Least Fav Controler

Posted by Lord of Spam

Which system has had your least favourite controller? Simple enough, so post.

Mine is N64. Terrible controller. Three prongs, wtf? I've only got two hands.

Posted by Zeta

XBox's.

Whenever I play it I can't find the black, white, start, and select buttons without looking at the controller, which usually gets me screwed.

Posted by Fate

Holy **** on a stick--! Nobody can forget about the horrible N64 layout. Godawful and uncomfortable.

Posted by Ch

I LOVED the N64 controller :(

Ooh. This is a tough one. It would have to be a tie between the XBox and NES. XBox is too big and the buttons are in an awkward place for me and the NES controller is way to rectangular and uncomfortable.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I'm going to have to go with the N64 controller. Like Lord of Spam said, I hated the 3 prongs.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I actually really liked the N64 controller. The shape was odd, but the analog stick in the middle and the Z trigger in the back were perfect for aiming/shooting in Goldeneye and locking onto monsters in Zelda.

I'll never forget the first time i had the N64 controller in my hands. I held the left prong with my left hand and the the right prong with my right hand, then i tried to stretch my left thumb as far as possible to reach the analog stick. It was actually kinda painful, and i played that way for about 15 minutes before i realized the right way to hold the controller :eek:.

So far, my least favorite controllers have been the Dreamcast and original Xbox controller.[/COLOR]

Posted by Prince Redon

I agree, I like the N64 controller, but yeah most people I talk to hates it.

My least favorite...The original X-box controller. It was huge, and uncomfortable. How when they came out with a smaller version it was my favorite, but before then...

Well I guess it's a tie then...It's between the original x-box controller, and the Sega 6 button Arcade Stick. I never could get used to that thing...And most havn't even heard of it...I own one but I hate it.

Posted by KMFDM

As big as a Nintedo fan boy as I am I'v always hated their controllers ( GC N64 ). My hands never seem to find their place on them. Same with the XBox's first controller that thing was a ***** to use.

Posted by Dexter

The biggest complaint I have against the Nintendo 64 controller was how easy it got dirty and needed to get cleaned up. Dust or whatever would make its way underneath or around the stick and cause difficulty in moving efficiently. Are there any secrets to stopping this from transpiring or cleaning it thoroughly once it does? It would be nice to have my old controllers working like they were brand new.

Posted by Crazy K

Probably the Xbox Controller. I dont have a major problem with it, I can use it easy, I just dont like it to much. I really dont have a big Problem with any controllers. I just dont like the big size of the Xbox controller.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Oh god, almost forgot about the NES controllers. HELLO THERE, HARD PLASTIC EDGES!

Posted by Dexter

The NES controller was superb. It were small, comfortable, and simple. It is difficult to be intimidated by the NES controller. Also, they were incredibly difficult to break. You could throw them around all day, for amusement or out of frustration, and the probability of them breaking would be very small. You try throwing an Xbox controller around and an NES controller around and see which one lasts longer. My money's on the NES.

Posted by Crazy K

I never minded the NES controller. I never had a problem with it, Most Of the time I would always have one that was broke, and would have to search for the one that worked, but I never minded the NES controller, its a classic controller and always will be.

Posted by Zeta

I have one complaint about the DS controls: Soft Resets are annoying to do when playing GBA games on it. :( Thank god DS games use L and R instead of Start and Select.

Posted by Axis

Mine would be the Dreamcast controller or the Duke for Xbox. God that thing was massive.

Posted by maian

Probably a tie between PS2's and N64's, for completely different reasons. In truth, I loved the N64 controller to death, but it could get very inconvienent. Not because of the three prongs, because the joystick. It was a great joystick, and very functional, but once it starts to get loose, it can get really annoying playing with it. All my N64 controllers have very loose joysticks now, save for one, which I have to duct tape into the N64 because the connector is broken. >_<

I just..don't really like the PS2's. Aside from the fact that they put no effort into making the prongs comfortable, it's just plain annoying to use. The traditional spot for a joystick is replaced by a seldom used D-Pad. It's annoying having to control the games from the bottom of the controller >_> Those are the main reasons I dislike the PS2 controller. Sometimes the substitution of shapes rather then letters is annoying sometimes, and sometimes the double shoulder buttons, but it's mainly just comfort and the placement of the joystick. =/

Posted by Linko_16

I guess if I had to name one, it'd be the X-Box controller. None of them, though, were particularly hard to use.

This is the first time I've heard anyone say they disliked the N64 controller, and I'm not sure why. Yeah, three prongs, but you never had to use more than two at a time. What was the problem?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I actually really liked the N64 controller. The shape was odd, but the analog stick in the middle and the Z trigger in the back were perfect for aiming/shooting in Goldeneye and locking onto monsters in Zelda.

Truth.

Anyways, I'd say the original Xbox controller, the Dreamcast controller, and/or the NES's.

Posted by Big Boss

The NES controller, for one. Playing on that thing now is like asking for arthritis. For a modern choice, the Dreamcast controller is my easy pick. For a system that had a lot of quality 2D fighters, it sure had a crappy controller to go along with it. And, of course, no one can forget the original Xbox controller. It single-handedly prevented me from getting the Xbox altogether when it was the only first-party controller available.

On the other hand, I didn't find the N64 controller uncomfortable when it was used in the "analog stick position." It got uncomfortable when using the d-pad, but few games actually needed it since 2D developers ran away from it.

Posted by ExoXile

The big Xbox one...

Posted by gamer_net

Looks like nobody tried a piece of **** "Mad Catz" ps1 controller. Those things are pieces of junk. The right analog stick doubles for your triangle, square, circle and x buttons (mapped the same way they are on the pad, push up for triangle.... you get the picture) and besides that, it ****s up pretty easily, you can barely touch the left analog stick without it being on and the dam thing goes berserk!! So yea, THIS is my leas favorite controller of all time!

Quoted post: Looks like nobody tried a piece of **** "Mad Catz" ps1 controller. Those things are pieces of junk.

Uh, I wouldn't even count third-part controllers since most are complete ****. So it goes without saying. The point of this thread is to discuss what first-party controller you dislike.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I like the NES controller, but it did get pretty uncomfortable after awhile.

But I'd have to go with the N64 controller, definitely. At first, I hated it so much I didn't bother to give any of the games a chance. I got used to it a bit after awhile, but I still dislike it just the same.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Wow, been awhile since I've posted...but my vote would go like this:

Least Favorite
First XBox Controller - biggest dam[color=black]n
thing I've ever seen. Terrible button placement...can't believe the developers went w/ it in the first place. Thank God for the S Controller

2nd Least Favorite
N64 - dunno, not too terrible bad, but compared to all the others I hate it. It's just that third prong. The design is just weird.

3rd Least Favorite
Dreamcast Controller - I'd say that I actually liked it when I played my DC, but thinking back, it was very awkward. Your hands were in a weird position grasping the circular sides of the thing.

Soon to be Least Favorite
PS3 Controller - That boomerang shape looks dreadful. As far as I'm concerned, the PScontroller is by far the best one ever and I dunnon why they'd change it. I mean, the 360 controller is different, but not by much. Works good. But this new PScontroller has me worried.[/color]

Posted by GameMiestro

As much as I love the DS, I just cannot stand it's control design. It's impossible to use the stylus and press all the buttons at the same time, hence, you have screwed up control schemes like on Nanostray (which, might I add, could have been easily fixed).

Quoted post: As much as I love the DS, I just cannot stand it's control design. It's impossible to use the stylus and press all the buttons at the same time, hence, you have screwed up control schemes like on Nanostray (which, might I add, could have been easily fixed).

That's what your tongue is for.

Posted by GameMiestro

Sometimes, I just touch the screen with my bare hands. I know this isn't recommended, but there's no other way...

[quote=Vampiro]That's what your tongue is for.
Except that.

Quoted post: Sometimes, I just touch the screen with my bare hands. I know this isn't recommended, but there's no other way...

I always use my fingers... assuming it's something simple like tapping for missiles or something like that.

Though I have actually used my tongue for a number of things. Nanostray being a good example. Hey, it works, so why not?

Posted by Lord of Spam

You mean aside from the fact that you are fellating a video game system?

I'm noticing a lot of "I dont get how people dont like the (whatever their favourite system)'s controller. Its not uncomfortable at all once you get used to it. It just seems to me that you shouldnt have to "get used to" a controller. It should just melt into your hands. For me, the PS2 controller does that. I went fron SNES to the ps1 when the analouge controllers came out, and I never once had to get used to it. It just seemed right. The N64 never did that for me. I always had to think about whether I should be holding this prong or that one...

Quoting Dexter: It were small, comfortable, and simple.

Too bad it weren't a well constructed sentence. Dont be me, Dexter. Nobody wants that.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting GameMiestro: As much as I love the DS, I just cannot stand it's control design. It's impossible to use the stylus and press all the buttons at the same time, hence, you have screwed up control schemes like on Nanostray (which, might I add, could have been easily fixed).

To shoot and use the touch screen, just press L. It's already been fixed, just not many people realize it.

I'd have to go with X-box's original (duh). Ugly obese controller.

I don't know, I didn't mind the N64 controller much, but it's obviously not the best.

Posted by maian

...I really don't understand why everyone hates the PS3 controller so much. They haven't changed any of the buttons..or anything. All the changed was the shape of the handles. And chances are, it'll be a lot more comfortable then their current controller. Just doesn't look as good >_>

Quoted post: Just doesn't look as good >_>

Which is about as much as we can go on. Plus, the controls may look the same, but you never know. A lot could have changed.

Posted by Random

Eh well.. I don't think I hate anyone controller. I have complaints about a few. Like the PS1's/PS2's Analogs being inward sucks, the Dreamcast cord being on the bottom, not to mention a poor setup of the dreamcast controller, and I thought the button layout on the Gamecube was fairly bad. Oh and the NES Controller hurt my fingers after a while :-P

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Vamprio]Which is about as much as we can go on. Plus, the controls may look the same, but you never know. A lot could have changed.

Yeah that could be possible. I myself dont like the look of the PS3's controller, but I dont really give a **** about it, as long as it is as good as the PS controller and the Dual Shock controller. I probably would get used to the look of the PS3 controller, but I just hope it works as well as the past controller.

Posted by ExoXile

Looks rather scary though....:(

Posted by Random

Eh i'm not diggin it, but who knows.. It might be rather comfy. In all honesty.. It looks like a Logitech controller I saw once upon a time.

Posted by Crazy K

Just from looking at it, it looks extremely uncomfortable. I can like feel that controller right now and know that it wont be comfortable. Hmm, I dont know, maybe not.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Black_Wolf][COLOR=black]Wow, been awhile since I've posted...but my vote would go like this:

Least Favorite
First XBox Controller - biggest dam[COLOR=black]n[/COLOR] thing I've ever seen. Terrible button placement...can't believe the developers went w/ it in the first place. Thank God for the S Controller
[/COLOR]
Do you play Halo? :O

The Dreamcast controller was pretty screwed-up looking. Other than that, most of them are the same (besides the N64 which I had no problems with).

I'm talking about the standard controllers. Not the crap knock-offs.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

The dual-shock. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The d-pad is where the left analog stick should be. Now that just about every game released uses the left stick for primary control, this is unacceptable. Furthermore, I don't like sony's d-pad design. I want a solid plastic pad that rocks with my thumb movements when I'm trying to execute a double-roll in a 2D fighting game, not seperate directional buttons with a plastic barrier between them.

Posted by Luigi182

Firstly, Prince, Sony's controller was never like that. It was never 4 separate buttons. It's was and still is a single solid piece, only parts of that peice sticks out.

Now, as for least fav's, I always remember strongly disliking Sega's controller. The D-pad was way too chunky and made my hands hurt after extended lengths of play.... Much worse than the NES pad.

The Dreamcast's controller also was terrible, I remember all these great fighting game for the DC and not having a decent pad to pull off bigger moves just greatly sucked.

And then there was the X-Box's big chunky controller. It was so big that the phrase "like manhandling a side of beef to play a game" was more than an apt description of the discomfort encountered. It even sucked for Halo. It wasn't until the controller S came out, that I could play a game on that thing for longer than 30 mins or so.

I'll hold my judgement for next-gen stuff-- they haven't even come out yet.

But I will say that my fav for this gen is the Wavebird controller with the Dual Shock 2 coming in as second. :D

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Luigi182]Firstly, Prince, Sony's controller was never like that. It was never 4 separate buttons. It's was and still is a single solid piece, only parts of that peice sticks out.

Now, as for least fav's, I always remember strongly disliking Sega's controller. The D-pad was way too chunky and made my hands hurt after extended lengths of play.... Much worse than the NES pad.

The Dreamcast's controller also was terrible, I remember all these great fighting game for the DC and not having a decent pad to pull off bigger moves just greatly sucked.

And then there was the X-Box's big chunky controller. It was so big that the phrase "like manhandling a side of beef to play a game" was more than an apt description of the discomfort encountered. It even sucked for Halo. It wasn't until the controller S came out, that I could play a game on that thing for longer than 30 mins or so.

I'll hold my judgement for next-gen stuff-- they haven't even come out yet.

But I will say that my fav for this gen is the Wavebird controller with the Dual Shock 2 coming in as second. :D

What he means in his criticism of Sony's D-pad is that you cannot place your thumb square in the middle of the pad and just rock it. You have to treat each bit like a seperate button. I have no problem with this because I don't tend to play games on PS where needing to be able to rock your thumb is important, like fighting games.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Doing rolls on the dpad isnt that hard after you break it in. Once you ge the intial stiffness out of it, its a breeze.

Quoted post: Now, as for least fav's, I always remember strongly disliking Sega's controller. The D-pad was way too chunky and made my hands hurt after extended lengths of play....

Sega released more than one console, you know that, right?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Lord of Spam: Doing rolls on the dpad isnt that hard after you break it in. Once you ge the intial stiffness out of it, its a breeze.

Disagreement persists. I had a dual shock for some time and the d-pad never got any easier to use. I ended up buying an old playstation 3rd-party d-pad controller.

The Sega Saturn's 3D analog controller that came packaged with NiGHTS had the best d-pad, I say. The thing was practically on a pedastal raised up from the rest of the controller. Awesome.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Lord of Spam: Doing rolls on the dpad isnt that hard after you break it in.

It's actually extremely easy. Easiest place to perform a dragon punch, I say. I hate it how every d-pad today sucks without the directions being separate from each other, though. The Xbox could be the best system for fighting games, with its LIVE 2D fighters, if the d-pad wasn't so horrible. Not even third-party companies make a d-pad similar to Sony's... maybe they have that copyrighted. :(

Posted by Bebop

The NES is awful. It's so uncomforable and broke my hands.

As for this whole "the N64 controller is uncomfortbale to hold", you're obviously retarded becuase it's a very simple controller to hold and play with.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Bebop: The NES is awful. It's so uncomforable and broke my hands.

As for this whole "the N64 controller is uncomfortbale to hold", you're obviously retarded becuase it's a very simple controller to hold and play with.

It really is. It's pretty comfortable, too. Just because it has three prongs doesnt mean its confusing.

I don't like the PS controllers much either; I can never tell what the shapes mean, but that's probably because I never use it much. I like the A-B system, where A is always good or go or whatever and B is always something like back or stop. I wish someone would just be smart enough to design a controller where the second set of Trigger buttons goes where your middle finger rest, instead of butitng them in unnatural places.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Drewboy64]I wish someone would just be smart enough to design a controller where the second set of Trigger buttons goes where your middle finger rest, instead of butitng them in unnatural places.

They already do that (PS2 controller)

Posted by Drewboy64

...No they don't. If you hold a gamecube or x-box controller, your middle finger slips underneath the index finger. That's where the trigger button shoudl be. Instead, you have to use either one finger or use both in a weird way.

Posted by KoH

Yeah, seriously... what the hell were they thinking? It's not just "scary," that mother is intimidating as hell. I have a strong feeling it's gonna feel bizarre in my hands.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm going to laugh my *** off if the Rev ends up sucking, and the PS3 ends up beig one of hte most comfortable controllers ever.

Posted by Luigi182

Quoting Vampiro: Sega released more than one console, you know that, right?

My apologies, I mistakenly forgot to mention I was referring to the Genesis controller. @_@;

Quoted post: Yeah, seriously... what the hell were they thinking? It's not just "scary," that mother is intimidating as hell. I have a strong feeling it's gonna feel bizarre in my hands.

it's a prototype though. Which is why I think no one has had a chance to even play with it. It'll probably look very different by the time it's out.

Because, really, Sony isn't stupid enough to release something like that. Even if it is comfortable as hell, the look alone is enough for people to push that fact aside and not even bother with it.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Lord of Spam: I'm going to laugh my *** off if the Rev ends up sucking, and the PS3 ends up beig one of hte most comfortable controllers ever.

I'm going to laugh when a flying pig bites your head off.
In other words, that would never happen, because Nintendo makes some of the most comfortable controllers out there. And based on the people who have used the Revote, it's really nice.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Let me show you something.

[quote=Me]I'm going to laugh my *** off if the Rev ends up sucking, and the PS3 ends up beig one of hte most comfortable controllers ever.

See what I did there? Its called a hypothetical. It means that I am not saying something WILL happen, but rather that there is, however small it may be, a chance for it to occur.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Lord of Spam: Let me show you something.

See what I did there? Its called a hypothetical. It means that I am not saying something WILL happen, but rather that there is, however small it may be, a chance for it to occur.

My bad. Nevertheless, I would laugh if pigs flew in and bit someone's head off. Then I would run.

Posted by <DEMONHUNTER>

NES controller... uncomfortable.

Posted by Dragner

The first Xbox controler that thing was to big.