no sounds from the mobo, no beeps, nada. I plugged in a keyboard and the lights light up showing that that seems to be fine.

My theory: I think now that it's the CPU. I've read that if you hear nothing and can't get a signal it's the CPU, or at least I've read one instance in which this is the case. I'm frankly all out of ideas and as soon as Monday rolls around I'm gonna try and get another CPU from AMD, since NewEgg is wonderful enough to not warranty CPUs.

I'd LOVE for this comp to be working for thanksgiving 'cause it is meant for gaming and... well... I want to game. :)

THOUGHTS, NOW.
[/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153007"][/URL][/COLOR]

Posted by Proto Man

Strange... because I had the same problem once. Can't remember if it was an Intel, or AMD machine, but the computer would turn on, and I wouldn't get any visual. The MB had onboard video, and I tried sticking a vid card into it, and STILL wouldn't get any video. Although the weird thing is, when I went back to the onboard, then it was working. Anyhow as far as you saying it is the processor, I would have to say your logic makes sense. Go with it.

Posted by KoH

Indeed I shall! Gonna return it tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work with this new proc. Only thing I'm ****ed about though is that the new proc won't come in time for thanksgiving break... Meh... Oh well.

Posted by Philsdad

Usually no display and no sounds at all mean a bad motherboard. If the CPU, video card or RAM is bad, there are usually a series of beeps that accompany it. If it really is the CPU, I am surprised it's not giving out some kind of beep code.

Are you sure you have the speaker hooked up to the motherboard correctly? Remember, there are 4 pins on the board, and the pins for the speaker go on the first and fourth pins.

I have seen something similar to this before, and it turned out that the case was shorting out the motherboard. When you mounted the motherboard, did you use EXACTLY the right number of brass standoffs, and make sure they're all in the right place? If you have one in the wrong place, it could short out your board.

Check out those things just to be 100% sure. Hopefully when your new proc arrives, everything will work out.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Philsdad]Usually no display and no sounds at all mean a bad motherboard. If the CPU, video card or RAM is bad, there are usually a series of beeps that accompany it. If it really is the CPU, I am surprised it's not giving out some kind of beep code.

Are you sure you have the speaker hooked up to the motherboard correctly? Remember, there are 4 pins on the board, and the pins for the speaker go on the first and fourth pins.

I have seen something similar to this before, and it turned out that the case was shorting out the motherboard. When you mounted the motherboard, did you use EXACTLY the right number of brass standoffs, and make sure they're all in the right place? If you have one in the wrong place, it could short out your board.

Check out those things just to be 100% sure. Hopefully when your new proc arrives, everything will work out.
:)

Yeah... good advice... but I've already checked out every single possible problem. This ISN'T my first computer rig, in fact this is my 7th that I've built. Although it's true that I haven't used this case before, I think I know how to install a mobo into into properly. And the bit about the speaker... yeah...

Yeah, I think the proc's bad because I got reassurance from several other people and I called AMD and they agreed with my theory. So they're gonna check it out... I only pray to god that it's the proc. Otherwise, yeah... I don't know what.

The case isn't that great though... the power button fell off so I now have to use the wire with the small button at the end that connects directly to the mobo in order to turn it on now.

The case shouldn't be the problem either, despite the setbacks... 'Cause I tried starting the computer up with my backup mobo outside of the case. And yes... I was grounded... Not stupid.

So if the proc's fine, I'm gonna trade cases. See if that does anything.

Posted by KoH

GOT IT! IT WAS THE POWER SUPPLY! Anytime something funky happens like this, it's most likely the pwoer suuply.

Posted by r.o.f

if your building a gaming pc i recommend alian computers. i tried one out at a convention. why waste the time,it might cost 1000 of dollers but still

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: i recommend alian computers.

Alien? I'd probably say otherwise. They seem to be over-priced, generally. It's like you're paying for the design and name, more than anything else.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting r.o.f: if your building a gaming pc i recommend alian computers. i tried one out at a convention. why waste the time,it might cost 1000 of dollers but still

A computer you build yourself is better than any Alien computer.