Rock Debate

Posted by rockinfingers23

My friend at UMVD told me about this australian rock band called the casanovas and she said they sound like the ramones but when i heard the cd, i couldnt hear the resemblence at all...I think they sound like jet. what do you guys think?

myspace.com/thecasanovas

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think punctuation rocks.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Yeah, the Casanovas are trying to ride the Jet wave. Wolfmother is a good Australian band, check them out.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Wolfmother is a good Australian band, check them out.

Are they actually? All I've heard about them is that they're a very Deep Purple Led Zeppelin Black Sabbath... hard rock type of band, and not extremely original.

Or you should check out Ignore Alien Orders![spoiler]!!1!onewonone[/spoiler]

Posted by Klarth

I think The Casanovas are classic rock like Velvet Revolver and Silvertide.

Posted by Arwon

Wolfmother are good, because they're good at what they do. The hype's getting a bit nuts, but they were great live. They manage to be very familiar without sounding completely pointless and derivative, which is more than the Casanovas ever did.

Posted by Burn

Quoting Arwon: Wolfmother are good, because they're good at what they do. The hype's getting a bit nuts, but they were great live. They manage to be very familiar without sounding completely pointless and derivative, which is more than the Casanovas ever did.

yeah, the hype is ridiculous. gotta say they are catchy though.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Klarth: I think The Casanovas are classic rock like Velvet Revolver and Silvertide.

Tell me what rock subgenre they are if not classic rock (revival).

I heard one random Wolfmother song while I was in Sanity, and it was decent. Didn't like the vocals much, but it was decent. I'll take an interest in them if they play guitar solos, which is one thing that could set them apart from the ridiculous amount of boring Australian bands these days (Evermore, Jet, etc.).

Nevermore > Evermore

Posted by Arwon

Their album is distinguished from an earlier EP almost entirely by the addition of solos. A metric f*ckton of solos, actually.

Quoting Richaod: I'll take an interest in them if they play guitar solos

:rolleyes:

Going to Big Day Out Arwon? They're in the second lineup announcement. Along with Mudvayne ;)

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Arwon: Their album is distinguished from an earlier EP almost entirely by the addition of solos. A metric f*ckton of solos, actually.

Sounds good. Better. Worth more of a look.

What ticks me off is the number of retards in this country who worship the Smoke On The Water riff and (apparently) Deep Purple, yet know none of the band members' names, albums or songs (about from SOTW) and find it a good idea to buy Wolfmother enough for it to chart but completely overlook Deep Purple's new album. I found its lack of promotion absolutely astounding.

[quote=Richaod]I'll take an interest in them if they play guitar solos, which is one thing that could set them apart from the ridiculous amount of boring Australian bands these days (Evermore, Jet, etc.).
Is that not valid? Evermore may be from New Zealand, but since we claim everything else from there, I suppose it's valid.

Quoting Richaod:
What ticks me off is the number of retards in this country who worship the Smoke On The Water riff and (apparently) Deep Purple, yet know none of the band members' names, albums or songs (about from SOTW) and find it a good idea to buy Wolfmother enough for it to chart but completely overlook Deep Purple's new album. I found its lack of promotion absolutely astounding.

Well, it's a choice between supporting a new, exciting band or supporting a bunch of hackneyed old men who never got better than mediocre and never need to because they can sit back, release shitty albums and still make their livings off Smoke On The Water.

Posted by Arwon

Yeah I'll be at BDO, there's a few good acts (the Stooges, Sleater Kinney, Living End, Wolfmother, Cog, Beasts of Bourbon, the Go Team, Kings of Leon, Red Riders... plus maybe Magic Numbers, Youth Group and Wolf and Cub who I haven't seen or heard), it'll be decent... but Homebake will be staggeringly good.

Quoting Arwon: Yeah I'll be at BDO, there's a few good acts (the Stooges, Sleater Kinney, Living End, Wolfmother, Cog, Beasts of Bourbon, the Go Team, Kings of Leon, Red Riders... plus maybe Magic Numbers, Youth Group and Wolf and Cub who I haven't seen or heard), it'll be decent... but Homebake will be staggeringly good.

Youth Group are fairly enjoyable, quite poppy. I'll probably watch them unless a band I prefer has the same timeslot.

Homebake's in NSW, right? Who's playing?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Well, it's a choice between supporting a new, exciting band or supporting a bunch of hackneyed old men who never got better than mediocre and never need to because they can sit back, release shitty albums and still make their livings off Smoke On The Water.

It's not their fault that they live off (if at all) Smoke On The Water.

Ritchie Blackmore's post-Purple stuff is definitely interesting though.

Posted by Arwon

Homebake lineup with stuff I like or am interested in seeing in bold:

THE FINN BROTHERSTHE LIVING END • SOMETHING FOR KATE • BEN LEE • WOLFMOTHER • THE CAT EMPIRE • CUT COPYCOGTHE SAINTS (!!) • THE BEAUTIFUL GIRLSDECODER RING • SARAH BLASKO • END OF FASHION • EVERMORE • THE GO-BETWEENS • PAUL MAC • THE DIRTY THREE • KATALYST & RU C.L • SNEAKY SOUND SYSTEM • KISSCHASY • WOLF & CUB • THE ROGUE TRADERS • ARCHITECTURE IN HELSINKI • PNAU • ALEX LLOYD • THE MESS HALL • THE HERD • AMIEL • P-MONEY • THE PRESETS • THE MORNING AFTER GIRLS • THE GRATES • DJ PERIL + SUBURBAN INTELLECT • NFA • LOCAL KNOWLEDGE • DAPPLED CITIES FLY • BRITISH INDIA • EXPATRIATE • THE SCARE • THE HOT LIES • THE GOLDEN AGEDIE! DIE! DIE!

Posted by Arwon

I also would point out the ASTONISHINGLY GOOD initial lineup announcement for the [url=http://www.stjeromesguidetosummer.com/laneway/sydney/news/]Laneway Festival[/url] that's happening in March.

Quoting Arwon: I also would point out the ASTONISHINGLY GOOD initial lineup announcement for the [url=http://www.stjeromesguidetosummer.com/laneway/sydney/news/]Laneway Festival[/url] that's happening in March.

Good gawd almighty, I need a job! That is going to go off.