No one sucks at smash

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I found this comment funny

"no one sucks at smash, they just haven't gotten good yet"

y/n?

Posted by Last Fog

You can apply that theory to any game. And I agree. No matter how bad you are at a game at first, enough practice will make you good.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Of course you can be horrible at smash. That Dark Bulb sure is. ;)

Posted by Crazy K

Yes. I as a matter a fact sucked at it, but thats mainly because I played against people who played the game nonstop. But I think im going to have to play some SSB on my Sisters N64.

Posted by S

It's the same concept as the glass is half full or half empty. Either you suck or you're not experienced enough. Optimistic vs. Pessimistic.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's not like you're born with natural SSB skillz. So obviously the statement is true. Unless you're a retard and can't press buttons in a set combination.

But, any able person can eventually get good at the game. It's just whether they want to put the time into it.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I was born with the glass half empty

The glass is only have empty if you drank from it, or tossed half away. Otherwise it's half full, since it was poured halfway.

Thus, Bulb, you would be born with a half full glass, only to raise the water level, and drop it back down.

That's how I see it, anyways.

Posted by Klarth

I was born with the glass empty.

[quote]You can apply that theory to any game.
You can apply that to anything outside of gaming, too...

Quoted post: You can apply that to anything outside of gaming, too...

No you can't.

No, Klarth.

Just no.

Posted by Klarth

"Nobody sucks at speaking Turkish, they just haven't got good yet"

rite guys?

Are you sassing me? Huh?

"Everybody sucks at flying because their bodies weren't designed to do so".

Posted by DarkBlade

[quote=Vampiro]"Everybody sucks at flying because their bodies weren't designed to do so".
[COLOR=Black]
Its easy to fly, you just have to fall, and miss the ground.

In tournys that statment is false^^
Some people are just bad at the game even many months of practice will not really improve there gameplay. I met a guy who has played the game since its becoming on the GC, yet his best tactics were to roll then smash the back(Cause NO1 can see behind them...) or wait for you to attack then run up and grab, or stand perfectly still and counter when you come near(cause aperently you cant move and counter with roy at the same time I guess...)
The bottem line is he has played for 3 years my apprentice has taught a person in 3 weeks to be better than him.

And whats this "good" level I hear about, whats consitered good and whats consitered bad? Personaly, I hear there are way to many "good" players till they fight me. But there still good aparently, Im just better. So I thought of a way to make my level sound better, titels. Best link of pa, Projectial comboer of the east. junk like that.
I got UmbreonMow to admit there Are good players in pa^^
Quite recently I found that I really do slow play, almost at all times. I just use an extreme range
I can turn 5 minute matches into 20 minutes since I put a wall of prodjectials up, apperently thats my best talent... ?
However take away my air game with a stage or character with the skill to do so and Im just a "good" player.
The defentition after good should represent something the other players dont ushually see, Shieldz and I look like a decent chalage but put us in a vs mode and youl see some fighting styles you didnt know existed. Sheilding arrowns, reflecting all the bomerangs, and grabing bombs. However using this I counter by thrwoging the bomb at the feet or head, using the arrow to let him shield, and throwing bomeranges elsewear and wait for the come around. His Samus is really a Link in armor.
I wount see it as you need to practice to become good. If you played for years and cant think of decent stratigys then your bad consitering, but if your 10 years old and have been playing the game for a few months getting taught by your older bro, and you can l cancle, wavedash and put up perfect combos then your good. I faced a 10 year old kid who seemed to be a pro marth player, If it wernt for the fact that my range puts in another number in the equation, he would have atleast taken off a 2 or 3 stock. But Im sure if I used Gndf he could beat me, His brother javiar(who is best of pa) taught him to be that good at marth seeing he used marth.
He is "good", consitering
Time, experience, knowledge, style, speed, perseption. These are some of the numbers into an equation of "Good"
[COLOR=Red]mmm. this poptart is good..[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I think the whole argument isn't how good or bad someone is anymore. Its how much you put into it is how much you will get. Some people just suck because they need to put more into it than others, but they don't really suck. They just need to put more into it than others, and some only need to put less than others.

As for good players, thats easy to point out. Guys that constantly dominate major tournament events is what I believe is a good player. Decent players are me, where someone dropped the glass and half of it fell out. Poor players just don't care enough or haven't gotten to the decent line yet.

Lastly, once again, some people ARE just bad at a game. But that doesn't make the statement false. Either they have given up and continue to do the same sucky crap or like some others have said, put more into it.

Also, grabbing your cup and filling the cup of others with your holy juice is a great way to do things. Aside from everything you just said, I'm trying to stay away from smash tactics right now completely, and looking at this in a whole different way for smash still.

That statement is only false, if the person is hadicapped in anyway where it would prevent them from doing or achieving something.

Quoted post: where someone dropped the glass and half of it fell out.

That's a pretty precise accident.

Posted by D.J Cat

Hmm, what to say....

I am probably as good as I am going to get unless I play/meet some better players.

And a friend of mine played the game for over a year and only could do smash attacks as a fluke. And he played the game a fair bit (when he as borrowing it from me). We had to sit down and do a training session in versus for half an hour for him to get the hang of it.
Also a lot of the time when he gets/got hit out instead of double jumping and then Up+B he would just press L + R. We told him many times and yeah, I still think he is working on that one.

So some people can play the game for a long time and not improve much, but with some correct training/experience one can get much better.

To be honest I have no idea whatsoever how I would rate against you guys that are apparantly "That **** good" (say in Triple H voice) .
So to be safe I will just assume not as good.

And anyway, I think it is lame saying people "suck" at such and such or whatever.
Like what has been said they either aren't experienced or possibley have potential or maybe they just aren't passionate about it. No need for people to be turds about and say crap like you suck.
Last year at school where we played Unreal Tournament there was this guy who would usually finish in the bottom 3.
People would say he sucked, and so on but I thought he was just inexperienced. Anyway, 18 months later, 6 months of playing UT a few times a week during lunch and he is better then just about all those punk kittens.
And so on.
Hopefully someones can make sense of all that random mishmash I was flipping on about there. :jesse:

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=D.J Cat]I am probably as good as I am going to get unless I play/meet some better players.

So some people can play the game for a long time and not improve much, but with some correct training/experience one can get much better.

To be honest I have no idea whatsoever how I would rate against you guys that are apparantly "That **** good" (say in Triple H voice) .
So to be safe I will just assume not as good.

What you said there is valid. Since the focus of this thing is around smash and not other games (which is why I did put it in here), we can assume that unless you have went to the smash website where all sorts of advanced discussions and guides are on specific characters, and techniques, and video information, it just wouldn't be the people you are playing. You can play the same people every day and you can still improve. You don't even need human players to improve. This is the case for the smasher called Brown Mario in japan. I think he lives far away from the city area, so he just plays alone, and pretty much wrecks ***. Now it isn't just playing and getting the stuff down, I mean everyone plays differently, and so you start to mold your own stratagies to the way other people way so that you can have an easier time beating them, if thats possible.

As for the last thing, take me, dark blade, and cyphus (I say us because we're the only ones who post on this site ;o). We all play at competative levels. I can admit 1) Most of my technique training was done with myself, and later tested in matches with Poison and 2) Playing different people helps finding out things about different characters in the game, and how they can be played. It's not that we are good, its that we all want to be that good... so we keep playing :cool:

Posted by Seres Aran

<< I don't know what to say here... I mean, I don't like to brag about my skills... better to just keep my mouth shut, I guess...

Posted by Arczu

You don't need to brag about anything here.

Compared to what I have seen on the interenet these days, I am not as good in terms of skill, knowledge or even in general. But being unpredictable can make a lot of things change fast. A person putting random input in a fight may do something unexpected or not, but it helps.

If, per se, no one sucks at smash, then maybe what he ment was in genral. Unless you never played it, you can't do bad unless you don't know how to hold a controller. Smash is one of those things that falls into the category "Easy to learn, hard to master". I learned how to play smash in like... 2 minutes how to do everything. If most people were like me, than the term "suck" could not be used anymore.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Arczu][FONT=Times new Roman][SIZE=4]You don't need to brag about anything here.

Compared to what I have seen on the interenet these days, I am not as good in terms of skill, knowledge or even in general. But being unpredictable can make a lot of things change fast. A person putting random input in a fight may do something unexpected or not, but it helps.

If, per se, no one sucks at smash, then maybe what he ment was in genral. Unless you never played it, you can't do bad unless you don't know how to hold a controller. Smash is one of those things that falls into the category "Easy to learn, hard to master". I learned how to play smash in like... 2 minutes how to do everything. If most people were like me, than the term "suck" could not be used anymore.[/SIZE][/FONT]

No, I meant that its not possible to suck, because there is always room for improvement.

Side note, unpredictable or not, that would mean how much effort you put into the game anyway. As for unpredictable, best ways to do it is with characters that are under Link. People tend to get freaked out in a match and not know what to do, thats all part of the other persons skill 8)

Posted by Arczu

Ah... I think I see.

But being unpredictable to throw your opponent off gaurd seems to work very well. Especially people who try to make a parttern out of your moves. Example, my fried is a fox-a-holic. He usually runs at you with a running kick, and when your close: attemps a grab. Since he is very persistant with this, he can be smashed hardcore.

"No onse sucks at smash, they just haven't gotten good yet"... hmm.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Glass? This isn't my glass! My glass was full! AND it was a bigger glass!

I dunno, though, I know that I'll never be as good as some of these people, no matter how much I practice. I do not, however, suck - by any stretch of the imagination. I think that most people, if they put the work in, can get to the level where they can hold their own. But not everyone, of course, can be SMASH GODS.