New board needed! "News And current Affairs"

Posted by I feel Yellow?

I think VGC needs a board like this under the off-topic section. When i made a topic of the man arrested for Bittorrent i had no idea what board to put it in.

Posted by Klarth

I'm all for this idea!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

As am I.

Though, it seems pretty obvious that the link belonged in OT.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

I actually like this idea. If we had a board like this, maybe OT would stop being infested by them.

Posted by sabre

I... think that a. any serious news or current affairs would probably end up in the War Board even with a news board, and that b. it won't catch on.

Posted by Dexter

Bad idea. I agree with Sabredog.

Posted by Luigi182

I also agree with Sabredog. We have enough boards as it is.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

It'd be nice, but I can't see it being very catchy.

Posted by Poison

Maybe we should just make a sticky in the war board called, "News And current Affairs."

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Quoting Poison: Maybe we should just make a sticky in the war board called, "News And current Affairs."

That's a worse idea. Maybe a sub forum?

Posted by Ant

No.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Linkman: That's a worse idea. Maybe a sub forum?

Yeah, in OT. If a thread gets opinionated/debatey, move to war board?

Posted by Jesse Smith

Here's an idea, 'News and Current Affairs' as a main board where the war board is, and then a sub-board under that board as the location of the current wars on issues board???

Posted by sabre

...could I have that in English, please? I got it all up to the second comma, then it just reads "Blah blah blah blah blah" to me.

Quoting Jesse Smith: Here's an idea, 'News and Current Affairs' as a main board where the war board is, and then a sub-board under that board as the location of the current wars on issues board???

I actually like that idea.

Posted by Iris

Why not just keep it in OT? Then, like Klarth said, move it to War Board if needed.

Posted by Fate

People have this nasty habit of posting news links in the War Board. For a while now I've been wanting to have a place to post funny links and stuff in, but for now the OT board will suffice. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind this idea and it would be put to more use than people think. There are enough intelligent people here at VGC to put it to use.

Posted by maian

...We have enough similar Off Topic boards as it is. People always get confused as to post something in the war board, community board, off topic, or sometimes even polls. Adding another one, especially being so similar, would be pointless.

Quoted post: ...We have enough similar Off Topic boards as it is. People always get confused as to post something in the war board, community board, off topic, or sometimes even polls. Adding another one, especially being so similar, would be pointless.

If they're confused, then they shouldn't be posting. The board names alone should tell you where your thread belongs.

Posted by I feel Yellow?

not every bit of news is to do with war though.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

The war board isn't necessarily about "war." It's a debate board for any subject.

Posted by Klarth

Not every piece of news needs to be debated.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Which is exactly why I'm all for this idea.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting I feel Yellow?: not every bit of news is to do with war though.

Hah! This is a laughable statement.

The war board isn't a place for discussing wars, it's a debate board. Almost any news issues that are brought up will have two or more sides to them, which means that they will incite debate, almost certainly.

So if you have the News Board as a main board, and the war board as a sub-forum, and contentious threads can be moved into the war board for continued debate, while the main news board is reserved for discussion, and not heated debate.

Posted by Arczu

This seems like a good idea. The war board really is where people debate things rather than discuss them. You really don't see funny things happen in the war board that often, so it should not recieve crazy news postings where people may wonder "what the hell is this doing here?!".