Netscape 8.0.4 vs Firefox

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Just downloaded Netscape 8.0.4 today. It's based off of Firefox, but there are some notable differences. First one, is that Netscape downloads faster. Firefox always freezes for anywhere between 15 seconds and 90 seconds when I try to download something. This does not do that. The themes look better than Firefox, but there are less of them. The tabs open a little weirdly, in that instead of going straight to the end of the queue, they open next to the original tab.

A few default settings need to be tweaked. The most glaring are the "open new tabs in foreground", "load new tab on current page" (rather than on about:blank), and some of the popup stuff. Also, for maximum security, you need to set it to block all third-party cookies.

Overall, a good browser. Firefox's freeze problems have caused me to switch to this one full time.

Posted by brownoystercult

While browsing various sites, I always got the Mozilla Feedback Agent crap. Eventually I got sick of it, and I have switched to Netscape for good.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Ive never really had a problem with firefox. In fact, it runs darn nicely. The school computers here run netscap, and to be honest, I'd almost rather use IE than it. It may have tabs, but it seems clunky and slow. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: but it seems clunky and slow.

That's the impression I got also. Never had a problem with Firefox.

Posted by higbvuyb

Same, I've never had a problem with Firefox either. Opera is also good, and they new free version doesn't have ads.

EDIT: 666th post lol!

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Lord of Spam: I'd almost rather use IE than it.

So IE's bad?

Quoted post: So IE's bad?

very

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: very

So i should get FireFox?

Right away

Posted by Proto Man

I never had any problems with IE. We actually used to use Netscape back in the beginning, but after they were bought out by AOL, we switched to IE full time.

Posted by Crazy K

I got Firefox after someone on here said "firefox is the future in internet browsing" or something like that, and thats when I got righ to it and downloaded it. Much better the IE. After I got FF, it was much more faster and it did not get messed up because of the viruses I had.

But I cant judge netscape, because I dont have it.

Posted by Richaod

I always hated the original Netscape, even the one from a few years ago.

Although admittedly the original Mozilla browser was worse; I mean, come on, stealing back/forward/refresh images from Netscape was just dodgy.

Anyway, I'll try the new Netscape.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Firefox hates javascript and flash, for the most part. Sites like Yahoo! LAUNCHcast don't work well on it. Firefox is more advanced though. It understands practically all HTML and CSS, meaning a lot of sites look cleaner on it.

Fortunately for me, my ISP browser now has tab browsing and option customization, so it's like a mix of IE and Firefox.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

[quote=Richaod]I always hated the original Netscape, even the one from a few years ago.

Although admittedly the original Mozilla browser was worse; I mean, come on, stealing back/forward/refresh images from Netscape was just dodgy.

Anyway, I'll try the new Netscape.Are you kidding me? Mozilla was the open-source development mule for Netscape! :rolleyes: http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html

Anyways, I recently found Deer Park Alpha 2 (AKA Firefox 1.6a1). Despite being a nightly build, I haven't found bugs, and it runs much better than the release version did on my computer.

Posted by Fate

Linkman: If you download the NoScript extension on FF, you can choose which sites to allow in Java, since global allowance is dangerous. You could download the Fasterfox which tweaks performance. You won't have a problem if you download NoScript.

FF wins because of Adblock. I see no owls. Or 4chan.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Must... resist... posting an owl...

FireFox has never given me a problem with anything so far, and until it does, I see no reason to switch.