what about the oddesy people?

Posted by rudybaga2

why does no one reconize that the oddesy was the first game console ever made.it might have been sucky and it might not been as good as the atari or the NES but still no one gives it any credit and i dont care if it was created by a german you never hear about it

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Who said they didn't recognize it as the first game console ever created?

Besides, most of us were not even born when the Odyssey was released. It's 14 years older than me, and probably a bit more for most of you. The first console I ever had was the Intellivision, and that's all I knew about until I got my NES. And if it were possible, I'd pick up a working Odyssey today, but it's not.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting rudybaga2: you never hear about it

You never heara bout it becuase its largley irrelevant. Heck, I rarely hear about the NES. But is it becuaes its some poor forgotten discarded console? NO, its becuase it is no longer relevant to todays technology. Aside from this place, I honestly cant remember the last time I talked about teh Nes. Heck, the current systems are all I've had an occasion to talk about for quite some time.

So stop whining about how you never hear about it. Its doesnt matter; thats why you dont hear about it.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Lord of Spam: You never heara bout it becuase its largley irrelevant. Heck, I rarely hear about the NES. But is it becuaes its some poor forgotten discarded console? NO, its becuase it is no longer relevant to todays technology. Aside from this place, I honestly cant remember the last time I talked about teh Nes. Heck, the current systems are all I've had an occasion to talk about for quite some time.

So stop whining about how you never hear about it. Its doesnt matter; thats why you dont hear about it.

Revolution.

Posted by Proto Man

Not to knock the Odyssey, but the system didn't even have real game cartridges. Sure it had those "game cards", but all they did was alter electronic flow so what appeared on the screen was somewhat different. The cards themselves never had anything on them. That and the system used overlays. The systems to succeed it though DID have real game cartridges, containing different, unique games other than just variations of table tennis.

Anyhow, yes, the Odyssey WAS important for being the first console, and it did have the first Light Gun peripheral. Another important fact is that it was what made Nintendo get into videogames because they distributed the Odyssey for Magnavox in Japan. It's not exciting enough for me to go out and buy one and play it. You talk like as if it were something with great games for the playing. IF I were to get one, it would sit in my collection as a conversation piece.

Posted by rudybaga2

well i just got mad because i went to the mall and in spencers and in hottopic(which i never go in but i saw gaming shirts and i will never go in again) i saw a shirt that had the NES controller and it said stay true to you roots.and then they had one with atari what real gamers play with...im sorry my first atari had so many buttons i couldnt evan play with it .now every talks about emulators these days stupid posers cant go to a flea market and buy the system with 10 games for $5 iv been threw 6 snes within the past year.i mean i still play GBA and i still have a ps2(but i sold them cause i needed the money.and all i wanted it for was for san andreas and burnout revenge)well im sorry for creating this thread i will not ramble on sence i always get defted any ways

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting rudybaga2: why does no one reconize that the oddesy was the first game console ever made.it might have been sucky and it might not been as good as the atari or the NES but still no one gives it any credit and i dont care if it was created by a german you never hear about it

The problem with the Oddessy is that it didn't really do anything for the gaming world. When the NES came out, it was huge. Seriously, everyone had an NES at some point or another. NES games were diverse, and incredibly fun. The Oddessy was a good machine for its time, but not well planned upon its launch.

My brother actually has four Oddessy's, still in the box. He got them from the Salvation Army.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting rudybaga2: i saw a shirt that had the NES controller and it said stay true to you roots.and then they had one with atari what real gamers play with...

Like Fe-ion said, the NES was huge! So was the Atari, infact just about any adult you talk to in their 30's and even 40's may have played an Atari. Those two systems are what made gaming today. Yes Odyssey made a door, but Atari opened that door, and NES took us through that door. What's so upsetting about seeing those shirts? Those were the systems that made the impact, and I am sorry, but while the Odyssey is important to some degree, it did not make the impact.

Quoting rudybaga2: im sorry my first atari had so many buttons i couldnt evan play with it.

What the heck are you talking about? The Atari 2600 only had ONE BUTTON! It used Joysticks for crying out loud! Unless you had an Atari 5200, because that did have more buttons, but still, even the most complicated Atari controller is more simple than a PS2 controller. I seriously don't see where your coming from.

Quoting rudybaga2: now every talks about emulators these days stupid posers cant go to a flea market and buy the system with 10 games for $5 iv been threw 6 snes within the past year.i mean i still play GBA and i still have a ps2(but i sold them cause i needed the money.and all i wanted it for was for san andreas and burnout revenge)well im sorry for creating this thread i will not ramble on sence i always get defted any ways

Who said anything about emulators? Plus why would anyone want to sell their SNES for San Andreas? That's just crazy. Next time you make a thread man, you need to have a better point, and better spelling, I am sorry, but that's how it is.

Posted by Zabuza

I just notice that my dad has an oddesy but I never play it and I also have an atari but I don't remeber what type it is, I'll have to go check...

Posted by rudybaga2

lol i just found mind..my uncle gave it to my dad and when we were cleaning i found it and it still works a little dusty but still works..love the avs man i watch that show every day it comes on

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting rudybaga2: why does no one reconize that the oddesy was the first game console ever made.it might have been sucky and it might not been as good as the atari or the NES but still no one gives it any credit and i dont care if it was created by a german you never hear about it

Lol, not to be mean or anything, but I bet your a 10 year old that just saw the G4 Icons presentation about Ralph Bayer "the inventor" of the Oddesy.

Am I right?

Posted by ZEN

Here's a really nice historial on the Magnavox Odyssey...
http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm

The reason why many gamers don't discuss the Odyssey much today is primarily for the same reasons why modern automotive forums don't have a whole lot of talk about the "Model T".

Sure it was a groundbreaking leap forward for the invention of a brand new medium (and I respect it for that), but there wasn't too much in the form of "gaming" going there. It was a very primitive system that displayed monochrome rectangles for visuals and didn't even have sound or even the ability to keep score. Certainly a far cry from the sensory overload we get from many games now.
Most of the games consisting of various versions of 'Pong' type contests and "tag" with moving squares.

So that's the reason why the Odyssey gets "no attention". It's not that anyone really despises it - it's just not much of a topic of conversation (at least not for gaming).
As for "history", I always find such things compelling.

Oh, and it gets plenty of recognition for being the "first console ever made". In fact, that's it's biggest claim to fame.

And Ralph Baer totally rocks!