Songs you can't stop playing on an instrument

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Are there any songs that you love to play on your instrument? Songs that you just can't stop playing and every time you pick up your instrument you just have to play that song once just because its so much fun and to play?

For me its Feel Good Inc. By Gorillaz
Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin

*Thanks NegativeTrend for pointing that out

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Hold the Line - Toto
Without you - Fei-on Castor

Probably a few more, but none come to mind, ATM.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Tornado of Souls by Megadeth on the drums, it's just so **** fun to play. It's triplet heaven:)

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Metallica - Call of Ktulu

Posted by MetalVox~55

My bands songs. otherwise, they'd be ****ed at me. :p

Posted by Richaod

Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica. Seriously, it's just pure thrash.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting Vampire Slayer: Led Zeplin

[SIZE="6"]LED ZEPPELIN[/SIZE]

Anyway, I have a problem with constantly playing Pink Floyd, Kansas, and King Crimson songs. Mostly easy but they sound so good.

Posted by Gollum

Metropolis Pt. 1 by Dream Theater. It's one of my favourite songs and the drumming is fantastic, especially in the instrumental section, which seems simple to me now.

In other news, my second bass drum came in today. My second pedal is still in the mail, as is a 14" tom. yay!

Posted by G-Sides

Tired of Sex by Weezer. That riff will never get old.

It used to be Where Is My Mind by The Pixies but I've gotten sick of playing that one. :(

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting NegativeTrend:
Anyway, I have a problem with constantly playing Pink Floyd, Kansas, and King Crimson songs. Mostly easy but they sound so good.

I worked out the chord progression for 'Breathe' a while back and I used to just jam around on that. I saw a doco where Gilmour played it electrically, using a whammy bar, so I was kind of trying to replicate that.

Posted by sabre

Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies. I play the riff from it all the time. D: Asides that, I've been playing the first two parts of Rush - 2112 disproportionately frequently.

Posted by Axis

Megadeth -- Back In The Day. Just can't stop playing it for some reason.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Irrelevant: Metropolis Pt. 1 by Dream Theater. It's one of my favourite songs and the drumming is fantastic, especially in the instrumental section, which seems simple to me now.

In other news, my second bass drum came in today. My second pedal is still in the mail, as is a 14" tom. yay!

You'd love my drummer. He's more thrash/doom/black metal oriented, but he's learning his jazz drumming now, and he's friggin crazy. :)

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting MetalVox~55: You'd love my drummer. He's more thrash/doom/black metal oriented, but he's learning his jazz drumming now, and he's friggin crazy. :)

Jazz can be hard as hell to play, especially certain elements of jazz fusion. I'm learning that right now, the highhat timing and awkward feeling drum fills can screw with the mind.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Jazz can be hard as hell to play, especially certain elements of jazz fusion. I'm learning that right now, the highhat timing and awkward feeling drum fills can screw with the mind.

you try jamming with an uncertain time signature with a drummer that does such "experimental" things as

"ok, whenever I hit my floor tom, the time signature is gonna shift to 5/4, but when I double hit my hi-hat, switch it to 3/8"

"O_o...wtf do you want me to play, Matt?"

"...I dunno, Jazz? Just follow me!"

":mad: god i hate drummers"

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: You'd love my drummer. He's more thrash/doom/black metal oriented, but he's learning his jazz drumming now, and he's friggin crazy. :)

The more brutal death drumming, the better. :) Less of everything else, though.

...what does doom metal drumming have to do with thrash/black metal, anyway?

I just have to keep playing the guitar solos from Fade To Black (opening), Crazy Train (as well as possible) and Another Day.

Posted by The Ripley

Holiday-Green Day (Bass solos rock)
American Idiot
Longiview

Back in Black- AC/DC
You Shook me all Night Long
Thunderstruck
High Voltage
Too many from AC/DC

Metallica- Anesthesia Bass solo, Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, Four Horseman, Ride the Lightening.

LedZep
Black Dog
Whole Lotta Love

I would type more, but my fingers are tired from bass playing

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting MetalVox~55: you try jamming with an uncertain time signature with a drummer that does such "experimental" things as

"ok, whenever I hit my floor tom, the time signature is gonna shift to 5/4, but when I double hit my hi-hat, switch it to 3/8"

"O_o...wtf do you want me to play, Matt?"

"...I dunno, Jazz? Just follow me!"

":mad: god i hate drummers"

Isn't the drummer supposed to follow the guitarist...?o_0

Posted by Porcupine

As a guitarist I generally use drummers as metronomes, so I kinda doubt it.

And I keep playing this song I wrote for the band and Blue by Eiffel 65. XD

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Porcupine: As a guitarist I generally use drummers as metronomes, so I kinda doubt it.

And I keep playing this song I wrote for the band and Blue by Eiffel 65. XD

I see. I usually follow the guitar though. Then I record it then just listen to it and try and find places to add cool drum fills and try and make it as technical as possible without sounding like crap.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Isn't the drummer supposed to follow the guitarist...?o_0

no. The guitarist makes up the riff in the beginning and brings it to the drummer. the drummer sets the time, and the guitarist puts the riff into the time the drummer sets.

or if the drummer makes up a beat, the guitarist follows accordingly.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting The Ripley: Holiday-Green Day (Bass solos rock)

Hah, that's not much of a solo. Good bass solos = The Dance Of Eternity or The Ytse Jam by Dream Theater, and... basically anything by Billy Sheehan (especially I'm The Hell Outta Here from G3 Live In Denver).

Anyone who can find a reason not to recommend Dream Theater bass solos to a bassist is welcome to post it.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Richaod: Anyone who can find a reason not to recommend Dream Theater bass solos to a bassist is welcome to post it.

Billy Sheehan > John Myung. Nuff said.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: Billy Sheehan > John Myung. Nuff said.

I've only heard that one solo from G3 Live In Denver, but it r0x0rz. I'm trying to get his Compression album too, but it's too hard to find... :(

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod: Anyone who can find a reason not to recommend Dream Theater bass solos to a bassist is welcome to post it.
How about the fact that most of them are about two seconds long? Asides the two you mentioned, it's difficult to think of many lengthy bass solos in DT songs. JM's bass lines are very good and very skilful, but you really can't call him a soloist in the studio without lying through your teeth.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog: How about the fact that most of them are about two seconds long? Asides the two you mentioned, it's difficult to think of many lengthy bass solos in DT songs. JM's bass lines are very good and very skilful, but you really can't call him a soloist in the studio without lying through your teeth.

You certainly can't, but hey, they're still good examples of what he can do.

Green Day, anyone?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I used to play 'To Zanarkand' on the piano all the time. For awhile, it was my most played song. Even now, I'll play it every once in awhile. I really need to start playing more again, anyways. And composing. :cool:

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Sabredog: How about the fact that most of them are about two seconds long? Asides the two you mentioned, it's difficult to think of many lengthy bass solos in DT songs. JM's bass lines are very good and very skilful, but you really can't call him a soloist in the studio without lying through your teeth.

For the win.

Posted by Burn

come as you are-nirvana
xxplosive-dr dre