Wireless Compatibility for Dual-Handheld Owners

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Yes, we all know the the DS is going online, and that the PSP does also, and it's great. But what about those of us that own both of the handhelds? Will the Nintendo USB adaptor work with the PSP as well? Will the DS work with other wireless adaptors that the PSP supports?

Essentially, is there an adaptor I can buy that will enable me to use both of my handhelds online wirelessly (not at the same time, of course), without having to shell out for different ones for each system?

This thread has also been posted on the PSP board, and if there's a better place for an amalgamated thread, someone please shove it there.

Posted by Speedfreak

All the nintendo adapter is is a wireless access point that only works with DS. Get a regular wireless acces point and you could use both at the same time.

That's what I thought - but I've heard murmurings about some wireless cards/USB sticks not being compatible with one/the other.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not public access points, no. Your DS won't know the password to get onto the network, which is why you have to bring a laptop with a wi-fi card in aswell, and link your DS to the network through it.

However, some public access points do recognise DSs, like McDonalds will do in the US, and the wi-fi pods in game stores.

Okay. I knew that, and it's not what I asked, but whatever.

To clarify: What wireless cards or USB sticks will allow me, when connected to my PC, to use my PSP and DS through them, assuming I already have a broadband connection to my PC, if any?

See, I want to prevent having to buy two cards/adaptors.

Posted by Speedfreak

...all of them.

So there's no difference between b and g, or anything?

Seriously. Rumours about some not being compatible.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings: But what about those of us that own both of the handhelds? Will the Nintendo USB adaptor work with the PSP as well? Will the DS work with other wireless adaptors that the PSP supports?

Essentially, is there an adaptor I can buy that will enable me to use both of my handhelds online wirelessly (not at the same time, of course), without having to shell out for different ones for each system?

Ok, I get where you are coming from. My guess is that Nintendo's adapter will only work with the DS, although we won't know until it comes out. From what I can gather, if you have a wireless router, you should just be able to use that with both the PSP and DS. If you have that, you won't need the Nintendo USB stick. That is only for those who don't have a wireless router already. What that adapter does is share the internet connection from your PC wirelessly with your DS.

Quoting Wings: To clarify: What wireless cards or USB sticks will allow me, when connected to my PC, to use my PSP and DS through them, assuming I already have a broadband connection to my PC, if any?

There are Wireless USB adapters from [url=http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1129067566905&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper]Linksys[/url], but I am not sure if they share internet connection from your PC or not.

The "rumors" that you hear about might be pertaining to the DS. The DS will not work with WPA encrypted networks, only older WEP encryption. Oh, and B/G are compatable with each other.

What kind of internet do you have BTW? If you have broadband, go ahead and get a broadband router. This will set you back about 60-70 bucks. If you don't have broadband, then you might as well go to McDonalds :(

[URL="http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1127782957298&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper"]This is what I have.[/URL]

[QUOTE=Protoman]My guess is that Nintendo's adapter will only work with the DS, although we won't know until it comes out. From what I can gather, if you have a wireless router, you should just be able to use that with both the PSP and DS. If you have that, you won't need the Nintendo USB stick. That is only for those who don't have a wireless router already. What that adapter does is share the internet connection from your PC wirelessly with your DS.
That's my thoughts exactly, but I wasn't sure - it's nice to hear from someone else who thinks from the same direction.

[quote]The "rumors" that you hear about might be pertaining to the DS. The DS will not work with WPA encrypted networks, only older WEP encryption.
Yeah, I got that from all the difficulties the tunneling sites were having.

I do have broadband, but I was hoping to to have to fiddle about with network settings again - I'm on a student pilot scheme, and the connection only works with my current card's MAC address, so I'd have to set it all up again. Not only that, but I thought if I had a wireless USB stick I could just configure it to allow pass-through connections, making my PC a host machine for the other devices on the network - the DS and PSP.

I guess I could get a cheap router. I mean, I don't need a huge range or anything, as I won't be more than 10m away from it at any point when playing. And I can't go to McDonalds - I'm in England, remember, and AFAIK Nintendo didn't sign a deal with the English wing of the company.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings:
And I can't go to McDonalds - I'm in England, remember, and AFAIK Nintendo didn't sign a deal with the English wing of the company.

I am sorry, I actually didn't know that.

Quoting Wings: I do have broadband, but I was hoping to to have to fiddle about with network settings again - I'm on a student pilot scheme, and the connection only works with my current card's MAC address, so I'd have to set it all up again.

I see... so you do have a wireless router? Or does your connection go from yoru modem to the computer?

Quoting Wings: Not only that, but I thought if I had a wireless USB stick I could just configure it to allow pass-through connections, making my PC a host machine for the other devices on the network - the DS and PSP.

That is possible for PC's, it's called Ad Hoc, but I don't know if what you want to do is possible with PSP and DS. They will recognize the signal from the router, but I don't know if it would recognize the signal from the [URL="http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1129067566905&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper"]Wireless USB adapter[/URL], or not.

I don't even have a broadband modem here. It's some crazy setup that they run in my halls - I assume there's just a central router, connected to the modem, which then comes through the walls and out into my PC. It's free, so I don't complain too much. From my viewpoint the cable from my ethernet card just runs straight into the wall.

What I want to do is use a non-Nintendo brand USB adapter to work like the Nintendo one does, but still allow PSP connections.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings: I don't even have a broadband modem here. It's some crazy setup that they run in my halls - I assume there's just a central router, connected to the modem, which then comes through the walls and out into my PC. It's free, so I don't complain too much. From my viewpoint the cable from my ethernet card just runs straight into the wall.

OK! Now we are going places. Is there other ethernet ports in your walls that aren't being used? If so, then maybe what you want, like Speedfreak said, is an [URL="http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1126536803676&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper"]access point[/URL] which would share your connection wirelessly. If you don't then just go with a wireless router and plug you internet into it, and then from there hard wire to your computer, then you should be able to share your connection.

Quoting Wings: What I want to do is use a non-Nintendo brand USB adapter to work like the Nintendo one does, but still allow PSP connections.

I got that from your first post. I don't know if they make a non-Nintendo brand USB adapter that works like Nintendo's. Like I said, they do make wireless USB adapters, but I don't know if they can share with the PSP and DS. You could, go that route and just try it but only if your that brave.

I don't have any more wall ports. I can't run into a router because my Internet connection requires my card's MAC address, and surely the router would have its own.

Wouldn't ICS just enable the wireless USB stick to connect to both?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings: I don't have any more wall ports. I can't run into a router because my Internet connection requires my card's MAC address, and surely the router would have its own.

Yes the router does have it's own MAC. As for your internet connection requiring your MAC address, that's weird. I guess instead of your PC's MAC address, you would give it the router's MAC. If running a wireless router is not an option, it's a mute point.

Quoting Wings: Wouldn't ICS just enable the wireless USB stick to connect to both?

It might. Infact maybe you do want to go with that USB adapter I showed you. The reason I caution you though is because I just don't know if ICS would allow for DS and PSP to pick up the internet connection from the USB adapter. In theory, it should work, but I myself am not 100% sure.

[QUOTE=Protoman]that's weird.
I know.
[quote]If running a wireless router is not an option, it's a mute point.
Uhh... a moot point. :P

Now, you see, I KNOW that in theory ICS should work... I'm looking for someone who knows for sure...

Of course, before launch it's not a certainty, so I guess this whole thread is moot anyway. At least I've learned that there are other people's opinions that match mine, so it can't be completely wrong.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings:
Now, you see, I KNOW that in theory ICS should work... I'm looking for someone who knows for sure...

Of course, before launch it's not a certainty, so I guess this whole thread is moot anyway. At least I've learned that there are other people's opinions that match mine, so it can't be completely wrong.

Well I hope that I was at least of some help. Your right though, until launch, nobody really knows anything. So I guess now, all we can do is wait.

Posted by Speedfreak

Aw crap, I forgot you're in a hall. Firewalls will probably prevent you from playing at a decent speed anyway. :-/

I dunno. I pull down about a meg download speed - never checked upload speed, but i'll do that on Sunday evening. I don't think I'll have a huge problem. They allow Internet gaming and such. The only thing I've had problems with is filesharing, and I won't complain too much about not being able to do something illegal, of course. Because I'm happy not to have the temptation. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

Have you actually tried online gaming with it, though? Try a regular PC game beforehand.