A whole lot of gameboys...

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy Micro...

When do they stop? Sure, the SP is different than the original GBA, but I don't know... I figured that the DS was Nintendo's first step in taking handhelds in a new direction, but then the GB Micro is released, and it seems as though this is capable of the same things as the GBA and the GBA SP, only smaller...

So what do you think about this whole gameboy thing?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I think you forgot a few. Like, three or so.

Either way, I have them all but the Gameboy Lite or whatever it is. And I'll probably keep buying them. I approve of their existance.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I just think it sucks that these new machines aren't really capable of much more, but they're more expensive, and they're the new thing, so everyone wants them.

Posted by CS Ryan

He forgot the GameBoy Pocket.

Here are mine:
GameBoy
GameBoy Pocket
TWO GameBoy Advances
DS-you can count that right?

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Fei-on]I just think it sucks that these new machines aren't really capable of much more, but they're more expensive, and they're the new thing, so everyone wants them.

Every time I've gotten a Gameboy, it seems like a big change to me. The average cost has remained about the same though- $100. The increase in cost for the DS- $25- isn't that much, and is mainly because there is a huge difference between them.

The Nintendo DS is not a GameBoy. It doesn't have it in the name, and there is a good reason why- it's bigger. The Micros smaller size warrants it the title of a GameBoy. It should cost no more than $50, though.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

No, I know that the DS isn't a gameboy. You can play GBA games on it, but other than, no connection.

I just think that Nintendo has milked the Gameboy cow long enough. You know, stop making them, already. I mean, they revamped the NES once, and then retired it. And I'd rather see more NES's than Gameboys.

Posted by GameMiestro

I think the DS may have marked the end of the GameBoy dynasty. I really doubt it would be economically sensible to create another one.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Um, the Gameboy micro comes after the DS in the line of Nintendo Handhelds.

Quoted post: I just think that Nintendo has milked the Gameboy cow long enough. You know, stop making them, already. I mean, they revamped the NES once, and then retired it. And I'd rather see more NES's than Gameboys.

Why? Dropping the line could potentially kill Nintendo. They make SOME money off of the GC, but not much. It's the Gameboy that keeps them afloat.

Plus, look at all the great games that have come out for it and still do. Look at how many people still want and continue to buy a Gameboy. It's pretty incredible. There's really no reason for them to drop the handhelds.

And evey GB has been an upgrade in some way. Just like the SNES was an upgrade to the NES, and how the N64 was an upgrade to that. If you want Nintendo to stop "milking" the Gameboy because all they are are small upgrades of the last, they might as well stop making consoles too, since that's exactly what they are, small upgrades of the last console before it.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Fei-on]Um, the Gameboy micro comes after the DS in the line of Nintendo Handhelds.

However, the Micro is not a seperate Gameboy generation in itself, so you really can't count it as the "new gameboy".

The DS should be the considered as a continuation of Nintendo's handheld line. Just because it doesn't have the word "GameBoy" on it doesn't mean it wont sell.

Posted by Luigi182

Well, nintendo has said that the DS and GB were 2 seperate "pillars" of their strategy. As of late, it seems so. DS games are more for innovative stuffs like Nintendogs, while GBA are more for traditional portable gaming.

People tend to forget the "3 pillar" strategy of Nintendo. But, it does really bother me that alot of people are thinking that the DS is the "newest" Gameboy. Because at that rate, when Nintendo does come out with the next gen. Gameboy and it doesn't have the 2 screens, microphone, etc., people are gonna be ****ed.

Besides, doesn't the micro only play GBA games? That's what's stopping me from buying it. I still like to play my old Gameboy games from time to time.

Posted by GameMiestro

There isn't ANYTHING a Micro can do that a DS cant. Except those stupid faceplates.

Posted by muffla

yea get losed in your shoe

Posted by The Ripley

Little kids could choke on it.

Posted by Random

The Gameboy thing is completely rediculous. It's a way for Nintendo to rip people off. 5-6 years ago they released the pocket, 4-5 years ago they released the color, 3-4 years ago they released the advance, 2-3 years ago they released the sp, 1-2 years they released the DS, this year the Micro..

WTF? Seriously.. I owned the original, Gameboy Pocket, Color, Advance then SP. Thats when I called it quits.. Ok so the DS isn't a Gameboy, but it's a handheld nintendo released. Not to mention the micro coming out. It's rediculous. I'm not buying a Nintendo handheld til they can stick to one for at least 3 or 4 years.

Quoted post: 5-6 years ago they released the pocket

Before that they released a smaller version of the original GB.

Posted by Random

Mother F*ckers... I Swear I will never buy a Nintendo handheld again. This just P*sses me off..

... why?

You know you don't have to buy them the new additions, right? The only time you'd have to is when they bring out a new cart or something.

Posted by Random

But heres the thing. They seem to fail to make the first system great. Why have a GBA when the GBA SP is far superior? y'know what I mean? I'm sure they thought about making the SP while the GBA was in development.

I'm just a little upset that Nintendo does this. I've only sold 1 Micro since it's release. It's even worse than the N-Gages release where I work which sold 2 units. However the person who bought the micro didn't realize that it played GBA games. There are a lot of people who ask me for opinions and what not on consoles because they know NOTHING. Nintendo is banking off people like that.

Gah.. Gotta make sales someway right? even if it's taking advantage of people..

Quoted post: They seem to fail to make the first system great. Why have a GBA when the GBA SP is far superior?

Because it was too expensive at the time. As technology becomes cheaper and smaller, they can implement them into new systems.

Posted by Random

Even if it was a little more expensive, it would have saved people who played it seroiusly some good bit of cash with the whole built in batter thing. It couldn't have costed too much, after all the GBA was out for a year if that when the SP was released.

A lot can change in a year. Just look at the PS2 and GC. What wasn't possibly a year ago is very possible now. Assuming you want to make it affordable.

And of course they could have waited that one year... but why? They know they'll make tons of cash off of the GBA and even more when the SP comes out. So why not?

Posted by Random

I just don't really care for anyone taking advantage of people. There are people who know nothing about gaming consoles that swear to me left and right about how godly the PS2 is, then when I ask them what great games there are, they normally end up mentioning a Game thats on Xbox or Gamecube to begin with. Then they tell me that the PS2 lasts longer than either the XBox or Gamecube and thats its more durable. Some people are truly retarded..

People will buy into the Micro not knowing that it's a fricken GBA. The SP is far better than the micro anyways. I can't play the micro without my hands actually cramping up. I tried.. It doesn't work.. Maybe for wee kids but not for someone like me. Blah.. sry now i'm just complaining. It was a cruddy launch to begin with..

Funny, I found my hands cramped LESS while playing the Micro.

Though I play neither... I just end up using my DS to play GBA games.

Posted by Random

ok well maybe my hands are freakishly large but my hands were extremley cramped. and my hands aren't freakishly large :-P Larger than average I suppose but i'm not 7 feet tall. Just 6'3".

Posted by Seres Aran

I don't fully understand what's being discussed here... but, I think the micro is a waste. I really do. But, since I think of everyone, I say more power to the people who have never owned a GBA and now hae the chance to get a sleek, new one. I don't believe, however, that they should discontinue making GBA games. If you have a good GBA game with a lot of replay value, it's lots of fun to just sit there and play. Ya' know what I mean? Also, just for educational purposes... the DS is not like a second gameboy advance. Nintendo will keep making games for each. It's just like having two system out at the same time... o.O

Posted by Random

Yes well I work in game retail and I've heard plenty of complaints about how many Gameboys there are as of recent. Infact Nintendo I think maybe have a rather poor holiday season with their handhelds. Sonys PSP has been a huge holiday seller already compared to the Nintendo DS. We're selling PSPs over DS's on a ratio of 3 to 1 as of right now. We're out of PSPs currently and have to wait for more shipments. Now i'm certain that it's not the same in every area, but I think perhaps nintendo could have a rather poor holiday season. Nintendo needs to stick to 1 handheld for at least 4 years to keep the fanbase they have. Otherwise it could be a costly mistake.