360 as powerful as PS3, says Kojima

Posted by Speedfreak

[URL="http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000883068264/"]http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000883068264/[/URL]

[quote]According to a 1up.com video post, Hideo Kojima has admitted that the Xbox 360 is capable of running the [URL="http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000277059281/"][COLOR=white]Metal Gear Solid 4 real-time demo[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=white].[/COLOR] Despite the PlayStation 3 propaganda on display throughout the demo, Kojima

Posted by Prince Shondronai

That said, Kojima reaffirmed his intention to keep the sony kneepads he's had on since the ps2 was released.

Posted by Drewboy64

Does this mean the 360 is more powerful than we thought or that the PS3 is less powerful than we thought?

Posted by Speedfreak

Okay, I'm going with Big Boss. You really don't make any fucking sense.

Posted by higbvuyb

I heard the Xbox 360 is actually faster in almost all gaming-related performance scales anyway.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Speedfreak: Okay, I'm going with Big Boss. You really don't make any fucking sense.

I meant, does it mean that the 360 has more power than what we've seen so far, or has PS3 been exaggerating its games alot?

Posted by higbvuyb

Of course Sony's been exaggerating. They always do.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting higbvuyb: They always do.

Irony is fun.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Lord of Spam: Irony is fun.

So is giving rep. But, I can't give you any more right now:( .

Posted by Random

Hmmm... Figures.. I just wish Hideo would put MGS 4 on the 360. It hasn't been announced an exclusive but it also hasn't been anounced for any other console. I sort of figured the graphics and what not were rather similar. I was checking out trailers for games on both consoles and they seemed pretty equal. So basically Sony's going to have an over priced system with graphics that don't put the competitors in an obsolete situation? And if Sony wants to be recognized as a great company, has to go above and beyond with games..

In the words of a very missed Dave Chapelle... Man.. Sony is F***in up.

Oh and Speedfreak, you are correct about Drewboy. He doesn't always make sense. So i'm with you and the Boss. Not that I have the most intelligence, but I never said I did.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Hmmm... Figures.. I just wish Hideo would put MGS 4 on the 360. It hasn't been announced an exclusive but it also hasn't been anounced for any other console.

Well, the game might at first be introduced as a PS3 exclusive because the fanbase is already set. The Metal Gear franchise became popular on the PlayStation, and considering the game only saw a later release on the PC (no N64, Saturn or Dreamcast ports) guarantees most people that liked MGS are likely to own Sony consoles. This was further proved by the original PS2 release of Sons of Liberty, and the still PS2 exclusive Snake Eater. Basically, MGS has an audience with Sony-system owners, so naturally the game would be released for the PS3.

At any rate, a far as we know (from his blog and news) Kojima has been working diligently with Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (debugging, as their translator puts it) and overseeing the Metal Gear Ac!d 2 project. I don't know how much time his team has had on working with the PS3 beyond the TGS demo, let alone having any hands-on experience with the 360. As far as specs go, technologically speaking their ups and downs are already well known. Whether games will take better advantage of one over the other remains to be seen. We'll have to wait a year after both systems have been in the market, as was the case with the Xbox and PS2.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Should be interesting to see how closely the two consoles match up. Though I'm not surprised. The PS3 probably is more powerful, they just can't afford to use it, or don't have enough time. If it's as difficult to develop for as they say, they may never be able to make the games/graphics that Sony's promising.

Though, if MGS4 ever comes out on the 360, it'll probably be a year to two after it was on the PS3. And by that time, I doubt anyone will care much.

Posted by Non-ExistentOne

It's perfectly understandable that they don't want to move MGS onto other consoles, just think Nintendo > Zelda

I wouldn't doubt that the 360 is nearly as, if not the same or greater, power then the PS2, because...I mean, come on, who else has BILL GATES making a console. No one needs to be reminded how much money he has.

Then again, who cares about power? I want to see games =(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I wouldn't doubt that the 360 is nearly as, if not the same or greater, power then the PS2,

I think that goes without saying...

typos, lol.

Quoted post: just think Nintendo > Zelda

Not quite the same...

Quoting Vampiro: Not quite the same...

Alright, so Zelda is a bit over the line, but it illustrates an appropriate picture.

Posted by Random

I like to see power and games. I like to see great quality in games combined with awesome graphics.

Still whether or not the 360 could play MGS 4, I want to play it :(

Posted by Darkbackward

What's this talk about mgs not being on other consoles?

Metal Gear Solid is on the pc, dreamcast, and gamecube.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is on the pc and xbox.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is going to be on these systems as well.

A large part of the reason why I stopped buying mgs was because I knew that paying 50 dollars for something would be wasted if I wasn't getting the best version possible.

DC version overtook metal gear solid.

Substance overtook sons of liberty.

And now this subsistence trash.

*bleh*

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Non-ExistentOne: Alright, so Zelda is a bit over the line, but it illustrates an appropriate picture.

Wand of Gamelon
Zelda's Adventure
Faces of Evil

All three are Zelda games, none of the three were on a Nintendo console.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Klarth]Wand of Gamelon
Zelda's Adventure
Faces of Evil

All three are Zelda games, none of the three were on a Nintendo console.
All three very, very bad Zelda games. They weren't even made by Nintendo.
---
Deep inside, we all knew that PS3 and 360 were going to be neck-in-neck when it came to system power. Looking at their specs, it's hard to believe that the systems couldn't get much more powerful. It's time for Microsoft and Sony to prove, once again, it's not the power of the systems that makes the console, it's the games that are on the shelves that keeps you on top. Let's just say, like so many Americans, I'm rooting for the underdog.;)

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Darkbackward: Metal Gear Solid 3 is going to be on these systems as well.

Doubtfully, a PC version may come by next year, but the rest of the current gen consoles(GCN & Xbox) are pretty much dead

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Skitzo Control]All three very, very bad Zelda games. They weren't even made by Nintendo.
---
Deep inside, we all knew that PS3 and 360 were going to be neck-in-neck when it came to system power. Looking at their specs, it's hard to believe that the systems couldn't get much more powerful. It's time for Microsoft and Sony to prove, once again, it's not the power of the systems that makes the console, it's the games that are on the shelves that keeps you on top. Let's just say, like so many Americans, I'm rooting for the underdog.;)

What do you mean by "once again"?

Quoting GameMiestro: What do you mean by "once again"?

Uh, GameCube being the underdog against the PS2 and Xbox?

That was kind of obvious there.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Darkbackward: What's this talk about mgs not being on other consoles?

Metal Gear Solid is on the pc, dreamcast, and gamecube.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is on the pc and xbox.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is going to be on these systems as well.

A large part of the reason why I stopped buying mgs was because I knew that paying 50 dollars for something would be wasted if I wasn't getting the best version possible.

DC version overtook metal gear solid.

Substance overtook sons of liberty.

And now this subsistence trash.

*bleh*

No one said the franchise was exclusive to one console. Read before you post. I said MGS started and remained as a console exclusive for the PlayStation, as neither PS's competitor's (N64, Saturn) had a version of the game. I also said following games started in a Sony console before moving to other systems.

PC isn't a console.

Metal Gear Solid was never released for the Dreamcast. There was a Bleemcast version for it. That's like me saying the PS2 has Mario because, with a mod chip and a bootleg copy, I can play it on Sony's system. Furthermore, the GameCube version of the game is a remake of a generation-old game. It's not a port of sorts like Substance was.

Substance was also available for the PS2, and anyone that has played the game in the PS2 and Xbox knows the Xbox version has slowdown issues and awkward controls. I'm pretty sure I've gone over this before.

The 3-disc Subsistence set has yet to be released, so you don't know if it's trash. The game, as well as Snake Eater, remain PS2 exclusives to this day. You're just assuming that, perhaps/maybe/possibly it will be released for other consoles. However, unless the unlikely happens and Kojima allows another company to make ports of MGS3, I don't see a port being made. Kojima Productions is busy with getting Subsistence and Ac!d 2 done so they can completely focus on MGS4 for the PS3.

Posted by f4phantom2500

Quoting Drewboy64: does it mean that the 360 has more power than what we've seen so far, or has PS3 been exaggerating its games alot?

Both and more. No console's true power has been seen at the release date. Hell, the original Xbox still has untapped potential, and it came out like four years ago! I'm sure the PS3 demos have been exaggerated a bit, which is understandable considering Sony is just trying to keep people from buying the 360 so they'll hold out for PS3. However, I'm confident that the PS3 will be able to have graphics like that; maybe not when it first comes out but it definitely has the potential, as does the 360.

Another reason for this is that most people that play consoles don't know enough about computer hardware to make a direct comparison between PS3 and Xbox 360. Even if they did, it would still be somewhat difficult given the different technologies used in each console, but considering what I've read of each system, all hype aside, I feel comfortable saying that they are both very capable, have similar performance ceilings, and both have tremendous room to grow. Let me put it this way: the original Xbox basically has a GeForce 3 graphics chip and a 700MHz Pentium 3. The PS3 has a modified GeForce 7800, and the 360 has a custom ATI chip, Xenos, that is loosely based on the R400 series chips, and each has a multi-core CPU that runs at 3.2GHz. Do the math.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Big Boss: [No one said the franchise was exclusive to one console. Read before you post. I said MGS started and remained as a console exclusive for the PlayStation, as neither PS's competitor's (N64, Saturn) had a version of the game. I also said following games started in a Sony console before moving to other systems.

PC isn't a console.

Metal Gear Solid was never released for the Dreamcast. There was a Bleemcast version for it. That's like me saying the PS2 has Mario because, with a mod chip and a bootleg copy, I can play it on Sony's system. Furthermore, the GameCube version of the game is a remake of a generation-old game. It's not a port of sorts like Substance was.

I wasn't directly referring to your statement, merely pointing out what some other people before your post stated.

The PC plays games, so it is the same as a console. When someone says Console exclusive I take it to mean exclusive to that one system.

Bleemcast is not illegal and does not require a mod chip. So your comparison is wrong by default. It is something you can tangibly buy and put into your dreamcast console and play. It is a superior version to the original.

The "remake" as you put it was still metal gear solid. The big changes in the gameplay department are moot for improvement/non effect to say the least.

Quoting Big Boss:
The 3-disc Subsistence set has yet to be released, so you don't know if it's trash. The game, as well as Snake Eater, remain PS2 exclusives to this day. You're just assuming that, perhaps/maybe/possibly it will be released for other consoles. However, unless the unlikely happens and Kojima allows another company to make ports of MGS3, I don't see a port being made. Kojima Productions is busy with getting Subsistence and Ac!d 2 done so they can completely focus on MGS4 for the PS3.[/color][/font]

Subsistence is trash because it is another re release of a metal gear solid game to cash into their scheme. Release one game, then an improvement, usu. a port. I'm tired of it, which goes back to my point of not caring what Hideo Kojima or his team does as they are entirely overrated in the first place.

Posted by Fate

Before the Metal Gear wars break out and we verbally kick your ***, I'd like to end your impending doom and put a little sunshine in its place: YOU ARE DUMB.

The PC isn't a console. If I'm correct, Bleemcast! was not made by Sega. I'm not too sure about that, though. Even if it was, it was still a bootleg machine.

There is nothing fancy or scientifical about a "remake" because that is what it is. Twin Snakes was a remake. Remade. As in, made again. It's not a port by definition.

Furthermore, Subsistence will be released not only as a game with extras, but with several other things worthy of a buy. You can be tired of ports all you want, but Subsistence's package is more than that. Idiot.

Posted by Random

Sony was supposed to have this really awesome system, but now to compete with Microsoft they cut costs off their system to try to make it as cheap as Microsofts. Sonys probably going to lose a great deal of money over it.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=GameMiestro]What do you mean by "once again"?SNES and Genesis had nearly the same power, but the SNES sold better due to a better library. Playstation outsold N64, despite N64 being more powerful, because the PS had a better game library. The PS2 outsold all the other systems because of a better game library (with the exception of the Dreamcast, which was marketed very badly), and the Xbox outsold the 'Cube because of a better library.

*edit* Put "nearly" in there so Speedfreak would shut up.:)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control]SNES and Genesis had the same power, but the SNES sold better due to a better library.

Hee hee hee!

Okay, okay. Before I prove you wrong on the power difference I want to introduce you to this extremely accurate Genesis ad in the 90s that shows just how great the SNESs library was in the beginning.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Speedfreak312002/segad.jpg[/IMG]

This is truth.

Anyway, here are the specs.

Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in the US):

CPU: 7.61 Mhz

Main RAM: 64K

Video RAM: 64K

Layers/Planes: 4 (2 scrolling playfeilds, 1 sprite layer, 1 'window' plane)

Total sprites: up to 96, depending on the mode.

Palette: 512 colours

Colours on-screen: 61

Sound is a little hard to compare on a message board, but anyone who's actually played both consoles on emulator can safely say SNES wins in this department. Thanks, Sony!

SNES:

CPU: 3.58Mhz on highest setting. 1.5 Million Instructions Per Second, compared to the Mega Drive's 0.96 MIPS

RAM: 128K

Video RAM: 128K

Colour palette: 32,768 (15-bit colour depth)

On-screen colours: 256

Maximum colours per single sprite: 128

Maximum sprites on screen: 64

Significant effects SNES had that MD didn't: Transparency, scaling, rotation, 3D polygons with the Super FX chips, warping (like when you eat those odd fluff things in Yoshi's Island) and more layers.

Lastly, here's a couple of comparison shots in each consoles version of the Konami game Sparkster.

Genesis title screen:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Speedfreak312002/sparktitlemd.jpg[/IMG]

SNES title screen:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Speedfreak312002/sparksnestitle.jpg[/IMG]

Genesis first level:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Speedfreak312002/sparklevelmd.jpg[/IMG]

SNES first level:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/Speedfreak312002/sparklevelsnes.jpg[/IMG]

I think those 2 shots alone speak for themselves.

Note: I'm not overreacting or anything. Skitso and I actually argued on AIM before I decided to post this.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Fate: Before the Metal Gear wars break out and we verbally kick your ***, I'd like to end your impending doom and put a little sunshine in its place: YOU ARE DUMB.]

Thanks for that.

Quoting Fate: [
The PC isn't a console. If I'm correct, Bleemcast! was not made by Sega. I'm not too sure about that, though. Even if it was, it was still a bootleg machine.
.]

The pc plays games, and it played metal gear solid.

Sega's part in bleemcast is no business in this thread. Bleemcast is NOT a machine, it is NOT illegal, it is something that you buy and stick into your dreamcast and play. Enhanced versions of playstation games.

There is nothing fancy or scientifical about a "remake" because that is what it is. Twin Snakes was a remake. Remade. As in, made again. It's not a port by definition..]

I don't care about Twin Snakes being a remake, it was another version of a mgs game. A series that gets whored around like none other.

Furthermore, Subsistence will be released not only as a game with extras, but with several other things worthy of a buy. You can be tired of ports all you want, but Subsistence's package is more than that. Idiot.[/color]

Just as substance was to sol. I get it, pay 50 bucks, then pay 50 again, because it's mgs ****it! and hideo Koyiyimama can do whatever he pleases!

"whore" is appropo.

Also, for pete's sake, let off the snes/genesis bit. We all know which was better, and the word, "Nintendo" took no part in that statement.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Darkbackward]Also, for pete's sake, let off the snes/genesis bit. We all know which was better, and the word, "Nintendo" took no part in that statement.

I can't figure out what you're saying in the 2nd half of that sentence. Regardless, I was done.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Speedy, you sure do have an ugly girlfriend.:)