Final Fantasy 12

Posted by Lord of Spam

Penny Arcade linked to some interesting info on FF12. From what I can tell from the preview, there's a chance that it could suck out loud.

Apparently, they have changed a large amount of what made Final Fantasy itself. (An interesting note is that if the changes are permanent, and they end up sucking, it will mean that FFX was the final Final Fantasy. :X)

The character designs look of over all (with the exception of the male lead, who reminds me of Tidus) rather good. The graphics are also nice looking.

Also, there is going to be a demo shipping soon with another game, but the actualy game itself isnt slated for america for about a year. Japan gets it in May. >:0

Sorry about the lack of a link, but it appears that as of right now, PA is getting raped by MySQL. check back later if you want to read the preview.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'm not excited about this, but I'll pick it up once the price drops. The graphics are beautiful, but they could have made the main character hotter. I haven't read up on anything about it, but I hope the storyline turns out decent.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[url=http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145629&did=1]Penny-Arcade went back up (with a new layout, no less), so here's the link.[/url]

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Lord of Spam]
Also, there is going to be a demo shipping soon with another game, but the actualy game itself isnt slated for america for about a year. Japan gets it in May. >:0
THAT "ANOTHER GAME" WOULD BE ONE OF THE DRAGON QUESTS, GRAAAAAAGH

I was looking at this on IGN a few minutes ago, and I think I might wind up getting myself a PS2 sometime soon.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Sorry I didnt mention it by name. I had read the article, and then when I went to write this, it was down, and I couldnt remember what it was.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Of all the things said, this disappointed me the most:

Quoted post: There's no transition to combat, no change in music or scene as you engage the foe

What the hell? I love the combat music in the FF series. :(

Yeah, although no battle transition will take place, which is neat, I did enjoy the battle musics from the other series (or in other games in general). It will be weird battling while, say, world map music is playing. Even in games such as Baldur's Gate, where battle takes place without changing screens, the music will switch to a battle theme, and I really enjoy that. Oh well.

Posted by Pikamon

I'm actually kind of glad they made the transitions non-existant. I still would have enjoyed some upbeat songs, but oh well. I'll get this because I trust the FF name (I'm so naive), but I don't have any high hopes for it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Well, I played it.

It, in a word, SUCKED.

I'm still going to get it though, as the story looks nifty.

Posted by Klarth

[img]http://www.1up.com/media?id=2471457&type=lg[/img]
finul fantyasy XIi is the r0xx0r isnt it guyz 0mg loii8liuhrybhgd

Posted by Lord of Spam

...I'd get mad, but its not fake. One of the summons has an attack called roxxor, in which it trows a rather large rock at the enemy.

ahahah, somehow, it just got awesome.

Posted by Fate

Yeah, the Roxxor attack was beautiful. Worth the buy.

On a related note, I can see how people wouldn't like the demo because it seemed to throw too many things at the player all at once. After a couple of minutes, I found the gameplay interesting.

Posted by Slade

I played the demo... It was strange because earlier that day when I got DQVIII and a RPG hatin' friend of mine was along, he said that he didn't like them because of the whole turn-based, "unrealistic" fighting. So when I played the demo I was really suprised at the new battle system. I got the hang of it after a little while, all except for the "captain" thing... couldn't figure out how to permanently switch to a different character. The transition to no menu will be a hard one for me. Then again, maybe there will be a menu in the release edition(equipping weapons anyone?).

Hell, I'd get it if you played as a small rock, and just sat there. As long as it was Final Fantasy.
*sigh*

Posted by Lord of Spam

Which is why the quality hs continued to suffer. People keep buying the crapfests no matter how much bad press it gets.

Posted by Random

Eh i'm not especially looking forward to Final Fantasy XII til I hear from others on what they think of it. The latest Final Fantasy titles have sucked or haven't been up to par from the recent years before-hand.

I loved Tactics, VII, IX from the PS1, and nothing from the PS2. Though I haven't tried Final Fantasy XI for it (which doesn't look bad), and if you asked me, Crystal Chronicals was anything but Good!

So personally I think X, X-2 and CC were the cause of all the natural disasters we've had lately. I mean thats a good enough explaination to me. Gods clearly disappointed in Square-Enix so he figures he'll jack some people up.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Eh i'm not especially looking forward to Final Fantasy XII til I hear from others on what they think of it. .

It sucks. Dont buy it.

Clear enough?

Posted by Random

well... I'll let that up to my friends to decide. Of course i'll try it before I buy it. But if it was as bad as CC, X or X-2 then it's a laughing joke.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Its got the worst fighting system I've seen in any FF, and a stereotypical story/cast of characters.

Posted by Random

Square-Enix is going downhill fast..

Posted by Fate

Uh, no it's not. What are you talking about?

Posted by Klarth

Don't you get it? It's obvious that everything that's new is inevitably and unarguably bad and you should just accept that fact because everyone else does. And it'll be at least ten years before anyone's allowed to be nostalgic about the current state of affairs. Honestly.

Also, it's always a good idea to only pay attention to the sub-par releases and ignore the good games. Ahem.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Square-Enix is going downhill fast..

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yeah, and Hell is freezing over. . .[/COLOR]

Posted by Acheron

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Yeah, and Hell is freezing over. . .[/COLOR]

The second I saw that you had posted last in this thread, I already knew that I was going to tell you to shut the fuck up.

Posted by Fate

But he speaks the truth.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Acheron: The second I saw that you had posted last in this thread, I already knew that I was going to tell you to shut the fuck up.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Ok, then you must agree with SomebodyRandom about Square-Enix going downhill. So then, explain to me how in the f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck that's possible when the last game they put out was received amazingly well with AAA reviews from mostly everyone. And do i need to mention that they are developing 2 of this generation's most anticipated games (Kingdom Hearts II and Final Fantasy XII)?

Then there's the multitude of FFVII spin-offs, which may not receive the high ratings of the 2 previously mentioned games, but will no doubt score big popularity points and sales with it's Final Fantasy fanbase.

So i ask you again. How in the f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck is Square-Enix going downhill when they keep developing games of both great popularity and quality? It's not. Shut the f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck up.[/COLOR]

Posted by Xenos

To me, it doesn't matter how much money they get. In my definition, "downhill" means how much I like the game. And in all honesty, here is my feelings for Square.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Xuphansa/Misc/Square.jpg

Didn't feel like playing Dragon Quest. Probably will later.

Posted by Fate

Your definition, perhaps; totally acceptable by perception. But in reality...

Posted by Acheron

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]So i ask you again. How in the f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck is Square-Enix going downhill when they keep developing games of both great popularity and quality? It's not. Shut the f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck up.[/COLOR]

Because 14 million Celine Dion fans can't be wrong!

EDIT: If we're basing the question of "Has Square gone downhill?" off game reviews . . .

. . . you [URL="http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/graphwrite.asp?ID=447948C7AAFAEB847&file=png"]lose[/URL].

Posted by Fate

SquareEnix hasn't made a real game since X anyways. Dragon Quest ought to have changed that. They can only go up, now.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yup. The last 2 games on that chart are spin-offs and Dragon Quest VIII wasn't even included, i'm not surprised that they didn't get that high of a score and neither should you.

So, If we're basing the question of "Has Square gone downhill?" off game reviews . . .

. . . i win.[/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

No, Paul, we win. As gamers.

Posted by Acheron

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Yup. The last 2 games on that chart are spin-offs and Dragon Quest VIII wasn't even included, i'm not surprised that they didn't get that high of a score and neither should you.[/COLOR]

Yep, because a spinoff is obviously not a game, obviously not a Final Fantasy Game (especially since both of them have Final Fantasy in their titles, and even more so because XI is the numeral after X) and/or not made by Square. For this reason, it cannot logically be included in a graph chronicling Final Fantasy games made by Square.

Excuses can only get you so far, son.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I love the Final Fantasy name. I've grown up playing these games, since I picked up FF2 for the SNES in 1992, I've loved these games. I was in line with all the other nerds to buy FF3 the day it came out. When I heard it was moving to the Sony Playstation, I bought FF7, and began regularly renting a sony playstation because at the time, FF7 was the only playstation game I'd ever want to play (obviously, these days, I own a playstation and many other PSX and PS2 games).

But because I love Final Fantasy, I think they need to stop making them.

Call them by another name if you must make them, but don't sully the entire franchise with these ridiculous excuses for games. Seriously, it bothers me that people call themselves Final Fantasy Fanatics and they've played only X or X-2. That p*sses me right straight off. Those people have no freaking idea of what Final Fantasy is all about. More and more of them are created every day, and making new FF games is increasing their number.

But here's the kicker: Nobuo Uematsu won't be making anymore music for the FF games. Uematsu's tunes are legendary and they carry the games in a way that no other game's music has, ever. Final Fantasy without Nobuo Uematsu is very much like Star Wars without John Williams. The music doesn't stand out like the pictures do, but it's there, subtly.

To you fans of older FFs who haven't played them in a while, try this: Download a few songs from older FFs, and then tell me that the game doesn't come rushing back into your head, just like it was when you played it. The music makes the game, and without Nobuo at the helm of the music, I know it won't be as great as it was, because no one can compose in his style, which is the style that has become definitive of Final Fantasy games.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Fei-on: But here's the kicker: Nobuo Uematsu won't be making anymore music for the FF games.

THE SERIES IS NOW DEAD IN MY EYES.

Quoting Fei-on: To you fans of older FFs who haven't played them in a while, try this: Download a few songs from older FFs, and then tell me that the game doesn't come rushing back into your head, just like it was when you played it.

I have the FF7 final theme, the FF7 chocobo music, the Cosmo Canyon theme, and Black Mage Village on my computer, and they all bring back different things.

Posted by Pikamon

I expect KH2 to kick some major butt. FFXII...maybe not so much.

If you look at the comparison of bad to good games that Square-Enix is churning out, the bad slightly outweighs the good, but the good games are so good that people (in general) forget about the bad. In ten years, when we look back on the company, we won't remember the sucky games.

I agree that they should either stop making the FF games or change the name, though. I think 12 is enough, not to mention the spinoffs. Didn't they say that FF:CC only had the FF name just so that they could sell more copies?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Pikamon: In ten years, when we look back on the company, we won't remember the sucky games.

Ever heard of ET for the Atari 2600?

Posted by Fate

Quoting Fei-on: To you fans of older FFs who haven't played them in a while, try this: Download a few songs from older FFs, and then tell me that the game doesn't come rushing back into your head, just like it was when you played it. The music makes the game, and without Nobuo at the helm of the music, I know it won't be as great as it was, because no one can compose in his style, which is the style that has become definitive of Final Fantasy games.

OMG, FFVIII and VI have the greatest orchestrated songs in the history of Final Fantasy. The piano versions are godly. I've never been more moved! "Aria Di Mezzo Carattere" in its operatic form is my favorite game song.

Posted by FullMetal

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]OMG, FFVIII and VI have the greatest orchestrated songs in the history of Final Fantasy. The piano versions are godly. I've never been more moved! "Aria Di Mezzo Carattere" in its operatic form is my favorite game song.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred]I have to agree FFVIII and VI do have the greatest orchestrated songs ever.[/COLOR]

Posted by Veggan

[COLOR=white]I wouldn't agree Fullmetal FFX and FFVII have the greatest orchestrated songs ever.[/COLOR]

Posted by Pikamon

Quoting Lord of Spam: Ever heard of ET for the Atari 2600?

That's because ET has been nominated as the worst video game ever made about twelve different times (and won each time...). I don't really think that game qualifies for what I was talking about.

Posted by Lord of Spam

How about every licensed game ever made, then? That good enough?

(lol except chronicals of riddick)