New power supply for VB in UK

Posted by dRoSe

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help! I've managed to make my power supply for the VB go pop due to using a faulty USA to UK adaptor. The VB itself will be fine as luckily I hadn't plugged it in to the power supply at the time. Can someone please recommend the best way to get a new power cord? I understand that a NES or SNES power cord will work fine but the UK ones don't fit!!!

Am I best off buying a US NES/SNES power cord and a US to UK adaptor and getting it shipped from the US or is there some form of generic multi power adaptor I can use?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Posted by Pete

Probably your best best is to get creative with your wirecutters and soldering iron and doing a garage-job of it yourself...

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

The title of this thread got me kind of excited...

Posted by lameboyadvance

Considering the price of voltage converters/importing, you're probably better off doing a chop & change job. :)

I'm assuming you still have the US AC adapter (with big plug). What you'll need to do is remove that plug (with a suitable amount of wire still attached), and attach it onto a new AC adaptor.
You may be able to use a UK SNES adaptor (I can't remember what its specs are), but all you really need is 9-10V, 500-850mA (VB isn't too picky ;)). I used an old Sega adaptor (10V 850mA).
What I did was added a DC socket to the VB plug, and a DC plug to the adaptor (after removing the existing plug).
Just make sure you get the polarity correct. ;)

Hope that helps. :D

Posted by dRoSe

Thanks lameboyadvance! Sorry electronics isn't my strong point, what is a DC socket? Also, what is the possibility of using some form of universal adaptor?

Posted by lameboyadvance

Sorry. Shouldn't assume everyone has electronics experience. :D

When I say DC, I mean the types of plugs you normally see on AC adaptors. Things like modems, speakers, printers etc (you can tell I'm in front of my PC :p: ) all seem to use plug/sockets around 2.1mm in diameter. These can be picked up in pretty much every electronics/hobby store (whatever the UK equivalent of Radio Shack is). The reason I used this size is its a fairly common one and means I can reuse the AC adaptor in other devices (if they use the same voltage and plug size ;)).

What do you mean by universal adaptor? Since US/JP SNES adaptors use huge plugs I've never seen anywhere else (unlike the AU, and I'm assuming UK ones), you may get lucky at finding some sort of adaptor to convert the UK SNES plug over to US size, but I've never heard of one.

If you're planning to get into electronics at all, cables are one of the easier places to start. As long as you have a steady hand (or good tools to hold it for you ;)), and some patience (and a couple of extra plugs/sockets/wire wouldn't hurt either ;)), you should be able to knock up a new UK-friendly adaptor. Beats lugging a convertor around.
Just make sure you get the polarity correct. :)

Posted by dRoSe

Thanks again! When I say multi-adaptor I mean something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=11384&doy=16m11

Do you think one of these will work?

Posted by Boner

Personally, I don't see why something like that wouldn't work.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Sure, but as I said, the US/JP AC adaptors use some overly huge plug which I've never seen available outside of cutting one off and reusing it.
Those types of adaptors have custom plugs/sockets also (between the cable and the multple plugs). You may be able to find one, but since I just took the easy(er) route and just cut up an existing one I don't know. ;)

...Or you could just buy a socket that will fit one one of the plugs in that set, and just plug it into that. :p:

Posted by Pete

Or just cut ze wires, strip them back, tin the tips, then solder them straight onto the controller's contact points.

And yes, you're talking to someone who also has no freaking idea about electronics, I have managed to be zapped by things when there is no power source around. And was almost electrocuted by hair clippers.

Long story short : If I can do it, blind monkeys in Nepal can do it. You'll be fine :)

Posted by dRoSe

Thanks guys I'll give it a go!

Posted by lameboyadvance

Quoting Pete: I have managed to be zapped by things when there is no power source around.
lol, I know how that feels. Sometimes they don't even have capacitors. :D

Even though I do have electronics experience (I actually did a 2 year Electrical Engineering (Advanced) Diploma, after spending the previous decade or so doing basic electronics kits, high school courses etc), my soldering skills still resemble those of an (almost) complete newbie, and I still manage to get zapped by completely random stuff (although I think thats stopped now I've started wearing a grounding strap). :rolleyes:

(You shouldn't need a grounding (wrist) strap for soldering things such as cables, but if you ever do work involving circuits with electronic components (especially ICs), I'd really suggest one.)

Posted by Pete

Nice work LBA :D

I've had some shocking experiences...the most recent of which was trying to cut my hair with one of those electric clippers. Next thing I know, electric current is running up my arm and I drop it instinctively before it goes any further.

One of these days my nine lives will be up haha.

To the original poster, a grounding strap is most likely unnecessary but if it gives you piece of mind, the 10 bucks you pay for it is nothing.
There's bound to be directions around, if not just post, don;t feel any question is too dumb!

(On this topic that is; I swear to God if I ever get one more 'omg is virtual boy liek a GB SP emulator lol were kn i get r0mz' post....)

Posted by lameboyadvance

Quoting Pete: (I swear to God if I ever get one more 'omg is virtual boy liek a GB SP emulator lol were kn i get r0mz' post....)
I know, I know... :rolleyes:
We should just add [url=http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=39]this link[/url] to our sigs. I know it won't help much, but theres not much else we can do besides going on a shotgun rampage... :chainsaw:

Posted by dRoSe

Ha ha, yeah don't worry I know the VB is a game & watch emulator (joke!). i still haven't got round to sorting it but any problems I'm sure I'll be straight back here!