The CORRECT Shedinja.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Shedinja:

He's definitly an UU pokemon, due to... Well everything in OU counters it to hell. If you are going to use this thing in UU you have to have the right moveset. I create this thread because everyone and their cat thinks Swords Dance Shedinja is good. No. BAD. See here, everyone:

Shedinja should have Toxic over Swords Dance every time. I use him to absorb something harmful, then use Toxic. Swords Dance is pretty useless due to his terrible Speed, and your opponent is always going to switch to a counter.

Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Bug]/Silver Wind
- Protect/Thief

Toxic the switch-in, Protect to know what move they're going to use (and prolong Toxic), then switch in something that can take that hit. If not Protect, you can Thief the switch-in. If you're playing on Netbattle (or if you happen to come accross one in the console game), make sure to have Lum Berry on this guy, because even Toxic will send Shedinja to the doctor's office.

Let me simplify this:

Shedinja is a pokemon with only 1 HP. On the positive, he has an ability called "Wonder Guard", which allows only "Super Efective" hits to do damage. The problem is, is that every attack in the world does at least 1 damage, meaning that if Shedinja takes a Super Effective to the brain, he faints.

Now, if I had Swords Dance (Which is a move that "ups" your Attack stat):

SHEDINJA used SWORDS DANCE!
SHEDINJA's ATTACK greatly increased!
----------------------
Opponent withdrew BLASTOISE!
Opponent sent out CHARIZARD!

Now, Charizard most likely has a fire move (Shedinja is a Bug pokemon. Charizard is a Fire. Bug is weak to fire, meaning that Charizard is going to use a fire move on Shedinja for a OHKO). So Shedinja's Attack stat is sky-high, but Charizard is fast. Shedinja is slow, meaning that Charizard is going to get the first hit on Shedinja, which spels certain death.

BOTTOM LINE:

[SIZE=6]NO SWORDS DANCE ON SHEDINJA [/SIZE]

Thank-you for your time.

Posted by GameMiestro

You know, a Skarmory can KO an entire team of lv. 100 Shedingas in 2 attacks?

Posted by Zeta

But Shedinja isn't protected against weather moves like Sandstorm. So if someone has a Tyranitar out or something you can say 'Bye-bye Shedinja.'. So Wonder Guard isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Posted by cool gamer dad

lol :cool:

[quote=Zeta]But Shedinja isn't protected against weather moves like Sandstorm. So if someone has a Tyranitar out or something you can say 'Bye-bye Shedinja.'. So Wonder Guard isn't all it's cracked up to be.
TTar isn't UU.

[quote=GameMiestro]You know, a Skarmory can KO an entire team of lv. 100 Shedingas in 2 attacks?
Skarm isn't UU.

Precicely why he is confined to UU.

But yes, Sandstorm and Spikes are definitly problems for Shedinja. Luckily enough, there are not many good Spikers in UU for it to be a problem (and there's Rapid Spin to get rid of them). Sandstorm is usually a waste of a turn (unless it's automatic, of course). Not many UU teams carry a Shedinja counter because you'll only see it in around 10-15% of serious UU teams.

Most find that a simple Shadow Ball does the trick, which it does. Shadow Ball is probably the most common move they'll send in on your Shedinja, making it easy for you to predict. If you sense it coming, switch to a Normal. :)

Posted by Zeta

I have no idea what UU means. Of course, I haven't played R/S/E, so that's probably to be expected. In fact, the only reason I know about this Shedinja is because some trainers use it in Pokemon Colosseum, and the thing totally baffled me, with all the missing attacks and all.

So, what's UU? I'm going to try and get back into the Pokemon franchise with the release of Diamond/Pearl, so I suppose I better know these things.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Sorry about that. :(

UU means Under Used. Here is a list of Under Used pokemon. You can consider everything else besides pokemon like Kyogre, Mewtwo, Deoxys, etc. OU (Over Used). Basicly, all UU pokemon stay in their own scene. UU battles will feature UU pokemon only (Which is how I play).

UU Pokemon:

Absol
Aggron
Aipom
Altaria
Ampharos
Arbok
Ariados
Azumarill
Banette
Beautifly
Beedrill
Bellosom
Blastoise
Butterfree
Cacturne
Camerupt
Castform
Charizard
Chimecho
Claydol
Clefable
Cloyster
Corsola
Cradily
Crawdaunt
Crobat
Delcatty
Delibird
Dewgong
Ditto
Dunsparce
Dustox
Electabuzz
Electrode
Exploud
Farfetch'd
Fearow
Feraligator
Flareon
Furret
Gardevoir
Girafarig
Glalie
Gligar
Golduck
Golem
Gorebyss
Granbull
Grumpig
Hariyama
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Huntail
Hypno
Illumise
Jumpfluff
Jynx
Kabutops
Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Kingler
Lanturn
Ledian
Lickitung
Linoone
Lunatone
Luvdisc
Machamp
Magcargo
Magmar
Manteric
Mantine
Masquerain
Mawile
Meganium
Mightyena
Minun
Misdreavus
Mr Mime
Muk
Mukrow
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Ninetales
Noctowl
Nosepass
Octillery
Omastar
Parasect
Pelipper
Persian
Pidgeot
Piloswine
Pinsir
Plusle
Politoed
Poliwrath
Primeape
Quagsire
Qwilfish
Raichu
Rapidash
Raticate
Rhydon
Roselia
Sableye
Sandslash
Scyther
Seaking
Sharpedo
Shedinja
Shiftry
Shuckle
Slowbro
Slowking
Sneasel
Solrock
Stantler
Sudowoodo
Sunflora
Swalot
Tangela
Tentacruel
Togetic
Tropius
Typhlosion
Unown
Ursaring
Venomoth
Victreebell
Vileplume
Volbeat
Wailord
Walrein
Whiscash
Wigglytuff
Xatu
Yanma
Zangoose

Posted by Zeta

Heh, I guess I don't have to worry about that; all the Pokemon in my intended LeafGreen team are UU. Thanks! ^^

EDIT: Oh, I guess Gengars not on the list. oO

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Zeta]Heh, I guess I don't have to worry about that; all the Pokemon in my intended LeafGreen team are UU. Thanks! ^^
np

And that's a good sign.

Posted by GameMiestro

Venasaur is not on the list, but Lanturn is? Who made that list?

Posted by cool gamer dad

Pomemon masters everywhere. Venusaur is a whore of a pokemon if played right. Lanturn is what you would call "boarderline" underused, where he/she is used a lot, but the stats are just not god enough for the OU environment.

Charizard is UU due to his typing. Blastoise is just bad. : /

Posted by GameMiestro

Seeing as how you like Shedinja, I'll give you a random fact of the day- Shedinja and Ninjask are the toughest Pokemon cards ever made. Period.

Posted by Flounder

you know what GameMestro..NO! stinger is always right..never wrong
. he is a true pokemon master!

my uu team
sneasel
shedinja
electa buzz
tropius
quilwfish
mawile

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Flounder]you know what GameMestro..NO! stinger is always right..never wrong
. he is a true pokemon master!

my uu team
sneasel
shedinja
electa buzz
tropius
quilwfish
mawile
As much as I love you for saying that, no. There's waaaay better players than me, and I learn most of what I know from super experts. I'll help you with a team, though.

Sneasel = Good, but not obtainable in Fire Red. I have to give you one from Leaf Green.
Shedinja = Good, but not obtainable in Fire Red.
Electabuzz = Good. Found in the Power Plant.
Tropius = Bad. He's not even in Fire Red.
Qwilfish = Good. A decent UU.

The pokemon in bold are the only ones you'll be able to obtain without my help. If you want movesets for these guys:

[URL="http://www.smogon.com"]http://www.smogon.com[/URL]

Just go here. I couldn't be bothered to type movesets. And stop stealing pokemon from my UU netbattle team lol :mad:

[quote=Zeta]Heh, I guess I don't have to worry about that; all the Pokemon in my intended LeafGreen team are UU. Thanks! ^^

EDIT: Oh, I guess Gengars not on the list. oO
If you wanted a UU alternative Ghost pokemon, look into Misdreavus. The main purpse of ghosts is to absorb physical hits (that don't effect ghosts). If you don't like Misdreavus, then any Rock or Steel type would do.

------------------------------
EDIT:

For Netbattle users, I was also suggested to consider Choice Band Shedinja:

Shedinja @ Choice Band
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Shadow Ball
- Silver Wind
- HP Fighting
- Aerial Ace

Posted by Flounder

ya to tell you the truth i made that list from looking at the uu chart and picking cool sounding pokemon..except for shedinja and sneasel those i got from you 8)

anyways how would i get them (the non obtianable)..would you send them to me from your other pokemon gamesor what?

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yes, I'd have to send you crap from both my Leaf Green and Sapphire/Ruby versions. Let's see what you've got here so far:

Well, what I suggest:

Electabuzz or Jynx (Special Sweeper)
Charizard (Belly Drum Sweep)
Hypno (Special Sponge)
Cloyster (Physical Sponge)
Fearow (Fighting Resist)
Primeape (Physical Sweeper)

It looks pretty balenced. Remember, you want Fearow (Spearow evolution) and Primeape (Mankey evoluton) on your UU team because you're currently training them. Especially Charizard, because it's always handy to have a UU starter such as him/her.

If you need help with movesets:
[URL="http://www.smogon.com"]http://www.smogon.com[/URL]

If you need help finding the pokemon or any ingame related subject:
[URL="http://www.serebii.net"]http://www.serebii.net[/URL]

Posted by GameMiestro

I like using a Girafarig and Lanturn combo with Baton Pass. It really does work, and very amusing to see my opponents reactions...

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=GameMiestro]I like using a Girafarig and Lanturn combo with Baton Pass. It really does work, and very amusing to see my opponents reactions...
CM, or Agility?

Lanturn's Speed just doesn't cut it for sweeping, so CM might be out of the picture. And of course, anything with a physical attack owns it. :(

Spider Web Ariados baton passing to Shedinja is also pimp.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Listen when battling, if your opponent uses a Shedinja or not, it really doesn't matter so long as you have a super effective move that can KO it. Shedinja to me really isn't all that great for serious competitive battling. You see, when I cable/wireless battle in serious competition matches with other people, I carry Pokemon that are fit to battle almost every type out there. So if one uses a Shedinja, most likely I will have a Pokemon in my party that knows a Ghost or Dark move that can easily take it out. Fire Pokemon can clean out any Bug or grass types, sometimes some Poison types depening on their second type. So a Fire Pokemon is always good to have. Taht is jsut one type that is good to have in a party so that if anyone pulls out a Pokemon with which a Fire has the advantage you can easily switch them out and wipe out that Pokemon. Now it's not the end of the world if you don't choose to use a fire type, but it would be wise to have a Pokemon that knows a good fire move such as Fire Blast, Heat Wave, or Flame Thrower.

Now Dark Types are also good to have in one's party or a Pokemon that knows a ghost or Dark move. Darks have the advantage over Psychics and a few others. A good suggestion would be to carry a Psychic or Dark type Pokemon that knwos both Dark and Psychic moves. What do I mean? Well when I evolved my Eevee into an Espeon I kept Bite since it is a Dark move. You never know when that will be handy. Now I haven't experimented with trying to breed one that knows Crunch yet, but I am sure it is possable and an even better alternative to Bite. Now you could also Choose to use an Umbreon that knows Psychic by using a TM. I wouldn't recomend it considering that in most cases Umbreon seems to be weaker than an Espeon. So a good play would to use an Espeon that knows a Dark move. Now you don't ahve to use this combo, but try and find one that soots you as a competitive battler.

Mixing and matching moves to make an ultimate team like that pays off in the end as you will have strengths of that Pokemon and strengths of another type for tactical purposes. For example my Swampert isn't limited ot just Water based moves. It also knows a ground move since it is also a ground type and Ice Moves incase I run into a Pokemon that can be taken out with an Ice attack. Also, keep in mind some one hit KO attacks when battling. Sheer cold may not be a good move to use type wise on a Pokemon that isn't affected by Ice moves, but sicne it is a one-hit-KO attack, it will take that Pokemon out in an instant if the move hits. Knowing to combine powerful moves like that and combine some different type moves with the Pokemon you have can really come in handy in battle. So if you have a Pokemon the trainer seems to think doesn't know a ghost or dark move and whips out a Shedinja, you can easily demolish it if you ahve one tucked away in your move set. This is an advantage seeing as it serves as a surprise attack if the trainer only thinks your Pokemon know moves that confined to its type. And since Shedinja only has 1 hp or so, it is not much of a big threat.

Posted by cool gamer dad

The point of Shedinja isn't to sweep the other team; Shedinja is a sponge. You see, if I have a Normal type in conjunction with Shedinja, I can switch to the Normal when I know the Shadow Ball is coming. On my UU team, Shedinja is my way of being able to effectively and efficiently switch-in and switch-out and get to the pokemon I need without taking damage.

Two of the most common Shedinja-killing attacks are Shadow Ball and Rock Slide. If I keep a couple of UU pokemon on my team that can absorb these attacks (Steelix, Golem, Sneasel, [any normal type]), I'm good to go.

On the subject of Shedinja-specializing pokemon, people rarely do this as he is (even in UU) a rare pokemon to come by. Most serious UU teams are much more based around heavy hitters like Electabuzz and not specific counters like in OU (where you HAVE to counter pokemon) such as a skarmbliss counter. But let's look at it this way: If my opponent has an unpredictable counter, I've got Protect so you know what to switch in. But really... I know when my opponent has or doesn't have a Shedinja-killing move (I know every standard UU moveset).

I don't know what the rest of your long post was about, but if you're arguing Shedinja's usefulness in the UU metagame: Make a UU team and see you on Netbattle.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Stinger]CM, or Agility?

Lanturn's Speed just doesn't cut it for sweeping, so CM might be out of the picture. And of course, anything with a physical attack owns it. :(

Spider Web Ariados baton passing to Shedinja is also pimp.

I use both CM and Agility. I have yet to see a physical attack own my Lanturn, maybe my Laturn just has really high stats. I've beaten entire teams just using my Laturn.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=GameMiestro]maybe my Laturn just has really high stats.
That's probably the case, as EVs make much more of a difference in-game. Unless you're using it against a special trainer, then it wouldn't matter at all what the EVs are (and wouldn't have to worry about going first). :cool:

Lanturn rapes.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Stinger]EV

You're using Pokemon terminoligy again.

Posted by Zeta

Oh! I've heard about that! EV stands for Effort Value, right? Something about stats or somethin'...

Posted by cool gamer dad

Correct.

[quote=GameMiestro]You're using Pokemon terminoligy again.
Effort Points will be added to your main stats whenever you win a battle. Different pokemon give different Effort Points ("EV"s). If your pokemon kills a lot of pokemon that give Special Attack, then your pokemon's special attack will recieve a boost over time.

See: [URL="http://serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml"]http://serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml[/URL]

Posted by Zeta

Got through reading the EV thing. The Pokemon games are more complicated than I thought they are. At least I know the Macho Brace does something now. Perhaps it would be a good idea to restart my team and try the Effort Value stuff.

Posted by GameMiestro

Yes, I've heard about that. Waste of time to me, just max them out on Elixers, Irons, ect.

Posted by cool gamer dad

The thing is, is that your pokemon already have random EVs on them. You can't delete them, either. :(

Posted by Zeta

But if I breed them don't the babies start with zero EV?

Posted by cool gamer dad

That is probably your best bet. Yes, they do start with 0 EVs.

Posted by GameMiestro

Once again, there is another pointless feature in the world of Pokemon. If you want a specific stat boost, just catch a bunch of one type of pokemon,an choose the best out of the group.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Before adding EVs to Special Attack:

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/stingerishere/beforeev.jpg[/IMG]

After adding EVs to Special Attack:

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/stingerishere/afterev.jpg[/IMG]

Now tell me EVs don't matter. :(

Posted by Flounder

they dont matter...

okay i lied just get off my case
why is it seem like every battle there is a metagross..****es me off because i am a noob and dont know how to counter :(

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Flounder]they dont matter...

okay i lied just get off my case
why is it seem like every battle there is a metagross..****es me off because i am a noob and dont know how to counter :(
Metagross is a fag. Don't trip about it... There's not many UU pokemon that can counter a Metagross (except Forretress if you consider him UU). I usually have to sacrifice a few pokemon before it dies. Toxic doesn't effect him because he's Steel.

He's a staple OU pokemon.

Posted by Flounder

more like a paperclip pokemon...am i right guys?

lol good skit pumas 8)

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Flounder]more like a paperclip pokemon...
No. See [URL="http://smogon.com/dex.php?page=pokemon&q=luvdisc"]Luvdisc[/URL].

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Stinger]Before adding EVs to Special Attack:

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/stingerishere/beforeev.jpg[/IMG]

After adding EVs to Special Attack:

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/stingerishere/afterev.jpg[/IMG]

Now tell me EVs don't matter. :(

That isn't a Gameboy game, so those numbers are meaningless. Unless, of course, you sim everything, which is not very helpful to me.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=GameMiestro]That isn't a Gameboy game, so those numbers are meaningless. Unless, of course, you sim everything, which is not very helpful to me.
That is pokemon Netbattle. EVs are the exact same in both the console game and the computer game. The image I have provided is about as basic as I can make it. From zero EVs to max EVs in SpA, there is a 69 point difference (Approx. every 4 EVs gives an extra stat point). Now say you were to battle whatever came your way... You'd probably rack up around 85 SpA EVs.

85/4 = 21.25 extra points

A mere 21 points whereas you could have 69 extra with the correct EVs.

Needless to say, an EV trained team would undoubtably rape a non-EV trained team.