So, who's played the 360?

Posted by Drewboy64

Demos are out in stores now, so me and my bro went to play Call of Duty 2 on the 360. I must say, the controllers are quite nice, and are even comparable to the Wavebird. Although, once again, people don't put two triggers in a comfortable place. I only saw one controller made by some company for the Dual Shock where the second L and R buttons were in an area natural for the middle finger to rest. Anyway, the controller is comfy. I played COD2 and the controlls were a bit messed up because I'm used to Halo 2. The game looked crisp, but there is the factor that the 360 was hooked to an HDTV. The graphics are then given the illusion that they are utterly breathtaking. On the contrary, they are good, but not that impressive... I'm pretty sure the X-box could handle similar graphics. The game was pretty fun, although the analog stick movement was a bit sensitive. I would much rather snipe using a Revolution controller. The 360 is a pretty good console, but I'm still definately gonna buy the Rev.

Has anyone else used the 360? what'd you think of it?

Posted by Axis

I got the chance to play it at Best Buy. First game that I played was Kameo: Elements of Power. Man, it felt like the good old Rare again. The gameplay was fun and the controls were extremely good, I had not trouble getting used to them and it takes about 2 minutes to get used to it. Call of Duty ran better than it did on my computer which was suprising, but it was the same demo so I didn't play all of it. King Kong was ok, nothing impressive. Overall the best things about it were Kameo's gameplay and the controller. The controller just kicks ***. As for the graphics, I didn't see many jaggies, they were there, but you would have to look really closely to notice them. King Kongs graphics weren't impressive, Kameo's were, and CoD2's were pretty good.

[quote=DrewBoy64]I'm pretty sure the X-box could handle similar graphics.
No, it couldn't. If you look at differences between the Kameo graphics on Xbox and the 360 you would notice a huge difference.

Posted by Drewboy64

meh, CoD2 didn't impress me too much. It looked amazing more because of the TV I think. Granted it surpasses graphics that the X-box could handle, but I don't think its by much. I mean, Halo 2 looked amazing too.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Drewboy64: meh, CoD2 didn't impress me too much. It looked amazing more because of the TV I think. Granted it surpasses graphics that the X-box could handle, but I don't think its by much. I mean, Halo 2 looked amazing too.

Trust me, I have an HDTV and an regular TV, it doesn't give it a huge edge like everyone thinks, there isn't a huge leap in graphics between the two either, it's just more clear. CoD2 will look almost the same on a regular TV as on HD. CoD2 looks like it could be run on a high end PC as well....even though the PC is a port from the 360. The more impressive games graphically are games like PGR3, PDZ (Newer build), and Oblivon. (Oh, RR6 too).

Posted by Speedfreak

That's right. It's because 480p isn't that much smaller than 720p. I mean, subtract 480 from 720 and that's essentially the difference, 240. 720p is 1.5X 480p, hardly a massive leap there visually, but very big in terms of power needed. I think Nintendo are being very intelligent not to force HD on developers this generation.

Posted by Random

The controller is sweet. It's honestly the best controller i've ever held.

*sigh* i'm going to have a hard time seeing the 360 in back of the store and not be able to buy one til the release date. Sorta like Star Wars BFront 2, we have in back but I can't get it. Well I could but I'd lose my job.

But the 360 is amazing.

Posted by Axis

Quoting SomebodyRandom: The controller is sweet. It's honestly the best controller i've ever held.

*sigh* i'm going to have a hard time seeing the 360 in back of the store and not be able to buy one til the release date. Sorta like Star Wars BFront 2, we have in back but I can't get it. Well I could but I'd lose my job.

But the 360 is amazing.

Wait, you guys already have the 360's in the back of your store? Where do you work and how many did you get?

Posted by The Ripley

Whens this release date I'm hearing about?

Posted by Axis

That'd be November 22nd.

Posted by Random

Quoting Axis: Wait, you guys already have the 360's in the back of your store? Where do you work and how many did you get?

lol no no! Sorry I meant to say when we do get them in, it'll be hard not to get our hands on it. Though there is a manager from another EB Games who was in our store and said that they are getting them in this week. So perhaps we ourselves will to? I'm not sure... ??? Can't sell them til the 22nd. We have something in our computers that won't allow us to. That wouldn't stop us from grabbing one but that wouldn't go over well with the boss's.

Posted by Axis

Quoting SomebodyRandom: lol no no! Sorry I meant to say when we do get them in, it'll be hard not to get our hands on it. Though there is a manager from another EB Games who was in our store and said that they are getting them in this week. So perhaps we ourselves will to? I'm not sure... ??? Can't sell them til the 22nd. We have something in our computers that won't allow us to. That wouldn't stop us from grabbing one but that wouldn't go over well with the boss's.

That's interesting. I've had someone say that they're getting about 60 on launch day. I'm beginning to wonder if this whole shortage thing is a bunch of hoopla.

Posted by Big Boss

I playtested on the Xbox 360 before it became available to the public, and the controller is pretty much just as good as the Xbox's. I thought the new shoulder buttons would allow for the same level of interactivity as the Dual Shock 2 (using four fingers at the same time with the shoulder buttons comfortably). But, since the controller uses triggers, using the index fingers on them is uncomfortable. But, it is better than using the white and black buttons.

Posted by Axis

I actually like the triggers on the controller, I think they're an improvement from the last controller. It's also nice that the re-located the start and back button towards the center. The shoulder buttons are pretty nice, but I agree with how you can use 2 fingers on the top like the Dual Shock 2 controller, but to me it's not that big of a deal.

Posted by Random

Ok so I went back into Bestbuy and played Call of Duty 2. I have come to a conclusion. The 360 Rocks. The Controller is by far the best controller i've ever held. It blows the S-Controller straight to hell, and nothing else has ever came close to the 360's controller comfortability. I was playing Call of Duty 2 in High Definition and it was awesome. I think i'll end up picking up that game aswell.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Drewboy64: I'm pretty sure the X-box could handle similar graphics.

Considering that the 360 is only using one of its three processors to run games at this time, you are in fact rendered an idiot.

Next.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: Considering that the 360 is only using one of its three processors to run games at this time, you are in fact rendered an idiot.

Right now I believe it's just a rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. I bet developers haven't had enough time to work on the hardware, and since the 360 and the PS3 share the multi-processor structure that the Sega Saturn similarly used (which made it hard to develop for), the launch titles for both consoles won't be anything truly impressive. People like to say one system is easier to develop for than another, but the truth is developers are more annoyed by the fact that they have to develop differently for each system, since their core architectures are quite unique from each other than they've ever been.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Didn't one of the developers (that's releasing a product on launch) say that they were using more than one processor? maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Anyways, the controller is nice, a lot better than the Xbox's. It felt more streamlined and fit better into my hands. Still felt a tad too big, though it was still comfortable. I tried CoD2 at EB and Kameo at Best Buy. Both games were really good. CoD looked nice, nothing spectacular, but I didn't expect it. It controlled as good as I could have expected and it was overall enjoyable. Kameo on the otherhand was great. It looked fantastic and was incredibly fun to play. Exceeded my expectations.

Anywho, the 360 looks to be on par with my expectations. I'm looking forward to bringing one home.

Quoted post: said that they are getting them in this week.

A week? Hm, maybe it's different for the US, but I've been hearing the 14th looks like a pretty solid date...

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro: Anyways, the controller is nice, a lot better than the Xbox's. It felt more streamlined and fit better into my hands. Still felt a tad too big, though it was still comfortable.

Thought it was too big? I thought it was a little too small.. It was a perfect fit really, just maybe a tad (when I say a tad I mean a tad) bit too short. But overall it's perfect.

Quoted post: Thought it was too big? I thought it was a little too small..

I haven't been playing my Xbox for awhile (over a month?), so switching from a PS2/GC controller to that... eh, it feels, like I said, a tad big.

Posted by Random

lol.. I normally use madcats or some other controller for the GC or the PS2. My hands are long, but not gigantic. The Xbox S-controller seems to be the perfect fit in size. The 360 controller just a tad bit short, but perfect comfortably. I love it. By far the best controller. I like the new trigger like buttons which replaced black-white.

I'm curious to try the PS3 or the Rev's controller now. I doubt they are near as comfortable as the 360's is.

Posted by BEZ1

Man, I really gotta try out the 360 now. I'll hit up a Best Buy ot something this weekend and let everyone know how it went.

Posted by Drewboy64

I heard Halo 3 is being rushed. I guess that's true if it really is coming out when the PS3 arrives. Is this true?
I'm still debating on whether or not i should get a 360 for halo 3, but I probably wont...

Posted by Axis

Quoting Drewboy64: I heard Halo 3 is being rushed. I guess that's true if it really is coming out when the PS3 arrives. Is this true?
I'm still debating on whether or not i should get a 360 for halo 3, but I probably wont...

That was dismissed by Bungie themselves.

Posted by IIMrBrightsidexX

Yea I preordered mine... I work at Gamestop and We are supposedly getting our first shipment Nov. 11. Man ill have to see it for two weeks before i can lay my hands on one... sucks soooo bad!!!!!

Posted by Axis

Quoting IIMrBrightsidexX: Yea I preordered mine... I work at Gamestop and We are supposedly getting our first shipment Nov. 11. Man ill have to see it for two weeks before i can lay my hands on one... sucks soooo bad!!!!!

Do you guys know if 1st and 2nd shipment are going to merge?

Quoted post: Do you guys know if 1st and 2nd shipment are going to merge?

Here they aren't. 1st will be gone within a few days, and I think 2nd arrives a couple weeks later. Those will also be sold to people with pre-orders (minus a few people who backed out). So it won't be until two weeks before Christmas or aybe even afterwards until you can walk in and buy one.

Assuming that's the same for everywhere.

Posted by starsavior

I work at Gamecrazy and we are going to get our Demo unit in this week. I dont know about Eb/Gamestop but we should have ours in either about 2 or 3 days before it comes out but as far as preorders we will have our first shipment before and the second around friday of that week. Anyways back on subject i think that its shaping up to be awsome for a while i was afraid i would be buying a dreamcast 2 lol. I played kameo and was blown away and then i played king kong and was Very Dissappointed but Call of Duty 2 was very impressive...

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Big Boss]

And this is Resident Evil 4 (PS2 Ver.):

This is just an example of the graphical changes that could happen after the inital release. Just think about it - if you are truly only running on one core, imagine th possiblites once the door to three is opened up.

Posted by Skitzo Control

The processor is what interprets and executes things, it doesn't affect the graphics at all. Once the games start using three processors, they will, in fact, look exactly the same.

Quoting Vampiro: Here they aren't. 1st will be gone within a few days, and I think 2nd arrives a couple weeks later. Those will also be sold to people with pre-orders (minus a few people who backed out). So it won't be until two weeks before Christmas or aybe even afterwards until you can walk in and buy one.

Assuming that's the same for everywhere.

Well around here (Memphis) you won't be able to walk in and buy one untill Mid January... And all game stores stopped preorders(unless ur preordering it for christmas) Friday... i preordered mine Sept 11 (my bday) so I am goign to the Midnight madness to pick mine up. And on the converging.. No they won't basically if you preordered yours anywhere from when they started taking preorders to about October 1st u get 1st shipment... if you waited after that 2nd shipment.. and if you do it now it will prolly be mid December when u get urs.

Posted by Random

So I played the 360 again last night.. Played Kameo again. Also played Call of Duty 2, and King Kong. The graphics are very cinematic looking. Looks too real to be honest. The gameplay for the demo's too were fun.

yea lol i was in CC and this girl was looking at this TV screen i was like HEY Why are they showing the King Kong Movie here then she walking away and i saw all this white stuff i yelled in the store HOLY ****... ITS THE 360.

Posted by Axis

Well I played Kameo for a 3rd time yesterday as well, it's just too fun to play. It's good old Rare again.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control]The processor is what interprets and executes things, it doesn't affect the graphics at all. Once the games start using three processors, they will, in fact, look exactly the same.

Not so, it can be used for generate polygons, texture mapping, controlling phsysics and AI.

In fact, Processors can be used for everything Graphics cards do. They're just nowhere near as efficient as GPUs at graphics work.