Oblivion To Miss 360 lauch, PC version also sees delay

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Gamespot: Although the Xbox 360 goes on sale in just over three weeks, Microsoft still hasn't announced the final day-of launch game lineup for the console. However, gamers can now scratch one of the next-platform's most anticipated titles off their holiday shopping lists.

In a conference call with analysts today, Take-Two Interactive announced that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is being delayed until the second quarter of its next fiscal year, which runs from February to April 2006. While this is still technically within Microsoft's 14-week "launch window" for the Xbox 360, it means that the game will not be on sale when the console arrives in stores on November 22.

Paul Eibeler, Take-Two's President and CEO, said that quality assurance was the reason for the delay. "We are moving the launch of Elder Scrolls IV to our 2nd quarter, based on the Bethesda Softworks requiring additional development time to ensure the title meets gamers' high expectations for this popular franchise," he said. The date change will also affect the PC version of the game, which was slated to ship simultaneously.

The delay is surprising, as an October 6 Reuters report apparently confirmed Oblivion for the Xbox 360 launch. As it was the sole role-playing game for the console slated for release in 2005, it was also featured in many 360 bundles offered by online retailers.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is developed by Bethesda Softworks and is published under Take-Two's 2K Games subbrand. Its delay reduced the number of Take-Two Xbox 360 launch titles to five games: NBA 2K6 , NHL 2K6, Amped 3, Top Spin 2, and College Hoops 2K6.

Well, at least it's not a major delay, since I didn't plan on buying a 360 at launch it doesn't affect me, but for those of you who were looking forward to it as a launch title will have to wait.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Meh, at least they were smart enough to delay it and not have it rushed. Everyone's expecting one hell of an adventure, so if that means it has to be delayed, so be it.

Posted by Mmm.... GOOD!!!

Dec. 6 release date is what I ve Heard and your right i would rather wait 2 wks for it than it come out and have all sorts of bugs in it.

Quoted post: Dec. 6 release date is what I ve Heard and your right i would rather wait 2 wks for it than it come out and have all sorts of bugs in it.

It'll be A LOT longer than just two weeks.

let me see ahh 4 or 5 wks lol w/e thats on me

Quoted post: let me see ahh 4 or 5 wks lol w/e thats on me

Quoted post: "We are moving the launch of Elder Scrolls IV to our 2nd quarter

A lot longer.

hmm well my source was false... I hate that when people make stuff up on the spot.

Posted by Random

Hey aslong as the game is great I don't really care. It's like Zelda Twilight Princess. It sucks horribly that it was delayed because I wanted to have a copy for Christmas time to cozy myself up and play.. But I rather the game be great and delayed, than cruddy and not delayed. Catch my drift? I bet you do. I just act braindead and probably make everyone else Belittled. Nothing personal really..

Posted by Darkbackward

I'm going to lobby right now for the pc version of Oblivion.

Mods and customization. Mods and customization. Think about that when you purchase a 360 version, because Mods and Customization are leaving the building.

Honestly, I cannot see why one would pay extra money to recieve a poorer quality of game. Unless you have a pc that is about as effective as prince shonondrai whining about Sony, it's not worth it.

soooo your saying it sucks?

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Mmm.... GOOD!!!: soooo your saying it sucks?

No, I'm saying why would someone pay extra money to buy a game that isn't as good as something it would cost less to buy it on.

The only reasonable answer would be that it would take more money to upgrade your pc than it would to buy an xbox 360.

The elder scrolls series, however, is a good series and I would expect Oblivion to be good as well.

Yes I see now.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Darkbackward: The only reasonable answer would be that it would take more money to upgrade your pc than it would to buy an xbox 360.

Exactly, I don't have a computer anywhere near capable of running Oblivion and I don't feel like spending a ****load of money upgrading it for one game.

Posted by Axis

I think it's a win-win situation. Now I get a little more time to enjoy my other games that I pre-ordered and they can work on the game even longer to make it better.

Posted by Major Kitty

Yea i have plenty off good games on preorder to keep me busy until it comes out.

Posted by rex-tc

As long as they improve on it and get all of the bugs lined out I can wait. A game of this scope is bound to have tons of bugs and a couple extra months just to polish the game is a good idea.