On "Intellegent" Design

Posted by Arwon

"The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored.

In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference."

-Biologist Richard Dawkins

Posted by sabre

I seem to be seeing Richard Dawkins everywhere, now.

He sure can phrase something pretty gloomily. But, we wouldn't know what a g[b][/b]od was trying to achieve - even if we take the Christian G[b][/b]od as an example then we don't know that this wasn't part of his plan or anything, there are so many reconciliations for suffering and a Christian G[b][/b]od. It's not something you can argue for or against convincingly; I don't really consider his words to be anything even close to unarguable, nor do I consider them anything nobody's already said before.

Posted by Ant

What's so amazing about that statement exactly?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

lemme guess, this fruit is considered some type of expert, amiright?

Posted by The Judge

Like Sabredog said, we can't know God's design, as mortal minds wouldn't be able to comprehend it.

And even without a God, this is bullcrap. Everything has a purpose, and everything lives and dies for a purpose. It's no one's fault but his that he's too short-sighted to see what the purposes are.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: lemme guess, this fruit is considered some type of expert, amiright?

Yeah, he's published several books regarding different aspects of evolutionary theories, including The Blind Watchmaker, Unweaving The Rainbow and The Selfish Gene. http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/WorldOfDawkins-archive/index.shtml

Posted by Lord of Spam

Theres nothing intelligent about intelligent design.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Lord of Spam]Theres nothing intelligent about intelligent design.

There's just as little thinking in Dawkins theory. Why do we really care about this, anyway? It's no more useful then questioning which came first- the the chicken or the egg.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Lord of Spam: Theres nothing intelligent about intelligent design.

Though your wordplay is indeed quite witty, it has no standing. Care to explain?

Posted by Lord of Spam

I thought it was pretty obvious that I find religion a complete waste of time.

Posted by GameMiestro

"Intelligent design" does not equate to "religion". Intelligent design was created by people who clearly misenterpreted the Bible's meaning and preached the exact thing the Bible was trying to prevent.

On the other hand, a "random universe" defies it's own scientific theories, and has absolutely no proof against the common arguments against it. For example- if everything is random, isn't it possible that his theory is just a random spark of falsehood that randomly came into his head?

I prefer the multidimensional approach- that what is material on one level is lifeless and uncertain, and what is spiritual is life and defined. Imagine the spiritual level like you would if you were blind and trying to imagine colors- it seems impossible, but is perfectly real.

Posted by Arwon

[quote]For example- if everything is random, isn't it possible that his theory is just a random spark of falsehood that randomly came into his head?

Take this in a constructive manner, but that's one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Anyways, what exactly *is* it about the fundamental structure of the universe that makes people think there's any underlying design to it? If it is designed it was a pretty slapdash piece of work. Inefficient energy transferrence means ever increasing entropy which is an essentially terminal design flaw. (If there's no big crunch eventually we'll have [url=http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=911255]Heat Death of the Universe[/url]). Nature is unavoidably cruel and full of things like asteroids, parasites and [url=http://www.asylumeclectica.com/malady/archives/harlequin.htm]Harlequin babies[/url], life is stupidly fragile, blinkingly brief and full of tragedy, and so forth.

If it's all random then these are acceptable because hey, it's pretty wonderous that we're here at all... but if it was designed this is all pretty unforgivable.

Posted by sniper

Intelligent design is nothing but assumptions based on ignorance... total crap. :/

Posted by Ant

Quoting sniper: Intelligent design is nothing but assumptions based on ignorance... total crap. :/

Makes more sense then the orginal idea of Christanty...but that's just me.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog: Yeah, he's published several books regarding different aspects of evolutionary theories, including The Blind Watchmaker, Unweaving The Rainbow and The Selfish Gene. http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/WorldOfDawkins-archive/index.shtml

You've so badly been reading Frameshift lyrics.

[quote=Ant]Makes more sense then the orginal idea of Christanty...but that's just me.
Pretty much all religion is just random man-made inventions that some blind optimists happened to believe and spread. The whole "intelligent design ad infinitum" thing really doesn't answer any questions either. If a God/group of retarded scientists wanted their creations to believe in them, why would they let other religions propagate and spread? So people would believe lies? How smart.

The way intelligent design theories have been promoted for "study" in schools is just stupid though. I read some random article quoting a pro-intelligent design n00b as saying "we should teach both theories in schools". Both? How many religions are there in the world? As one religion has about as much objective proof as any other, that suggests that schools should teach every single religion ever invented, including of course Flying Spaghetti Monsterism (which at least has the pirates-global warming link) and the random "fallen angel" thing that Sean Fury made up.

Objective statements based on logical conjecture are teh cool.

Posted by Arwon

If you're gonn believe in creationism go ahead and do it. It's wrong, but hey, that's faith for you and that's cool. But the moment you try to use pseudo-science to dress up your faith and legitimise and rationalise it, this confuses and muddies the waters of real science, then it gets stupid.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Arwon]It's wrong

Now that this is all agreed on, mind explaining what ideas you happen to have on the creation of the universe?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Arwon][URL="http://www.asylumeclectica.com/malady/archives/harlequin.htm"]Harlequin babies[/URL]

THAT SHOULD CARRY A BLOODY WARNING.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting GameMiestro: Now that this is all agreed on, mind explaining what ideas you happen to have on the creation of the universe?

Scientist: "Fine, believe whatever you want. The world was created ten thousand years ago and it took a week, and natural selection does not happen. Now can you please let me get back to dating these rocks and/or breeding specific strains of bacteria for medical purposes?"

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I worry more about whether or not my farts stink enough than how the universe was created

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Arwon]Scientist: "Fine, believe whatever you want. The world was created ten thousand years ago and it took a week, and natural selection does not happen. Now can you please let me get back to dating these rocks and/or breeding specific strains of bacteria for medical purposes?"

Isn't life grand?

Posted by Pikamon

[quote]Scientist: "Fine, believe whatever you want. The world was created ten thousand years ago and it took a week, and natural selection does not happen. Now can you please let me get back to dating these rocks and/or breeding specific strains of bacteria for medical purposes?"

http://www.geraldschroeder.com/age.html

Posted by Acheron

Many of the more hard-line sects of Christianity don't even believe in ID, such as [URL="http://science.slashdot.org/science/05/11/07/1526216.shtml?tid=99&tid=14"]Catholics[/URL].

As has been said, don't equate this malarky with religious people in general.

Posted by Arwon

Catholics learned their lesson about science back in the day of Galileo. The church has, for some time, deferred to science on scientific issues.

Funny that.

Also I object to the characterisations of catholics as a "hardline sect".

Posted by Acheron

Not nearly as hardline as many, but still fairly conservative. I'm a Catholic myself, and fairly devout. "Hardline" doesn't necessarily equate to Bible-thumping lunatics who picket gay funerals.

Thoooouuuugh... I could have chose a better word. Yes.

Posted by Arwon

How about "differently crazy"? (I'm kinda sorta catholic. Well, culturally catholic, an atheist who identifies with the church to some extent)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

actually, Catholicism is pretty liberal

Posted by Speedfreak

Contraceptives are not allowed, homosexuality is unnatural = liberal?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Dont forget about how all non-catholics are going to hell!

Posted by Arwon

Archaic Catholic dogma != average lay-catholic practise.

Honestly, we've been through this.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm just going by what the Pope said. I figure is he says contraception is wrong then that's what the whole of catholicism's (sp?) stance is.

Posted by Arwon

See, a great many catholics don't even really "go by what the pope said" all the time. That's kinda the odd beauty of the whole weird religion.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Isnt what ever he says while on the chair of Saint Peter considered to have the effect of the word of god or some such nonesense?

Posted by Speedfreak

Well if we can't go by the leader of the religion, who the heck can we go by?

Posted by Lord of Spam

[url=http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/raptorjesus-36752.jpg]I think we all know how the real man upstairs is.[/url]

Posted by GameMiestro

Hah. NonExistent_One should have that in his sig.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Thanks a lot, thread killer.

Posted by misogenie

[COLOR="Wheat"]I think the Bible is an encryptic puzzle book. The answer to this mystery could be right under our noses. Someone could load the Bible on to the computer, and by using some mathematical equation, find each letter from a common sequence that would join each other to make a word, and each word in their order would make a sentence. Maybe God doesn't want anybody to solve the Bible, until Jesus returns in his Second Coming - only
he can tell us this hidden secret. [/COLOR]

Posted by The Judge

Have you ever read the bible? It's pretty straightforward.

You know, like that thing that says "never interpret the bible, only follow what it says, and never change the bible in any way."

Nice shot, King James and every idiot revisionist after him. You'll bring ****ation to us all.

Posted by Lord of Spam

the bible has been getting raped since the Nicean councle, it isnt anything new.

Edit: Fei, clerification, please.

Posted by The Judge

Which means that everyone who interprets the bible to it's fullest extent nowadays is, by its own original words, a sinner, or at least misguided. Since I doubt the original version of the bible still exists, true faith (for the Christians at least), seems like it would be almost impossible to ascertain. That means they'd have to make due with the 10 commandments, which have not been changed, and possibly the extensions of the bible, such as the Book of Revelations, which still have the same content. After all, the biggest edits seem to be only reserved for the main book.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Even the commandments are open to interpretation. Changing it from "do no murder" to "thall shall not kill" makes a rather large difference. One allows "justified" killing, the other allows none. And yes, I have seen it presented both ways.

Posted by The Judge

What I meant is that the Ten Commandments hadn't been changed over time to the point where we're unsure of it's original content.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Uh, yes, we are. Read above. It depends on how you interpret it, which means that we dont know for sure. If we did know for sure, there would be no "I think it means this." You would be able to point to some sort of solid evidence and say to anyone who disagrees with you "you are wrong, and here is why."