Dragon Quest VIII/Square Enix Gives stuff away?

Posted by hiro57

So Dragon Quest VIII is coming out tommorow. I can't wait to play this game!! The graphics are brilliantly drawn by Akira Toriyama, and the gameplay is everything one would expect from one of the greatest RPG series ever!! In fact, this might be the greatest traditional RPG released to date!
Anyways, there is a great fan community out there for Dragon Quest VIII! Square Enix has donated to them lots of prizes to be either earned or won! They include PS2 games(FFX,FFX-2,Star Ocean, Musashi:Samurai Legends, Kingdom Hearts, and Fullmetal Alchemist 2), movies(Pirates of the Carribean, Lord of the Rings, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Star Wars Episode 1, and The Princess Bride), accessories(slime duffle bags and a slime ps2 controller), magazine subscriptions(various anime and game magazines, and mp3 players and a 20 gb IPod. For the next couple of days they have been giving away free prizes in honor of DQVIII release on Wednesday. Yesterday several people got to pick a game of thier choice without having to earn it, and the same thing happened on the day before that!! Everything on this site is safe and free! You just have to do various "quests" to get prizes!!
And as a sidenote, I was searching through the site, and one of the prizes will be a PS3, which means everyone still has lots of time to get points!!
Well heres the link:
http://www.slimeknights.com/slimeknights/?u=FullmetalHiro

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It's still wrong not to call it Dragon Warrior VIII.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Prince Shondronai: It's still wrong not to call it Dragon Warrior VIII.

Thank you.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The game looks retarded.

Posted by Big Boss

Retarded? Ha! Nice call.

At any rate, Fate bought it earlier today, and she fell in love with it after playing it for a couple of hours. I'm giving her a hard time just because she dares say the series is better than FF, but in reality I'm more than willing to try it out once she's done with it (Akira Toriyama deserves it), and once she stops praising it every 0.5 seconds.

Posted by Pikamon

Is it really that good?

I was wavering on buying it, as I do not purchase very many games nowadays. I may wait til christmas and just ask my parents for cash.

It is better than 7? I thought that one was fantastic, espescially because of its simplicity. Is 8 better?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Pikamon: Is it really that good?

I was wavering on buying it, as I do not purchase very many games nowadays. I may wait til christmas and just ask my parents for cash.

It is better than 7? I thought that one was fantastic, espescially because of its simplicity. Is 8 better?

Well, it is the best selling PS2 game in Japan, and so far the media happens to really like it. From what I've read and heard, if you like Dragon Quest/Warrior you'll love VIII. It's a traditional RPG that doesn't mess with formula, unlike FF does in every new game, so fans aren't left out of the water.

I must say, though, traditional isn't my cup of tea.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Big Boss]once she stops praising it every 0.5 seconds.[/color]

Never. I <3 Dragon QUEST (it's the Japanese title, you ****s) to death.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I cant get past how mind bogglingly retarded it looks. I was watching my firend play, and he went super sayain. I'm not going to play an RPG that emulates DBZ.

Posted by Luigi182

Man, I so want this game. I've loved DW/DQ ever since I played the remake of DW3 on the GBC. DW7 was also a great game. Awesome stuff.

I'm really hard pressed to decide which game to get for myself. There are 2 games I really want right now, DQ8 and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. I only have enough money for one at the moment. Do I go for a really deep and enriching RPG or do I go for an action sports title that I can play online and have countless amounts of competition? Hmmm...

Posted by Slade

Man, I bought it earlier today, but am waiting to play it until later because I have a friend over right now, and it'd be rude to make him watch me for a few hours. He's not so much into RPGs... But it's cool.

I was so happy when I pre-ordered DQVIII because I got something free out of the aptly titled "free box", and amid the crap, there was the complete soundtrack to Digital Devil Saga 2. Sweetness. And I got this awesome poster. Today when I picked it up, I pre-ordered FFXII(because I'm like that), and got a nice demo for Battlefield 2.

RPGs are good to me.

Posted by Shade

Lucky bastard.

This game is starting to become more and more appealing to me, I might have to get it. Or at very least, ask for it for Christmas.

Up yours, Fate. I'm not in Japan. It's been called Dragon Warrior for the past 15-or-so games. It's far too late to change it. Changing Final Fantasy's sequel number system was stupid, too, but I don't care about that series as much, so whatever.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]I cant get past how mind bogglingly retarded it looks. I was watching my firend play, and he went super sayain. I'm not going to play an RPG that emulates DBZ.

I think you've just cited a reason for me to get it. :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wtfux, I hit delete on that.. oh well.

I'll msot likely give it a try after the guy I know who has it is done, but theres no way I'm going to buy it without trying it first.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Up yours, Fate. I'm not in Japan. It's been called Dragon Warrior for the past 15-or-so games. It's far too late to change it. Changing Final Fantasy's sequel number system was stupid, too, but I don't care about that series as much, so whatever.

Hey, hey, I don't have enough space in mine with the enormous cock of Big Boss always in me.

Anyways, it just eliminates all the confusion. No need for insults, seeing as how I wasn't serious. About the "you ****s" thing and not the cock thing.
:(

By the way, this game is amazing. Check it out. Old-school RPG goodness.

Posted by Speedfreak

Alright. Seriously. Maybe you were raised in the fucking wilderness and your first contact with humans was VGC, I DON'T KNOW. But on this planet that's way too much information.

Posted by Fate

He started it. I finished it. I was just kidding. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

Kidding or not, you've given me a fucking mental image you whore.

Posted by Fate

/loved

You're being silly. Get DQVIII and make it bear your love child, just like me. Er-- I mean, make it bear your love child, not me. :o

Posted by Speedfreak

I actually know nothing about it, other than apparantly going Super Saiyan. Never played a Dragon Quest game before.

Posted by Fate

You must. It's underappreciated outside of Japan. :(

The only thing you've done by saying that you're having sex with big boss is convince me that you are one-of-three-options:
1. A man.
2. Not particularly smart.
3. Actually typed by big boss's right hand.

As for Dragon Warrior VIII, I'm certain it's a much better game than anything in the Final Fantasy series. I've got 3 GAMECUBE games to finish, 2 X-box ones, 2 for DS, 1 for GBA, a different one on ps2, and the coolest video arcade in the universe to run. It's on my Christmas list, though.

Posted by Fate

You know, just because he's not a fanboy doesn't make his cock any less big. Also, I'm sure you would put buying DQVIII just because it's on the PS2. You're retarded, nevermind the credit I've tried giving you in the past.

Did I not say that I already had a ps2 game to finish at the moment? My ps2 happens to be at my arcade at the moment, running Soul Calibur III for the masses. Once I finish modding my Japanese one, I'll get right back at finishing "Dragon Warrior & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special," though (it came free with the system).

Besides your obvious disillusion that big boss isn't a fanboy, the fact that you're mentioning his phallus so much only reinforces my belief that you are not actually a female acquaintance of his, or at least not one that anyone who isn't a chubby wrestling fan would be interested in.

Posted by Big Boss

Hahahaha, you're hilarious, Prince! Why don't you do the bit about Chrono Cross being worse than Superman 64? That's one of your greatest hits!

Posted by Fate

Considering you only have about two PS2 games, do forgive me if I take your "I have played the ps2 see I'm not a fanboy sony still sucks though let's decapitalize it and any of the supporters" comments lightly.

And quit attacking my looks. When it comes to my face, I'm not modest. You're seriously out of touch with reality. All these personal attacks for nothing? I overestimated you.

Posted by Speedfreak

Actually, I'd have to say you started making things "personal" in this thread, Fate. :-/

So, uh, what's Dragon Quest like, then?

Posted by Fate

Take an old-school turn-based battle forumula, take away all the annoyances of NES "epic adventure" gaming, pretty it all up and add some bells and whistles and you have yourself a contender for game of the year.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Prince Shondronai: The only thing you've done by saying that you're having sex with big boss is convince me that you are one-of-three-options:
1. A man.
2. Not particularly smart.
3. Actually typed by big boss's right hand.

Uh, shes none of the above, unless his right hand can fake sounding like an intelligent British accented girl.

Wait, wtf, how did I end up defending Fate?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]Take an old-school turn-based battle forumula, take away all the annoyances of NES "epic adventure" gaming, pretty it all up and add some bells and whistles and you have yourself a contender for game of the year.[/COLOR]

...sounds like Golden Sun. Is that a hasty assumption?

Posted by Fate

Umm, not quite... Think basic as basic can get. Mix two items to get a super item. Think character-specific stats (like the "warrior" or the "magician" of the group). Djinni were a slight advancement, like SNES RPGs. I'm talking about taking an NES RPG and making it 3D.

Posted by Speedfreak

...Pokémon? That's the most basic RPG I've enjoyed, anyway. FF1 is awful :(

Posted by Fate

If you went to [url]www.consoleclassix.com[/url] and quickly checked out DWI & II, you'd know what I was talking about. It's really good, trust me. :(

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/dragonwarrior8/review.html]GameSpot Review[/url]

Posted by Pikamon

Having played both DW3 and DW7, I can see where Fate is coming from. I'll get this game as soon as I get the cash. It looks really promising, and the FF12 demo is also an added incintive.