Whatever happened to capcom being THE fighting game company?

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Remember that? When they were still ontop with such awsime fighting games as Street Fighter, Rival Schools, Power Stone, The Marvel vs. Series, and the Capcom vs. Snk Series? Why is it that Capcom can release 20 Megaman and Resident evil games in a year, and not make Street Fighter 4? I'm seriously getting ****ed off. SNK isnt doing so hot either...with their broken *** fighting systems. Anybody agree with me?

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Just like how Square soft use to be RPG god, but they tripped entering the new age.

But just like Squaresoft, Capcom is still around. But mostly in "Street Fighter versus Anybody with A Chip on Their Shoulder" games.:D

Posted by Linko_16

The problem with Street Fighter now is that Capcom doesn't have anyplace to take it. They must remain faithful to their fans and not change the old characters to make the game new, and all the new characters they've brought in the Street Fighter III and the Alpha series remain generally unpopular. So far they've kept it kicking by matching their classic fighters against new opponents with "verses" titles.

I don't want to see Street Fighter waste away either, but they'll need an inventive solution to actually continue the series.

Posted by Ant

I, perosnally, really really like the Street Fighter III game and characters, and it has a pretty good cult following.

But, they made it in 99 and it didn't get popular here until 2004. Oh well.

In any case, I do agree they need a new fighting game with the street fighter universe. Although, I suppose they should probably let the series die instead of it becoming like Soul Calibur or Tekken which both suck IMO.

Posted by Phoenix Spell

Well, I liked the Street Fighter games alot, I would hate to see it become all rare and ****...But you know what "versus" I'd really like to see?

**Street Fighter vs. Pokemon** (Pikachu would kick Ryu's anus.)

Posted by Linko_16

I had the idea of a Pokemon fighting game a long time ago, but Pokemon's kid appeal would make it very simple, possibly ruining it. It would have to be made very carefully to leave it open to any fighting game player.

Posted by GameMiestro

Its called SSBM...

Posted by Phoenix Spell

Quoting GameMiestro: Its called SSBM...

Oh yes, I'm sorry. I COMPLETELY forgot that there were Street Fighter characters in SSBM... My Bad.

Posted by Linko_16

[quote=GameMiestro]Its called SSBM...

No, really? The most popular and innovative take on fighting games in almost a decade completely escaped me.

I was refering to the thought of a more traditional fighting game based on Pokemon. Though the controls for any such game may turn out as simple as "A," "A+Up," "A+Down," "A+Forward" just like Super Smash Brothers, I'd prefer to keep the 2-D Platforming mechanics sacred. Nintendo's done well not to exploit the series and ruin it, as Capcom has done with Mega Man or Sega's done with Sonic. Besides, that classic Street Fighter feel with Pokemon characters sounds all the more interesting to me.

Secondly, SSBM recieved a "T" rating, which is just a stupid idea for a series like Pokemon. Creating any "E" fighting game would have to be done very carefully.

Posted by Ant

It's fighting...therefore violence...WHICH MAKES KIDS GO CRAZY! BAM...t rating.

Posted by Linko_16

Dumb as that sounds, that's really the only reason; I wouldn't have thought Smash Brothers would be "T." They would have to use some ridiculous excuse to make it more mild, like how Pokemon "faint" when they run out of health instead of getting KO'd or whatever.

Posted by GameMiestro

Or when you lose, you "white out". Resisting putting a stupid joke there.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Or when you lose, you "white out". Resisting putting a stupid joke there.

BUKKAKE

Posted by Jman

Isn't half the problem that the creator of SF has left Capcom? I would think that is a big issue. I didn't even bother playing capcom Fighting Jam cos I heard it was rubbish.
I think that SF III third strike was the climax of the 2d SF series. I mean the old SF II games were good, but once SSF II Turbo came out it was really getting repeatitive. SF III's were good in my eyes, but I think Capcom need to build on third strike... I wasn't too fond of taking SF into the realms of the EX games, it just didn't work.