Resident Evil - Code Veronica X

Posted by Buneasta

This was one of the most entertaining additions to a grand series I have been playing for many years. Alfred and Alexia Ashford remain two of the most sadistic villains I've ever seen. The game was originally a sequel to Resident Evil 2 that was exclusive to the Dreamcast.

In that version Albert Wesker was almost killed by Alexia, so what they did was they made a director's cut version for the PS2 and eventually, the Gamecube where Wesker retaliates at the stairs. We also see Chris and Wesker go one on one in a battle that was cut short by explosions.

The story followed Claire Redfield going to Europe to find Chris after making it out of Raccoon City, but she gets captured by Umbrella so instead of finding Chris she finds herself behind bars on some creepy prison island with weird torture stuff, and the only survivor is a guard called Rodrigo. He lets Claire go after the island is attacked but this attack causes a deadly virus to infect the prisoners on the island.

Steve Burnside is also able to avoid turning into a zombie as he teams up with Claire to find an airport and escape, which involves finding these crests. One of the spookiest parts in this game was when Claire was in the palace and you hear that piano music. This is very good in horror films. I believe this was the only game to feature the poisonous Hunters, but regardless of what they look like these creatures are worse than the zombies because they are fast, athletic and they can kill you in one go.

By the time I got off the island and fought that boss, I'm usually almost out of bullets so the Antartica scenario is very complex. I'd give this game 10 out of 10 because it is a very great game with good lightning effects and a brilliant story to boot. I think the series could use a new direction.