Which do you perfer, sad or happy endings?

Posted by Xenos

I went around asking everyone in my buddy list, well, at least most, the same question: Sad endings or happy endings?

These endings can pretain to anything, a videogame or a story.

I, at least, got some pretty divided answers, so now I am just curious to see what you guys think.

I don't really -perfer- or think any of them are -better- than the other, but more of the way it is being executed and how well it fits into the mood of the story. Yet for your information, my favorite ending to a game was a bittersweet one from Terranigma.

One thing I tend to like about sad endings, in alternative to happy endings, they seem to last longer in your mind than a normal happy ending where everyone goes home practically untouched.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Surreal.

"Thats an offensive weapon, that is!"

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sad. Like Xenos said, they stick with you longer and tend to have way more of an impact. Happy endings tend to be too unrealistic sometimes. If you have this badass villian killing people left and right, I just find it hard to believe that no one in your party (or a NPC you are attached to in the game) doesn't die, when tons of others have.

Though, you do need happy endings every now and then. You don't want games becoming too depressing. Plus, if you go through hell with your character, most of the time you don't want to see him/her die in the end. So it would depend on a few things.

Posted by ExoXile

What Vamp said.

Posted by Crazy K

It depends really. If I were to play a video game, I would like to have a sad ending because it makes the game more interesting and more movie like. Like with Metal Gear Solid 3, at the end (spoiler) [spoiler]when you kill the boss its quite sad, [/spoiler] and I like that.

In a book or movie I like to see a happy ending more often. I really dont know why though.

Posted by GameMiestro

I like funny endings, they're far less cheesy and much more memorable than sad or happy ones. And funny isn't always happy.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Happy endings occur all too often. Anyways, yeah, I told you over aim.

Posted by Speedfreak

Sad endings actually really tick me off. I feel angry with the author for leaving me on a crappy note. Bittersweet endings, I find, are the best. They seem to be the most realistic, as most major endings in real life are bittersweet. If you can't do that I figure you might aswell end with a party.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Speedfreak: Sad endings actually really tick me off. I feel angry with the author for leaving me on a crappy note. Bittersweet endings, I find, are the best. They seem to be the most realistic, as most major endings in real life are bittersweet. If you can't do that I figure you might aswell end with a party.

What he said.

Posted by Hammered On

Happy. I want a movie to cheer me up.

Sad endings make me depressed.

Posted by mis0

Bittersweet, because that's how most everything is and it doesn't overpower any one feeling or message. Then again, they don't always seem to be as powerful as a happy/sad type of story.

Posted by Zeta

Bittersweet, I suppose.

Posted by NES Queen

sad. much more true to real life 90% of the time

Posted by chec

i prefer ANGRY ENDINGS, they make me want to listen to Rise Against the Machines

Posted by Porcupine

Bittersweet. Life of Brian, anyone?

Posted by junior senior

Happy endings, they're usually in comedys, which I watch a lot.

Posted by Fate

In Saikano, [color=#666666]THE WORLD DIES. Only Shuji and the memory of his girlfriend and the world are left on the planet after she destroys it. There is no food or water, either, which would lead you to conclude that he was either driven to insanity by seeing his girlfriend after she died, and he would eventually starve to death. It's my favorite anime, too. It's incredibly sad. It stuck with me.[/color]

Posted by Klarth

This is like the third time in the same number of days which I've had to agree with someone saying something about Saikano. Whoosh.

I like bittersweet endings I guess!

Posted by KoH

Sad. Happy endings are too generic, and because of that they've less impact. Like Vamp said. Then again, even if sad endings were as commonplace as happy endings I'd still prefer sad endings due to the way they make you think. Don't know exactly about what... but they make me think at least.

Posted by Slade

Bittersweet or sad endings. Basically for the reasons stated above. Metal Gear Solid 3.

Posted by Fate

I'd classify MGS3's ending as "depressing in a cool kind of way" or something like that.

Posted by Slade

I'd classify "depressing in a cool kind of way" as "bittersweet"
:smileyhanginghimselfbutsmiling:

I think bittersweet will own this poll basically because it gives people a chance to sit on the fence, so to speak.

Posted by Fragliche

It depends on what kind of sad ending it is with me.

I prefer romantic, but very depressing endings. Because to be honest, if everything has a happy ending like they normally want in movie why bother? Like movies similar to CRY_Wolf. It wasn't a romantic ending, but it sure as hell wasn't a happy ending. Not a joyful one. (edited for people not to be unhappy with spoilers :<)

sad ending > happy ending.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: A murder got to go scott free, and a once innocent boy is to forever have his dreams haunted until he dies on a crime he could have avoided. d=

SPOILERS :(

Posted by Pit

I thought it was shocking that Jesus died at the end of the passion. You would think god would give him powers at the and and him doing crouching tiger hideen dragon **** with the cross, but no, he just died.

And what's with King Kong dying? What a ***** ***.

Posted by The Judge

Happy endings. I go to movies to be entertained. When I want to be entertained, I get something that has a nice resolve to it. My life is boring enough, I don't need it to get worse by a sad ending.