Text Messaging

Posted by Fireball

I just got a cell phone yesterday (first one I've ever owned) and was wandering around its features... I was wondering, what's the point of the text messaging function if you can just call someone? Is it just to communicate to pagers? Seems pretty limited to me... Anyone know?

Posted by Acheron

There are plenty of situations where people appreciate you NOT talking very loudly on your cellphone. Text messaging minimizes this problem.

Posted by Prince Redon

It's good because if you only wan t to tell someone something, without a conversation starting. To keep it short and simple.

Posted by cool gamer dad

If you get a certain amount of text messages per month with your plan, then you might as well use them. They're not too useful unless you're massaging (lol) someone something that you want the reciever to remember. He/she can save the message for later viewing.

Posted by s0ul

Or if your service isn't good enough to send and receive calls! You can still get texts. Yeah!! :cool2:

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Fireball: I just got a cell phone yesterday (first one I've ever owned) and was wandering around its features... I was wondering, what's the point of the text messaging function if you can just call someone? Is it just to communicate to pagers? Seems pretty limited to me... Anyone know?

You're American aren't you?

Posted by Fireball

[quote]You're American aren't you?
Heh, yes, I live in the United States, if that's what you mean (I assume it is.) Hmm. I've been messing around with the text messaging feature after hearing your guys's comments, and you guys have some valid points.

...Though... I was noticing there are different 'modes' of text messaging - on mine, there's T9, Alpha, and Canned Messages... What do those all do?

Posted by billards

I used it in class where you can't talk on your cell phone. It is also good at passing information along without a convo. Or you could use it to get direction, instead of writting it down where you could mess up, you can have the person text it to you and you have no problems.;)

Posted by Linko_16

Text Messaging has its uses, but the new window of application just gives people more distractions in inappropriate situations. All this portable devices have people screwing around in school or work. People have to know when to put down their cell phones and pay attention to what they're doing.

[url=http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/020530.jpg]For Truth.[/url]

Posted by sabre

Not to mention, it tends to be cheaper than calls, and you can answer in your own time without wasting someone's credit.

[quote=Fireball]...Though... I was noticing there are different 'modes' of text messaging - on mine, there's T9, Alpha, and Canned Messages... What do those all do?I don't know about yours, but on my mobile it's kind of like an auto complete. Say I was trying to type car, I could just press 2, 2, and then whatever number R is on, as opposed to repeatedly mashing the 2 button down in an attempt to cycle through every letter individually. It'll find any words from its (limited) dictionary which you could potentially have been attempting to type, and you can cycle through them if it's not right first time. Alpha would be doing it manually, and I don't know what the hell canned goods does.

I barely ever actually use my mobile, so I'm not even sure that T9 is actually what it was called. This is just a "to the best of my recollection."

Posted by Speedfreak

Mobile phones are vile.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Acheron: There are plenty of situations where people appreciate you NOT talking very loudly on your cellphone.

Like funerals! Text-messaging is good for funerals... but then again Linko has a point with people needing to know when to just live without communicating with someone.

I have no clue how to IM on phones, but I do know it's pretty annoying when my friends do it all the time at school.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Slade: Text-messaging is good for funerals

:-D

But yeah. The T9 dictionary is great for fast texting, as to type the word 'good', for example, you'd type 4663. Typing that out in Alpha mode would need button presses of 4666666333. The only problem with T9 is that it guesses your most commonly used word, and if you're not paying attention you can accidentally type 'home' instead of 'good', as it has the same key combination.

So - alpha is more accurate but slower, and T9 is quicker but less accurate. It helps to get skilled at the T9 predictive texting, though.

The Canned Messages function is what I can only assume are pre-determined messages. Like 'I'll be home late' or something, for ease of use. I'm not sure though, RTFM.

Texting is useful because it's cheaper than voice calling.

However - I thought America was undergoing a PTT revolution?

Posted by Klarth

I've never been able to understand texting. It took a few years for it to appear in the US, and still everyone in the UK does it more than actually calling people. Yeah, I have my own mobile, but I hate it and I only use it when I'm travelling. I think it's something about the Brits that means that they don't like talking to people face to face as much as they do sending a little bit of data that can simply be ignored or replied to later.

Quoting Klarth: I think it's something about the Brits that means that they don't like talking to people face to face as much as they do sending a little bit of data that can simply be ignored or replied to later.

You're probably right. Although technically, phoning people isn't 'face to face'.

I think it's more that a lot of people are one a pay as you go service, and the call rates for that are ludicrous, whereas the texts are not.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Fireball: Heh, yes, I live in the United States, if that's what you mean (I assume it is.) Hmm. I've been messing around with the text messaging feature after hearing your guys's comments, and you guys have some valid points.

...Though... I was noticing there are different 'modes' of text messaging - on mine, there's T9, Alpha, and Canned Messages... What do those all do?

Yeah it was just a comment on my observation that Americans are really behind on text messaging compared to here and apparently the UK.

I think those are different methods of typing... multitap versus dictionary.

Texting is good for when all you need to do is alert someone to plans... just send "Bar Ace tonight, 8ish" to a few people and you don't have to **** around with calling a bunch of people.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Wings]You're probably right. Although technically, phoning people isn't 'face to face'.
True, but what with the chronic insecurity most of us seem to possess, it might as well be.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I send important messages!
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/SkitzoControl/004.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: Cell phones are vile.

QTF, and fixed for America.

Posted by The Judge

Hey, let him have his cultural tones!

Posted by Fireball

[quote]you could use it to get direction, instead of writting it down where you could mess up, you can have the person text it to you and you have no problems.
...Wow, I hadn't even thought of that but it's very true. Can't think of the number of times I wish i'd been able to just shove someone's phone number onto their phone because they can't tell the difference between me saying "five" and "six", or the ever-incredulous "what?"..

[quote]I think it's more that a lot of people are one a pay as you go service, and the call rates for that are ludicrous, whereas the texts are not.
...So text messaging costs less? Very cool. Sounds like i'm going to be using this a little more now.

[quote]Yeah it was just a comment on my observation that Americans are really behind on text messaging compared to here and apparently the UK. Why do you think this is?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Because companies elsewhere are more innovative than ameriuca, which tends to just go with what worked in the past.

Posted by Fireball

...More innovative?

...Good point.

So do you guys think 'texting' will be on the rise in the U.S.? I mean... I have yet to recieve a text message on my phone, but I suppose it's reasonable to postulate about it at this point.

In other countries, do you guys find the predictive text things from T9 or similar companies (which?) to be useful?

Posted by Ant

Internet.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Uh, texting is already kinda popular over here, you know. :/

Serious business?

Posted by 007 ninja

i like to text!

my last text was "i do not believe you are a real doctor"

Posted by Fireball

[quote]Internet.
I was under the impression the internet was developed nearly simultaneously by several government agencies in the U.S., Russia, and Europe, and that from there it grew into a bigger, wider, more obfuscated thing that it is now...

Not that it was entirely innovated by the U.S.

...Hm. So texting is popular in europe. I guess I'll have to look into this a little further for when I visit... (cultural studies trip for school)

Quoting Fireball: T9 or similar companies

T9 is just the name of the iteration of dictionary. Before it was T6 - T9 is just an update of it.

Posted by Fireball

Really? I didn't know that. What does the T stand for? Text? ...Interesting.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Fireball: I was under the impression the internet was developed nearly simultaneously by several government agencies in the U.S., Russia, and Europe, and that from there it grew into a bigger, wider, more obfuscated thing that it is now...

Not that it was entirely innovated by the U.S.

...Hm. So texting is popular in europe. I guess I'll have to look into this a little further for when I visit... (cultural studies trip for school)

Google CERN.

Posted by Nep0

Yeah, there's nothin' like tellin somebody "Haha you're still in school!" while you're out and 'bout in a more concealed sense.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/SkitzoControl/Text.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by misogenie

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Location. What address are you at? What's the name of the place you are looking for? I think I'm lost.Tell me how to get to A - I'm driving my car, I'm at point B? [/COLOR]:rolleyes:

Posted by mis0

Texting can be good when you don't really want to talk to someone, but need something, getting info at work without having to take a break to ring somehwhere, or where you can't make a phonecall, for whatever reason. American kids seem to love to text during class. Personally, I don't know anyone who uses the T9 predictive typing, but many people have the Alpha on their keyboards memorized to the point where they can type without looking at their phones at all (I do this). So, if I need to tell someone something in class, bam, it's done, and no-one can tell.

Also, my phone service offers cheap-*** text rates, and I recieve text for free. I prefer people contact me this way mainly for that reason, and because I'm really bad about returning calls.

There's always a reason why these things have caught on. You may just have to look at it from a different perspective.

edit: Make sure you have texting as part of your plan, or don't use it. They might charge you alot.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting misogenie: [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Location. What address are you at? What's the name of the place you are looking for? I think I'm lost.Tell me how to get to A - I'm driving my car, I'm at point B? [/COLOR]:rolleyes:

I don't get it.