Call of Duty 2 ~ not as good as original

Posted by Darkbackward

I just recently purchased, played through, and beaten the single player as well as play several multiplayer maps.

I must say in the beginning I was extremely dissapointed.

I'll start off with the health system. It is unrealistic in the extreme but it is good for the single player at least. It basically has you dodging behind something when your screen turns red. This encourages the use of cover so you can recoup health. But, techinically, you can take an unlimited amount of flak in any given level and still succeed. From the first game, you wouldn't want to go into battle with limited health and you would search endlessly for medkits. That problem is non existant in the sequel. But, the game is easier as a result, and I only died a few times when I played single player.

The health system for the mulitplayer is somewhat of a different story. Because you are playing real humans things get more exciting, and so the stakes become higher. When you got shot the ability to run away and recoup health in a few seconds is wonderful, but when you waste 3 bullets on a goon only to have him run away behind his teammates and lose no health is quit aggravating. So it works twofold. I got used to it after much slandering of the system.

The weapons are what I have some of a problem with. You see, the crosshiars no longer exist when you move, you must absolutely still to have crosshairs. I'm sure this adds realism as you must use ironsights, and automatics don't suffer. But if you played the original your favorite weapons will likely change. The Kar98k and Mosin Nagant were my favorite cod weapons, now they are possibly the worst of the bunch. The Totakarev, m1 Garand, and Lee-enfield are all magic to me now, and I never really liked those weapons in cod 1. So again, it will change your choices.

As far as the single player campagin goes: The alternate route choosing is overrated and pointless, it doesn't matter what you do, you jus thave to do it, and choosing a route bears no strategic purpose. This only happens occasionally, and they notify you about it like it's something special. Combine this with lacklutser AI that still does the EXACT same hide and shoot techniques from the first and you have a watered down sequel.

Perhaps the most disturbing element was the fact that you were doing the same thing. Defend the bridge, take over the town then defend it, sniping level. Defend the birdge, take over the town then defend it, sniping level. A carbon copy of action from the first game, this single player madness leaves MUCH to be desired in terms of quality. Also, it is short, and the russian campaign is horrible and really demeans their existence in the game. That being said, hill 40 of the allies is one of the best single player levels I've played in my life. But, the original did these missions better, becuase it was the first to create the formula, this was before the cliches and before things became stale. Unfortunately COD 2 doesn't change the single player, it merely puts a pretty face on things.

The multiplayer is interesting, there are no special changes and it is a downgrade from the fantastic UO multiplayer. No vehicles, lots of spawn camping. Just like the glory days of cod 1. The biggest thing you will have to get used to is the new weapon physics and health system. After that, you will be shouting at your endlessly nooby teammates to guard the flag for the love of God as they plunge headfirst into fortified enemy bunkers. They have many maps redone from the original version, and these changes make sense for the most part. Brecourt is one, and St. Englise Church is another. They make the levels more enjoyable. The new levels range from ok to good. The desert levesl were extremely grossing because the setting changed so much.

So, as a game from the standpoint of someone who has never played cod I would say this game could easily bet a 10/10. However, for a lackluster single player and a really no different mulitplayer I would give this a sequel score of 7/10.

That being said, the multiplayer is quite addicting, and fans of the game should still buy cod 2. Even if it is a dissapointment.

Posted by brionlaken92

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! call of duty 2 big red one is totally better than the first one, the first one was like stupid and gay, i meen number 2 is better than it by a far shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know what your smoking but dont give me any of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by KoH

Brion, you're not helping the cause of CoD2 to sound any better...

In any case, Dark. What mode were you playing on? I honestly don't believe that anyone would be stupid enough to implement such a health system in a game... But if you played this on normal, then wow. It really is very weird that they included such an obvious fault in the game thinking that it would be a good idea.

Yeah, sure, the single player hasn't been great, but I don't believe that's why the majority of people play it. That's only what I think, mind you, and to be honest I haven't played any CoD game so I wouldn't know 100%.

I did get the game with my new video card so I'll give it a whirl as soon as I get my new computer working and give you a contrast review.

Posted by sniperwolf128

Call of Duty 2 is great the single play is class bit short but still. The crosshair dissapearing mean u need to use the sight on the gun which is more realistic it make it harder too. the Health system is a bit annoying but i just downloaded the mini mod that adds the COD health bar. the muiltplayer is much better now. the graphic and sound are great. I Love this game.

P.S. This is not the Big Red one thats on consoles not PC

Posted by Xeal

Quoting Darkbackward:
I'll start off with the health system. It is unrealistic in the extreme but it is good for the single player at least. It basically has you dodging behind something when your screen turns red. This encourages the use of cover so you can recoup health. But, techinically, you can take an unlimited amount of flak in any given level and still succeed. From the first game, you wouldn't want to go into battle with limited health and you would search endlessly for medkits. That problem is non existant in the sequel. But, the game is easier as a result, and I only died a few times when I played single player.dissapointment.

I agree, when you knew you had something like 5% health left, It made you think, run for cover and find the best way to get out of the situation alive until you got a medkit and could go rambo with your thompson.

Now you can just wait for your health to refill and go superhero. Unless you play on the veteran difficulty level. *shrug*

But the graphics and the gameplay are fantastic. The A.I rocks too, though the game is run on scripts.. Just play through the same level a couple of times to see that.

The smoke effects made my pants explode :)

Posted by Darkbackward

The AI is horribly scripted, on all levels of difficulty, That is the most dissapionting feature.

Also note that infinity ward promised us vast levels that were affected by the human hand, this is a blatant lie and we are treated to endless scripting. Quite a dissapointment.

Like I said, fo rpeople who have neve rplayed, an easy 10/10. But as a sequel it is only above average, 7/10.

Posted by Random

Call of Duty 2>Call of Duty... Have to say it's true. I mean for me. All a matter of opinion but the first one didn't open my eyes, the second one did.

Posted by smileitsdeath

Call of Duty 2 was a joy in some parts to play, but in others it felt like work(just like all of Doom 3). One thing that the second one got right is the multiplayer, which is amazing. My last Lan was one of the best I have ever had, it might not be as good as Call of Duty, but is still a great game and should be bought by anyone who enjoys PC gaming.

Posted by KoH

I agree with Random. CoD2 was awesome. I agree with you though as far as the healing bit, where you simply regenerate health by hiding. Really gay, but then again, in multi-player I've noticed that it's easier to kill guys. So, yeah.