PS2 with teh memory cards. HELP

Posted by Minx

Ok, Iv got a slim line PS2. Should memory cards from the original very first playstation work in them? I put it in and it says there is no data avaliable yet when I put it into a PS1, it shows like normal.

I need you to help me with this as my boyfriend is saying my PS2 is broken and it cost alot of money so i dont want to think that.

Posted by Bebop

From what i heard you can't use PS1 memory cards on a PS2 console and you can't use a PS2 memory card on a PS1 console.

It's not your PS2, it's your memory card.

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Bebop: From what i heard you can't use PS1 memory cards on a PS2 console.

Not strictly true. You can use them for PSX games only, they're not entirely unusable

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

You can also store PS1 game saves on a PS2 card, but cannot access them in game. Alas, I do not own the slim version, but that is strange. There shouldn't be a problem, as far as I know...Are you trying to save PS2 data on the PS1 memory card?

Posted by Boner

The way I understand it, the new slimline models of the PS2 are not backwards compatible with some of the older PS games. Maybe the same holds true to the memory cards as well? I can't tell you for sure. I have not tried it. This could be the case though.

Posted by Nizmo

Quoting Opeth: The way I understand it, the new slimline models of the PS2 are not backwards compatible with some of the older PS games.

Right. A few of my PSOne games are fully functional on my PSOne but when inserted into the PS2, they do not play. A couple of examples are games such as Alien Trilogy and Tai' Fu: Wrath of the Tiger. I'm not certain, but I don't think any of my PS memory cards worked on my original PS2, let alone the slim version.

Posted by Boner

Actually, my PS one memory cards did work on my old PS2. I just tried it with the slimline version. No dice.

Posted by Early Demise

PS1 memory cards work on PS2's as well as PS1 games, but PS2 memory cards do not work on PS1's. This is true because the only way to save data from a PS1 game that you are using on your PS2 is by saving it to a PS1 memeory card. I remember because I had to go out and buy a new one because I couldn't save PS1 game data on a PS2 memory card for my PS2.

Posted by Crazy K

Yes you can use the PS1 memory cards on your PS2 (only for PS games) PS2 memory cards can store the files but like another person said can not be read. You cannot copy PS2 files and put them onto the PS1 memory cards. Also PS2 memory cards do not work in your PS1 system.

Also if you have files on your PS1 memory card and it works on the PS1, then there should not be a problem. If your Slim PS2 cant read the PS1 memory card then I believe its the PS2 and not the Memory card.

Posted by Minx

i knew that but it wont even load the data for some of my ps1 memory cards, for some others it will

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Hmm... so what you're saying is that the slimline PS2 is even less compatible with the PS1 generation than before?

EDIT: Get a replacement. After a quick Google it seems that there's a fault with a small number of PStwos that means they don't load PS1 memory cards etc. Contact Sony directly - it should be covered in the warranty under 'defects in functionality and workmanship' or something.

http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/42280.html