Stacraft: Ghost

Posted by loony636

We've all heard of Starcraft: Ghost, and we've all heard that its release been delayed from 2002, all the way to Q2, 2006. But in more disturbing news, the Gamecube version of Starcraft: Ghost has been CANCELED!!! Read on:

Quoting From Gamespot:
Starcraft: Ghost not beaming onto GameCube
Blizzard confirms the Warcraft maker's first console game won't be released for Nintendo's current-gen console.

When it showed off Starcraft: Ghost to the crowd at Blizzcon last weekend, Blizzard Entertainment did not mention any specific platform the game was being released for. Many assumed that was because those attending the event were familiar with the long story behind the publisher's first foray into the console market. Announced in 2002, Starcraft: Ghost has seen its fair share of woes, with its original developer, Nihilistic Software (Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption ), being replaced by Swingin' Ape (Metal Arms: Glitch in the System) in the summer of 2004 for undisclosed reasons.

Despite switching developers, Starcraft: Ghost's consoles have always been consistent--until this week, anyway. Speaking to GameSpot, a Blizzard staffer confirmed that the game is now only being released for the Xbox and PlayStation 2, meaning the previously announced GameCube edition has been canceled. The staffer did not give a reason why it had been scrapped.

Luckily, a moderator on the forums of Battle.net, the official Starcraft and Warcraft Web site, did lay out the official motivation behind shelving Ghost for the GameCube. "In order to provide the game envisioned by the console team, a set and readily available online solution was needed," said the moderator. "Unfortunately the GameCube has no online service and since so much work is going in to the online portion, it would be additional work to release only part of the intended game."

That said, the moderator was quick to point out that the cancellation was not due to Blizzard being biased against the Mario factory. "Nintendo systems certainly aren't something that we are against supporting," he said. "The GameCube and Revolution will still be considered for future products."
By Tor Thorsen
Posted Nov 2, 2005 4:37 pm PT

Interestingly, one of the things don't make sense in the announcement:

Quoted post: "In order to provide the game envisioned by the console team, a set and readily available online solution was needed," said the moderator. "Unfortunately the GameCube has no online service and since so much work is going in to the online portion, it would be additional work to release only part of the intended game."

PS2 has about as much online service as the gamecube. It does have the capability for it, but its never used because so few games are compatible with it (ie, Mario Kart: Double Dash is about it). So why did they cancel the Gamecube version and not the PS2 version? And why didn't they make a PC version? Surely that has the most online capabilities out of all the consoles.....

Posted by higbvuyb

DOes the Gamecube have any internet capabilites at all? at least you CAN play in the 'net on a PS2.

Posted by Drewboy64

yeah, I'm really ****ed that it's canceled. Shouldn't they still be able to release the single player mode and multiplayer modes that aren't online? And it would be nice for the PC, cause then I could still play it. Well, I hope Blizzard makes starcraft for the DS.

Posted by boomstick

To be quite honest I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the game was never released for anything.

Posted by Ant

I've been hearing about this **** game for the past 2 years now? Maybe not that long, but it sure seemed like it. And yes, I also had that feeling that it wouldn't be coming out anytime soon on Gamecube. Oh well, I wasn't interested in it whatsoever anyways.

Posted by loony636

Quoting higbvuyb: DOes the Gamecube have any internet capabilites at all? at least you CAN play in the 'net on a PS2.

You 'can' play Gamecube on the internet, but nobody does because there's nothing to play and nobdy can be bothered. I believe that the PS2 is in a similar position, is it not?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I've been hearing about this **** game for the past 2 years now? Maybe not that long, but it sure seemed like it.

Longer.

Anywho, I saw this coming, and I don't really care. I was planning on getting it on the Xbox/360 anyways.

Posted by Drewboy64

i wanted this for gamecube, mostly for the story and such. I thought single player should be the main focus, not online multiplayer. And even then, gaemcube has 4 player multiplayer. PS2 only has 2 players without an adapter.
asdf

Posted by loony636

Yeah, the multitap bottleneck for 4 player gaming SUCKS. So that's why I hate the PS2, not to mention they have no decent games. So in summary, PS2 sucks, and Gamecube rules. End of story. It does suck that they are not releasing ghost for the Gamecube, but I personally think that they are going to be so screwed with the release of the new consoles:

1) The new consoles are being released, so Starcraft: Ghost isn't going to take advantage of ANY of the new features.
2) Its not for Gamecube, which not only sucks but will mean that less people are able to buy it.
3) Most people have lost interest in the game, because of the ongoing delays, so they don't want to buy it anymore.......

Posted by Sk2k52

Quoting loony636:
3) Most people have lost interest in the game, because of the ongoing delays, so they don't want to buy it anymore.......

Yuuup. I remember back when I first heard about it, everyone I knew was excited and planned on getting it on release, thoug now, most people that I know either jsut plain don't care anymore, or will only buy it if they see it while buying something else.

Personally, played SC and been anxious for SC ghost. Though seeing it not get on GC ****es me off abit, but in 5-10 mnutes I wont care anymore, even if it was for a completely BS reason since GC does have online capabilities, even if not used. Before when i thoguht of SC, couldnt wait till it came out, but at this point, I think most people when they hear about it recognizes it as much as they would a old video game they had but never actually got interested in ienough to beat it.

Posted by Drewboy64

it was announced in 2001, no?
I still want a Starcraft DS. **** you blizzard and such!