SOCOM 3 - Your Thoughts

Posted by Black_Wolf

[COLOR="Black"]I've been a fan of the series since it came out so I was enthused about the new one. But I was swiftly disappointed. All in all, SOCOM isn't a terrible game, but it doesn't raise the bar. And I think that 3 games into a series, there definetly needs to be some innovation. There is some new things that I like, but I think SOCOM II did things alot better.

The streamlined feature of commanding Bravo Squad is a good idea, but the execution of is poor. The only thing I can tell them to do is breach a room, but there aren't many opportunities to do that. In fact, I think Bravo is a pain the ass altogether. They don't actually do anything except wait behind Specter and maybe shoot someone that comes across the team.

The new vehicel system is much needed b/c the amount of stealth involved in the series can bog it down. Much more fun to jump in a vehicle and run on over to the next check point. But it is also not done very well. It's like the most basic driving system that Zipper could have possibly implemented. None of your teammates can shoot their weapons out of the vehicle which is something that should prolly be in a war game. It's the little things like that that make the game so average. I mean, whenever you mount a vehicle, you just appear in it. You don't open the door or anything. Really, what would it have taken to put in a couple more frames to make the game more life like. And the camera is really weird w/ the vehicle. I can manage it fine, but they could have done a lot better w/ it.

The other lacking thing is the enemy A.I. I haven't turned up the difficutly on the game yet, but on regular, the A.I. is aweful. They just stand there. I think I've come close to dying only once since I've been playing.

Overall, the game doesn't do anything I haven't seen before. It's not hard, it's pretty bland, and I think the graphics are dumbed down since the second one. Yer thoughts?

[/COLOR]