Dual booting XP and Linux Ubuntu

Posted by I feel Yellow?

I have got my laptop and i have XP on partion C:/ as a FAT32 and D:/ partion just as a file storage. I am planning to wipe the D:/ drive and put on Linux Ubuntu 5.10 but on all the sites that say how to do it they say that you need to make a linux boot disk or something like that for it to work, there is a small problem in which i dont have a 3 1/2 floppy on my laptop. Any other tips for dual booting appreciated.

Posted by f4phantom2500

I installed Ubuntu awhile back, and I'm 99% sure you don't need a floppy drive for it; just make the computer boot from CD.

Why are you using FAT32 instead of NFTS? NTFS is just better.

Posted by arctickaypro

if he wants to get/send files from his c partition, it will be a hella easier and safer mounting a fat32 drive than an NTFS anyway.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I personally would use FAT32 as well, a little outdated, but i've found it to be more reliable than NTFS.

Posted by NegativeTrend

NTFS works fine when you mount it in Linux as long as you don't try to write anything to it.

Posted by f4phantom2500

Yeah guys, my windows partition was NTFS and it mounted in Ubuntu just fine. Besides, it's just better than FAT32, there's really no reason to use it unless you've got like a Windows XP/98 dual-boot and you need to use software from 98 that only works with FAT32 in XP. Then again, I didn't try saving files to it, but retrieving files from an NTFS partition works fine.