Video game anger

Posted by Lord of Spam

How angry do you get when you get frustrated by a game?

Normally, when I lose in something like a fighting game (i.e. SC2, since its the only one I play), I dont care, because if the person was good enough to beat me, chances are I had fun playing. But its the 1 player games that get me.

I just spent half an hour in the stupid arse desert in GOd of War, only to get killed by some minotaur body gaurd that the siren summoned. I yelled various profanities and threw the controller, which ended up bouncing off a bed post and hitting the side of the tv in the process of its flight.

Thankfully, it was my room mates PS2, so no damage to my stuff.

So, how ****ed do you guys get? Ever yelled? Thrown controllers? Punched walls/furniture? Tell us about you reactions.

Posted by Drewboy64

I get pretty angry sometimes, but I just cuss or something. Like when I shoot someone point blank and melee him with the Shotgun and he doesnt die, then he just shoots me with a shot gun and I die in one hit. Or when I'm out of practice in SSB and I'm sucking hardcore. But it doesnt make me yell or kill people. The time I was most frustrated was when I was getting a banshee to the scarab gun. It got stuck so I shot it a few times (i thought it would have the same effect as meleeing, and I already tried to get it unstuck), and it exploded. At the end of the tunnel. So yeah, it was really crappy.

Posted by Speedfreak

Actually, the more ridiculously unfair or difficult a game may seem to me, the more I laugh at it. Either that or, after trying really hard and failing, I just feel exhausted and don't have the emotional energy to get angry.

Posted by veritas

There were two instinces.

1. I was trying to beat the 100 round challenge in Ratchet and Clank up your arsenal. I got to the last round (Scorpio). And I lost. I didn't say anything I seriously was about to cry. I did eventually beat it though.

2. There was this one race in Need For Speed Underground 1. It was, I think 7 laps. It took me forever to beat that race. I would have the lead by 6 seconds and all of a sudden they were right behind me. That or I would run into the barriers in the middle of the tunnel. I screamed, cussed, threw my controller, punced my wall in that race.

Posted by ExoXile

I was playing Castlevania: DoS and i hadn't saved for 3

Posted by veritas

omg that sucks

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Depends. I usually just shake my head and put down my controller for a second. But if I've been at it for a long time, it can be anywhere from clenching a fist to muttering a swear word, or laughing at how ridiculous it is.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: Depends. I usually just shake my head and put down my controller for a second.
Or laughing at how ridiculous it is.

Yeah. :)

Posted by Big Boss

I believe I "let my controller fall" when climbing out of Hades in God of War. A nasty tower puzzle was upsetting me, and I had spent all night playing the game. The sun was rising, but I was determined to finish the game before the break ended. I knew I was close to the finish line, but repeating the same puzzle over and over because my reflexes were exhausted wasn't helping.

I also screamed in anger quite a few times when playing the Hurricane Pack of Ninja Gaiden. In Ultimate Spider-Man, I was getting quite frustrated that I couldn't get the Ultimate Medal in one of the city races. I'm sure Fate noticed my uncontrollable cursing quite a few times. I also recall playing Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 in the hardest difficulty setting, and turning my PS2 off in anger while giving the game the finger.

Posted by Crazy K

Many times have I been in anger wile playing a game. If I cant get past a certain part, I will always try again, but If I cant get past it like 20 or so times, I get extremely frustrated, and yet I keep trying. Sometimes I will get pist and just quite.

Quoted post: I also screamed in anger quite a few times when playing the Hurricane Pack of Ninja Gaiden

Ah yes. One of the few times I truly got ****ed off at a game.

Posted by Luigi182

I don't get angry at games much anymore. There were times in the past I would get ****ed and slam the controller down on the floor, but as time passed, I've learned that getting angry at the game is useless. Nowadays, when I do get frustrated, I just save and quit. My fiance asked me once why I do it so abruptly, and my reply to her was, "its the one gambit have against playing a game that always works." As I explained that to her, I was in the process of saving and quitting, and as I shut the power off, I said, "simply put, I WIN"

It's refreshing to know I have that gambit. :D

Posted by GameMiestro

I found a glitch in Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance that allowed me to fight the first battle on an invisible backround. However, afterwards, I found out that all the data on my cartridge had been deleted, including my other file which had all 300 missions completed, and Lv. 50 characters. I was momentarily stunned, and then decided to get revenge in a very effective way- I used that catridge for, shall I say, "unintended" purposes.

Posted by Seres Aran

I used to get angry at video games, but I never cussed. I found it stupid and childish. I mean, any kid can cuss. I'd just murderalize my controller by button mashing it super hard, almostly insanely. Actually, it wasn't because I was mad. I'd only do that when I had to solve a puzzle in a game and I had to push a couple or buttons to use an item or something. I found out how foolish it was when I met up with a boy named Will... he'd claim that a game was awesome one day, and then say that it was stupid the next just because he couldn't beat a certain part. He took out two televisions and three computers over the course of time, due to his rage. It made me laugh at hating video games just because something goes wrong, so now I don't do it anymore. Especially since I'm the master of games, and no game is too challenging for me... 0.o

Posted by Vampire Slayer

When I get mad theres lots of cussing and controller slamming.

Posted by Eludiac

when i get mad i break things... mostly my thumbs. and then i dress in drag and run the streets askin people for dimes. jk i prolly just pop a couple blood vessels and my parents tell me "its just a game" and then i yell some nonsense at them. i usually come back in five mintues and then beat it with ease.

Posted by neonmole

I do sometimes get wound up by games. But when I am wound up I feel more like crying than smashing something up.:(

Posted by Arczu

I get mad. But not nearly enough...

If I feel I was unjustly defeated, the worst is a "Come on!!". A lot of the times I actually laughe because I did something really stupid to cause the loss/death.

Actually... if I get at a stuck point, I just kinda sight and change my method a bit. Nothing to go stark raving mad about. See Devil May Cry for A LOT of unjust deaths.

Posted by veritas

Aint it the truth

Posted by GameMiestro

I broke my GBA...

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I broke my GBA too, and a few PS2s, and several controllers.

Posted by KMFDM

Well I hate to say it but I get way too mad I think. Like one time I was play DW4 for like 7 hours strait to try to get strong to beat Lubo. The game was lagging so much then it froze and I went crazy and trashed my PS2.

Posted by Ch

Well I've never thrown a controller but I have cussed in frustration. I usually just toss the controller on the floor and I'll go do something else then come back to it.

Posted by Zeta

I've always managed to stay cool while playing games, usually swearing softly only after I've failed to beat a boss or something for the tenth time in a row.

Now my sister, on the other hand, absolutely freaks out. When she starts doing bad she gets pissed and starts screaming. And after she gets mad she starts doing even worse at whatever she is playing. After a while she's all like 'STFU', locks herself in her room, and throws a tantrum. It's kind of funny, unless she flings the controller halfway across the room or something. Crazy girl hormones.

Posted by Fate

I wail like a kid until I overcome the game. I think Ninja Gaiden is the only game I wanted to beat but didn't because of difficulty.

Posted by Crazy K

If I have a problem with trying to defeat a game, I usually stop playing for months on in, then all of a sudden feel the urge to play.

Posted by Slade

I'm on the "Crazy K" swing of things on Ninja Gaiden. I will beat that game... later. Usually I'm cool with games, even if I'm losing pretty badly. If I'm playing someone multiplayer at something, and owning, then I know that as soon as they start freaking out they just lost every chance they had at beating me.
So as I see it as weakness in others, I personally avoid it. I'd rather do something else if I really feel like exploding. It's a game. Game= fun, right?

Posted by Zeta

[quote=Slade]So as I see it as weakness in others, I personally avoid it.

This is one of those lines someone would respond with 'quote for truth', right?

It's just not fun playing multiplayer against people with short fuses. They get mad, and start to play worse... and worse... and worse... and worse... until they're doing so badly a blind, deaf, 5-year old with ADHD could beat them. I've never had a fun match playing against my sister in SSBM. Now my friends, who keep calm, I've had some good, long matches with them.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Slade]I'm on the "Crazy K" swing of things on Ninja Gaiden. I will beat that game... later. Usually I'm cool with games, even if I'm losing pretty badly. If I'm playing someone multiplayer at something, and owning, then I know that as soon as they start freaking out they just lost every chance they had at beating me.
So as I see it as weakness in others, I personally avoid it. I'd rather do something else if I really feel like exploding. It's a game. Game= fun, right?

yup, I remember when I got Jak And Daxter, I only played it for about a few days, and said it was to hard. Then when I started 7th Grade (almost a year or so later) I stared Jak and Daxter all over, and got through nearly half of it in like 3 hours. Then I just played it none stop the next day. Then during 8th grade I tried to do the same thing with Jak 2, and it did not turn out, I just never played it.

Then almost a year later I play Jak 2 again and get through some of it. I still have not played Metal Gear Solid 3 again, I should get to that.

Posted by Axis

Sure, I've gotten frustrated with a few games but I have never thrown or cussed over something in a game.

Quoted post: I think Ninja Gaiden is the only game I wanted to beat but didn't because of difficulty.

Ninja Gaiden Black will solve that, I'm sure.

Posted by DDP

Ive seen people throw controllers across the room, while playing guilty gear.

Posted by Nickd009

i get angry when the game keeps doing glitchs and when the figgin mission is so hard that you cant beat it 4 like and month. I usually smash the controller on the ground when im mad

Posted by Wicked Sushi

If lose in a game, I just laugh at it and start over and give it another go. If I keep losing constantly, try after try though, I just shut the game off for the day.

I never slammed dunk my controllers into the concrete nor did I started shouting and/or cussing. Maybe a "haha fuck how did that happened" cuss, but not an angry one.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Meh games have never pushed me to the point where i have to physically throw or smash something. I mean yes, at times games could get a little frustrating, but I never found any use for waisting energy throwing things around the room or yelling. I simply keep retrying, or take a break for a whiel and then come back. I see no use in getting extrmemly angry over such an insignificant thing like video games. But hey that's just me; if those of you feel pleasure by throwing or smashing things when you get mad that is your decision.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Mystic Hero]Meh games have never pushed me to the point where i have to physically throw or smash something. I mean yes, at times games could get a little frustrating, but I never found any use for waisting energy throwing things around the room or yelling. I simply keep retrying, or take a break for a whiel and then come back. I see no use in getting extrmemly angry over such an insignificant thing like video games. But hey that's just me; if those of you feel pleasure by throwing or smashing things when you get mad that is your decision.

Ever played Mario Kart: Super Circuit?

Posted by Random

I don't quite nearly have the Video Game anger that my cousin does. If I get angry, i'll save my game and play another day when i'm less angry. Or finish out a game online and then quit after the game finishes. My cousin on the other hand (who's 5 years older keep in mind), has broken my controllers because of anger. He always spikes controllers when he's getting ripped off or if he gets P*ssed off. And there were times where they were my controllers. I had a brand new Large Xbox Controller (which I prefer to use over the S controllers) and he spiked it. Luckily it didn't break.. well after about 6 more spikes it stopped working. He also broke my Special Limited Green Edition Halo controller.. Urg..

Posted by Crazy K

As a matter a fact I was playing one of my friends at NBA 2K5. I dominated him the first 2 games and then the 3rd time we played each other he dominated me, I just went all crazy at him, yelling and bitching, etc. I usually dont like to loose against other people, so I tend to get mad when im loosing by a little. But oh well, thats just me.

Posted by Lady of War

I get pretty angry sometimes when I play a part over and over agian with no success. I usually say "F" and punch the nearest object to my right...If failure continues I shut the console off and pace the house complaining.But if there is a victory after turbulent waters...than sweet it is! I jump up and shout "who's your mommy now".

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting GameMiestro: Ever played Mario Kart: Super Circuit?

Even if I did, it's not in my to get enraged over a game. Such an expendature of energy isn't necessary.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=GameMiestro]Ever played Mario Kart: Super Circuit?

Pff, Super Circuit? More like Lost Levels.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Mystic Hero]Even if I did, it's not in my to get enraged over a game. Such an expendature of energy isn't necessary.
Involuntary bursts of anger. :mad: :mad:

I keep my microphone off most of the time while playing Halo 2. I yelled at Banjo Kazooie just earlier today. :cool:

Posted by bigdaddyju34

Sometimes I hate video games. I have broken about 4 xbox controllers because of getting mad at games. Sometimes I just think they are out to get me! HA

Quoted post: I have broken about 4 xbox controllers because of getting mad at games.

That's pretty pathetic.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I tend to yell during Super Mario Strikers, but its more out of suspense (i.e. "NO! GET THE ****ER!" when an opponent is in striking position) than anger.

Posted by Ant

Yesterday I was playing Paper Mario 2. So I was at the part where you are going thru the Pit of Trials. So I get to about level 85ish. Keep in mind you can't save thru any of this and the first 50 levels are easy and boring, but time consuming. So I die because I got frozen(or stuck in time). And then I died. So I ****ing throw the contoller on the ground and it bounces over on my dresser. Only to see that I had a life shroom and it brought me back to life :D

Nothing like getting angry only to find out that all is well.

P.S. I managed to get to the bottom and beat Bonetail with a fair amount of ease.

Posted by eternalchaos

When I get angry, I usually start to kill all of my teamates. Gernades r the most fun!

Posted by NightmareBassX

I remember when I was playing Pokemon Pinball a long time ago... It was my older brothers game, and our shared Gameboy color... I was at Mewtwo... Even my brother didn't get him, And I was doing so well. I got so ****ed off when i failed that I just threw the gameboy to the ground. I pick it up facedown, and BANG! There is splatched (Is that a word?) ink all in the inside, and it had a spider-web effect to it. Hehe, I had to lie and say it fell of the Dresser while it was charging. He still doesn't know the trust. But I was like 7-9 years old, and kind of had anger problems, So it was sort of natural. And please, PLEASE don't let me get started on old-school Tetris for the Gameboy (Gray, First). That game took the beating of a life time.