magic

Posted by Nightscare

any one here play magic the gathering? me and my bro rule

Posted by Xenos

I use to play it, but now all of my friends are gone and relatives are off to college. :( It was a fun game though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

no

Pokemon is the only cool card game

Posted by The Judge

I played both Magic and Pokemon.

I forgot how to play both now.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I qualified for Grand Prix via JSS (Odyssey-Invasion Type 2), twice made top 8 in PTQs (Odyssey-Invasion Type 2 and Odyssey Block), placed first at the Onslaught Prerelease, and have won countless local tournies.

Man, I'm so glad I quit. Such a drain on the funds.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Woah, had no idea that skitzo was that hardcore.

I guess I fall into the "used to play" category. Right now I have zero free money, so I cant afford (obviously) to buy any cards. i do try to stay current by reading magicthegathering.com, though. As for you ruling, me and skitzo vs you and your bro in a sealed tag team is guaranteed for us winning.

Back when I did play, that was what I was better at, mostly becuase I didnt hav ehte money to buy the cards I would have needed to paly constructed.

Posted by The Judge

I always used to use primarily black and green decks, with reds and artifacts for power. Man, Plague Wind was an awesome card. Along with all the Wyrms. And I mean a lot of Wyrms. And Zombies.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Why do these threads keep cropping back up every month?

I've never played, although I do own some cards because they just look cool.

Posted by Lord of Spam

ALL HAIL THE LITTLE RED MEN

gobbos ftw

Or, if agressive isnt your style:

Turn one
---------------------

Step 1: Zuran Orb.
Step 2: Bayou
Step 3: Black Lotus
Step 4: Tap Bayou for G
Step 5: Fastbond
Step 6: Sac Lotus for mana (anycolor)
Step 7: Crucible of worlds
Step 8: Sac Bayou for 2 life
Step 9: Play bayou from graveyard with crucible
Step 10: Tap Bayou for B
Step 11: Repeat steps 8-10 as needed
Step 12: Drain life ftw

Notice how I didnt go past turn one there? Thats right, a one turn win. no interaction with your opponent, jsut throw down your cards, and win. Granted, the only card I mentioned that you are allowed to have more than one of in your deck is Bayou, as the rest are all restricted as hell. Also, they are all rediculously epensive.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Lord, I can do it a lot more simple than that, for far less the price.
Step 1: Black Lotus
Step 2: Mountain
Step 3: Raging Goblin
Step 4: Sac Lotus for 3x Black
Step 4: Dark Ritual
Step 5: Hatred for 19
Step 6: Attack for 20 with a 20-1 Raging Goblin.

Five cards, only one of which restricted. GG?

Or, why not just play Mind's Desire and win no matter what on the second turn? Man, I love this old line...
"Mind's Desire, play every card in my deck for free."
But, you know, nothing will ever compete with the following line:
"Turn three, Spiritmonger."
---
Also, on the note of you guys ruling: Has your DCI rating ever been anything more than 1800?

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm like 90% sure that Ritual is restricted in T1.

Yours may be more simple, but you have to use a creature, and really, who wants to do that?

As for ratings, no comment. Then again, I never claimed to rule, so I guess I dont have to justify anything.

Posted by Nightscare

Quoting The Judge: I always used to use primarily black and green decks, with reds and artifacts for power. Man, Plague Wind was an awesome card. Along with all the Wyrms. And I mean a lot of Wyrms. And Zombies.

that is exactly the deck i use. if lucky, i can win in 2 turns
TURN 1: play island

TURN 2: play any land, play show and tell, then play doorway to nothingness(i play show and tell because that card costs two of each mana)

my bro uses autochthon wurm a lot.

Posted by The Judge

I use a deck almost entirely composed of land, wyrms, zombies, and sorcery. I CALL THIS UTTER DESTRUCTION.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I call it overcosted junk that will see you losing to my little white men on turn 4 or 5.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Yeah. The Rebels of Mercadian Masques block were so imbalanced. Lin Sivvi... Scary.:( Poor Mercenaries couldn't compete.

However, don't be so arrogant LoS. Black-Green can still dominate. There's always Pernicioius Deed and Spiritmonger.:)

Posted by The Judge

Plague Wind always seemed to work out well.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Somehow I doubt he was thinking of those.

COP:B. Karma. GG.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Green still has Naturalize, Creeping Mold, Break Asunder, Chain of Acid, Druid and Elvish Lyrist, Emerald Charm, and Nantuko Calmer to take out the threat of Enchantments. Nobody plays black by itself, anyway. And, if they do, they better play Braids to keep that white deck Land-Locked. Monger is unthreatened by CoP, too. Color-changing rules.:cool:

Doesn't matter, though. No matter what, any good Blue deck will always win. EOTFOFYL. That's, "At the end of your turn, Fact or Fiction, you lose," for those that weren't around during the Invasion imbalances.:)

Also, Dark Ritual is not banned/restricted in Type 1. The only format that it is not allowed in is Extended and, of course, Type 2.

Posted by Klarth

I found all my brother's old cards a few years ago.

They'd better keep the franchise alive so I can sell them for ££money gold££ someday.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

oh yeah!? WEll I'd just use a chaos orb and kill your entire life force!

Posted by The Judge

...Really?

Posted by Lord of Spam

chaos confetti>chaos orb

Remember kids, when using U, just say no.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Remember kids, if you want to win, use U.:)

Posted by Lord of Spam

WotC has decided to hose blue recently (in theory, anyway). They decided that since something rediculously high percentage (I forget what, but I want to say something like 7-%) of banned/restricted cards were blue, it needed some hosin'. Seriously, think about it. Fact or ficiton (as skitzo seems to love), Ancestral recall, Time Walk, Mana Drain, Tinker, Tolarian acedemy (okay, technically nto blue, but still). All blue. All over powered.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Counterspell? Accumulated Knowledge? Brainstorm? Don't forget the cards that cost $.15 a piece that make a deck good.

Posted by Nightscare

has anyone realized that while the popularity of other crd games go up and down, magic's pop. stays the same

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, at a constant mid level, where everyone you talk to "used to play," but nobody is willing to sell you their old stuff.

Posted by Nightscare

i agree

Posted by Poco

BLUE GREEN DECKS ANYONE.

Really, I rarely play but I win easily with my deck,.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Vampiro]no

Pokemon is the only cool card game
I'm not exactly sure how serious you were when you said this...

But it's 100% true to the max.

Posted by Slade

I used to play for a bit, right after realizing YuGi-Oh wasn't for me... harsh breakup. I have a lot of cards sitting in my clost right now, most of which I got from depressed kids after they lost a battle and thought all hope was lost.

Posted by Slyder

I used to play all the time. But then came yu-gi-oh.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Poco]BLUE GREEN DECKS ANYONE.
Blue Green Madness...:(

Man, there are so many ways to play a good Blue-Green deck. MiracleGro was ****ed good, too.

I got a de-rep comment about $.15 cards that make a deck good. Care to explain why you disagree?

Posted by Nightscare

.15 cent cards can make a super pimp deck

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Nightscare].15 cent cards can make a super pimp deck Indeed. And now we build a deck...
16x Island
8x Forest
---
4x Accumulated Knowledge
4x Brainstorm
4x Deep Analysis
4x Circular Logic
4x Counterspell
---
4x Arrogant Wurm
4x Wild Mongrel
4x Basking Rootwalla
4x Aquamoeba
---
With the exception of Circular Logic and Arrogant Wurm, every card in this deck is a common. Go through your local store's common box (usually $.05 a card) to get all this, open up their binder and grab the uncommons (at most, $5 a piece because Circular Logic and Arrogant Wurm are really good), and grab a handful of lands. This deck would cost you a maximum of about $50. Hell, at ABU, this deck would cost nearly $60, that include shipping and handling costs. And, yes, this deck does win.

Posted by Nightscare

****, i could buy that deck for $11.80(i calculated, my local card store sells those two cards for $1 a peice)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Having a good deck and being able to play said deck is a very different thing.

Thats why ravager was so overpowered. Even people who had no idea how to play ended up saying "Oops, I think I just won."

Posted by Skitzo Control

I sure did like Ravager back when Skull Clamp was legal. Man, that card was good...

Posted by Lord of Spam

Too good.

SAY HELLO TO BAN HAMMER.

Posted by Killer Jordo

used to play, dont any more. Done

Posted by Skitzo Control

Ah, come on, LoS. What was wrong with Skullclamp? I mean, mixed with Ravager, it was only the best drawing engine in the game next to Yawgmoth's Bargain.

Posted by Nightscare

hi

Posted by Lord of Spam

Like i said, people won by accident. Back during mirroden block, me and a few friends were testing ravager, and when we first started to play it, we ended a lot fo games by saying "oh, whoa, I won!" You didnt really have to try too hard to deal 20 damage, it just sorta happened. It was overly powerful and overly forgiving.

Posted by Skitzo Control

It was still a control deck, at heart, which means you actually have to think about it, a lot of the time.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Control? HA. Lets run through Ravagers gameplan.

Turn one. Draw 7 cards. Play a black artifact land (name escapes me atm). Play Disciple of the Vault

Turn 2, draw a card, play another artifact land, play a talisman, tap talisman for a mana to play a frogmite. Play a few free frogmites.

Turn 3, draw a card, draw some free cards with thoughtcast, plasy it all after dropping a land, play a ravager, play a cranial plating, deal about 10 damage, then sac it all to ravager for the last points of damage. End.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Hmm... Let's see... Controlling the tempo of the game, keeping everything nice and neat and in your favor? Seems like that's exactly what Ravager did. Yes, it was a control deck. It may have been Aggro-Control (which is the better way to go), but it was still a control deck.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Every good nonextended version I saw just basically ignored the other person. it was about as interactive as a combo deck. All it did was blow things up. I mean, yes technically you could aim that Shrapnel blast at a pesky blocker, but why bother? Just put cranial plating on as an instant on what ever gets blocked, then shrapnel blast, saccing the blocked creature, dealing damage to the dome. :cool:

Posted by Skitzo Control

But who cares about nonextended?!:o

Posted by Light

my deck for magic is red and green but i also still play yu-gi-oh and pokemon now some friends of mine want me to learn how to play dbz and some others as well

Posted by Lord of Spam

You're never going to have the money to playa ny game well if you dont focus.

Skitzo: cool people :cool:

Posted by Nightscare

Quoting Light: my deck for magic is red and green but i also still play yu-gi-oh and pokemon now some friends of mine want me to learn how to play dbz and some others as well

dbz card game sucks. trust me

Posted by Speedfreak

THIS THREAD IS ACTUALLY GAY. ACTUALLY GAY. ASK ANYONE.

Posted by Lord of Spam

No, it isnt. Even if it had genitalsand a sexual orientation, which it doesnt, it would be a big manly man.

Posted by Nightscare

Quoting Lord of Spam: No, it isnt. Even if it had genitalsand a sexual orientation, which it doesnt, it would be a big manly man

no truer words have been spoken

Posted by Lord of Spam

Except for you, nightscare. You're the only thing laming this thread up.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Lord of Spam]No, it isnt. Even if it had genitalsand a sexual orientation, which it doesnt, it would be a big manly man.A manly man with long hair, a Mountain Dew can in the left hand and pizza in the right, talking about plastic card sleeves and what color is best for what deck.:)

Posted by Nightscare

look at my sig!!!! i found the bestest magic card ever!!!

Posted by Nightscare

Quoting Lord of Spam: Except for you, nightscare. You're the only thing laming this thread up.

i made this thread, *******

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Nightscare: i made this thread, *******

Shut the fuck up. NOW.

Posted by Nightscare

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....no

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Nightscare: i made this thread, *******

I guess that proves that good things can come from poo.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I found my foil Spiritmonger on Friday in a pile of papers that were destined for the garbage, and it brought back memories, so I went through my cards, called a few friends, and built The Rock. Then, I took it down to the local tourney "headquarters" and played it through Type 1, in which I swept the entire 6 round tournament (12-0). I still have my $50 prize money in my wallet. An exchange of $2 to $50? Why did I stop doing this, again?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Because it is an evil, filthy habit that will ulitimately consume your soul.

But it sure is fun, isnt it?

Posted by Skitzo Control

Like crystal meth, except my room stays dirty.:)

Posted by Nightscare

ive been getting into more tournaments lately, and while i still lose every once in a while, i have a pretty good orzhov [url=http://www.essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=445720]deck[/url]

Posted by Lord of Spam

You've got to be kidding. Its not an Orzhov deck unless it has 4 Ghost councils and 4 teysas. Massive fail.

Posted by Nightscare

its called i have no money, buddy. BUDGET deck.(and my local card shops were out. i live in a town of less than 2000, so there's only one)

Posted by Lord of Spam

You didnt say that it was a budget deck, so dont try to act as if it was obvious that it was.

Even judging it as a budget deck, it still looks crappy as hell. You have no coherent strategy, and your mana curve is garbage.

Posted by JonMB

I used to play MTG: Portal (beginner). Besides that I never really got into it. I play occasionally with my friends but at our level it's less about skill and more about who has the better deck, which is stupid.

I prefer the Pokemon game, but I never play that either.

Posted by Nightscare

i just built a [url=http://www.essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=447567]creature feature deck[/url] for my local two-headed giant tourney

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wow. Just... wow.

I hope that you are in a tourney either with a partner that has a top teir deck, or in a tounrey where everyone lese sucks, cuz other wise that pile of crap stands no chance.

Posted by Nightscare

budget deck

Posted by Lord of Spam

That doesnt excuse it from being crap, you realize, right?

Posted by Nightscare

yes, but i can't afford ghost councils or godless shrines.

Posted by basterd

HAHA I thought you guys were talking about magic,like with spells and things. I hate magic the gathering, never had the right cards and once I had a good deck I cound't use it because within a month they had some other deck made. sucky sucky game.

Posted by Lord of Spam

thats why you play limited formats where who wins doesnt come down to who spends more money.

Also, night, even without councils and shrines, your deck is crap as a budget deck. You need to learn about mana curves and all that fun stuff. Go read articles online. There are craploads of magic strategy websites out that.

Posted by Skitzo Control

By "limited," I hope you mean the Limited Format (IE draft and sealed deck), because that's the only time that the game requires deck-building skill and a bit of luck. Still, Limited requires a lot of money because you have to play it a lot to be any good at it.

If you want to play in a format where you can still have a chance to win and not spend a load of money, try going with Type 2. Sure, back when decks were all about that one rare (ARCBOUND RAVAGER AND MASTICORE RUINED THE FUCKING GAME!), it was hard, but I'm sure (hope) that things have mellowed out.

Posted by Nightscare

i might have forgot to mention that it is a type-2, two-headed giant, creature feature. i also made some changes.

Posted by Light

Quoting Nightscare: dbz card game sucks. trust me

this i know i just keep the cards i got so i can trade them for good pokemon and yugi onesv now aday's

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Skitzo Control: but I'm sure (hope) that things have mellowed out.

HAHAHAHahahahah no. Well, not really. You're still looking at dropping about $50-100 if you want to have a serious fighting deck. That being said, if you're pro enough there are cheaper decks that you might be able to force through. But like I somehow doubt that this kid has that much skill.

And as for limited, I still think its the best. Obviously if someone who doesnt play a lot goes up against a pro its going to end badly. But it helps if the group of people you play with has varying levels on income (like in my group, which consists of 4 broke college kids and one guy who comes from a wealthy family). We all got sick of being killed by his "lol i spent 50 bucks so now you die" decks, so now we all either just choose a format and leave it open to proxies, or jsut do draft/sealed deck.

Posted by GameMiestro

Sligh decks=fun.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Sligh is the second least though requiring deck ever, right after RG beats.

All hail DeepDog and Krark-Clan IronWorks.

Posted by Nightscare

i just played in an all rare draft and got some interesting cards. some of these being frankensteins monster, mindslaver, and worldgorger dragon. i made finals and lasted till second round. the prize for first was a mox emerald

Posted by Lord of Spam

Mind Slaver is jsut ****ing fun. I have 2 or 3. WorldGorger dragon is the centerpeice of an infinite mana combo (dragon in the graveyard+animate dead+one lane in play+ instant speed x damage spell= dead enemy.)

Sucks that you didnt pick up the emerald, though. Having a peice of the P9 can never hurt.

Posted by Nightscare

i got taken out easily in the finals because he kept lockin me down and takin away my good cards with glimpse the unthinkable and using the dam loxodon warhammer

Posted by Lord of Spam

lol, I keep forgetting that the hammer got reprinted as rare in 9th edition. I'm used to it being uncommon from mirrodin.

Posted by Nightscare

the only time i got a win in the match was after he used glimpse the unthinkable and i played [url=http://www.essentialmagic.com/Cards/default.asp?ID=1734] frankenstein's monster[/url]

Posted by GameMiestro

The only major thing I have against Magic is the number of stupid cards added to the game. Amulet of Quoz and Chaos Orb are both obviously game-ruining, and cards like Bronze Tablet approach hilarity.

Of course, other games suffer from absurd cards as well. One of my favorites is from Pokemon: [URL="http://www.serebii.net/picture.php?TCG/Gym_2/119-mines.jpg"]http://www.serebii.net/picture.php?TCG/Gym_2/119-mines.jpg[/URL] . "OMG you got tails I get to put 200 damage on your basic Pokemon!1".

Posted by Nightscare

good thing their both banned. by the way dissension has arrived!!!

i was one game away from making finals in recent sealed turney. my cousin pulled a hollowed fountain and an avatar of discord in his first 2 packs