Desktop help please

Posted by Lord of Spam

i need this accursed little box around all my text to go bye bye. Help please.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/example.jpg]Pic so that you know what I'm talking about.[/url]

Posted by Proto Man

Folow these steps, go into Control Panel, then go into System. In the system window, click the Advanced tab, and click the Settings button for Performance in the upper part of that window. Under that Performance Options window, there will be little check boxes. Scroll down until you see a check box that says Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. Then hit ok for that window, and then hit ok for the System Properties window, and viola, those boxes are gone and all you will have is just the text without the annoying box behind it. :)

Posted by Alastor

On Windows XP that wouldn't be a problem.

Hmm...

I don't know anything right away that would help, but I'd suggest looking around download.com. Lots of nifty desktop stuff there. Until you find a solution, you could just go into Display Properties and change the color to somewhat match your background. That's what I always did.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wait, should the box be checked or no?

Either way, the little devils are still there...

Posted by NegativeTrend

Right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance tab>Check the box that says Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. If it doesn't work after that then your computer is a douche.

Posted by Proto Man

Yeah you want to make sure it's checked in. Or what you can do, there is an option in that same window that says Let Windows choose the best settings for me. Just make sure when your done, you hit APPLY or OK.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Protoman: Just make sure when your done, you hit APPLY or OK.

GEE REALLY I THOUGHT IT DID IT BY ITSELF.

My computer is a douche, apparently. [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/untitled.jpg]Cuz i did what you said AND THE FUGGERS ARE STILL THERE.[/url]

Posted by Proto Man

Check the option that says Let Windows Choose what's best for my computer. If that doesn't work, try Adjust for best appearence. If that doesn't work...

Quoting NegativeTrend: Your computer is a douche.

:(

Posted by KoH

CHANGE YOUR BACKROUND. >:-0

Posted by Trigger

Lord of Spam, [url=http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-137]this website[/url] might be of more help to you than any of the members have been thus far.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I did that. They're still there.

Posted by f4phantom2500

Since your links didn't work for me, I would suggest the following:

right click desktop > properties > appearance tab > change the option under "Windows and buttons" to something else (if you're using the xp theme change to classic, if classic change to xp) > apply > ok

Then do what they said about the drop shadows, see if it changed.

Then go back to the appearance tab and change the theme back to the way you had it and do the drop shadows thing again.

Don't hold your breath, this is just a thought; I haven't encountered your problem before, but I think that if you reset the theme it might work out the little problem with the drop shadows.

You might also want to try going into services (control panel > administrative tools > services) and turning off the themes service then tool around with the drop shadow stuff.

Posted by arctickaypro

make sure active desktop is disabled. sometimes, that will do it. if it's not that, check "lock desktop items". that will do the same thing.

just cycle it on and off and see what happens.

*right click, properties
*desktop, customize desktop
*web