Edge: DualShock and 360 old-fashioned.

Posted by Speedfreak

A poster at Revo-Europe had this to say about the latest issue of Edge Magazine. Edge is not only the UKs equivalent, but the entire western culture's equivalent of Famitsu in the eyes of Japanese game fanatics.

[quote]I am an subscriber to Edge, and I received the latest issue in this mornings post.

Edge is well respected UK mutilformat videogames magazine which has been going for well over 10 years.

In this issue Edge has a detailed write up of the Revolution controller at TGS. They where one of the few people in the world to get there hands on the controller before TGS

Here are some extracts that I thought you might be interested in reading

“Unthreatening and uncomplicated, it begs to be picked up. And when it is its almost impossible to put down.”

“There’s a soft rubbery finish on the pad and buttons surface, meaning although the handset looks hard, sharp-edged and slippery, the sensation of holding it is effortless”

“This controller makes you fell like a magician, becoming so settled in your hand there might as well be nothing there”

“The controller makes it instantly apparent how much of a cheap fudge the 3D controls of the last two generations has been”

“There’s no immediate reason to believe that playing with Revolution will need to be any more playing with a mouse: rest your arm on your knee of sofa (couch) arm, and direct the action with gentle tilts and turns”

And last my fav

Returning to TGS’s showflow after playing the demos is a faintly surreal process. Suddenly, the 360 looks incredibly old-fashioned. Picking up a DualShock for a quick play of Rogue Galaxy seems preposterous”.

There is also a free DVD in this issue, something to do with TGS.

There has yet to be a single negative comment about Revolution hardware by anyone who has actually experienced it, which is more than can be said for what people have experienced of both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Oh, and here's the front cover:

Posted by Luigi182

Intersting, you know, the more comments I see about this away from froums (i.e. from articles from editors who have used the thing to impressions from r/l friends who see it) the more positive I feel about this. I've gotta feeling Nintendo may be on to something here.

Posted by Random

I'm still a doubter. I need to try it before I believe its any good. You people around here jump to conclusions way too soon. All I hear is either "Oh the Rev's controller sucks" or "its the greatest thing since sliced bread."

WE HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET!!! IT MAY SUCK OR IT MAYBE GREAT. I wish people would stop being biased one way or the other. Jeez oh man... Sorry to get all douche bag about it but **** you people c'mon.. This is like the 66th thread about it too.. (not literally)

Oh and.. Edge Magazine still exists? Haven't seen that in a super long time. I used to subscribe when the SNES/Genesis were out. I haven't seen an Edge Magazine in probably 8 years.

Posted by Speedfreak

Well, Edge is a UK magazine, so I wouldn't think it'd pop up very often in the US :p

Posted by nich

Thats pretty cool. I've never heard of Edge but if you say they are what they are then, awesome. its true I have yet to see a negative comment about the controller from those who actually used it. Just think, if everyone was so impressed with the crappy demos they had at TGS, then playing actuall games must be fantastic. And SomebodyRandom it's hard not to jump to conclusions when hearing from every media personnel whos touched the thing are saying nothing but good things. Although I do see where your coming from but its the same as anything else with the majority of people, you buy easilly into the hype and thats just the way it is.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

There were no negative comments about the GAMECUBE's controller either, before the system was released. Then it came out and despite how infinitely more comfortable it is than anything before or since, anti-Nintendo fanboys have still invented plenty of mud to sling at it.

Nintendo could invent a $250 Star Trek Holodeck with free in-home installation and people would still buy more playstation 3s to hook up to their TVs.

Posted by Linko_16

[quote=Edge]Returning to TGS’s showflow after playing the demos is a faintly surreal process. Suddenly, the 360 looks incredibly old-fashioned. Picking up a DualShock for a quick play of Rogue Galaxy seems preposterous.

Glad to hear it finally recognized in a competent magazine.

Posted by Axis

Good news for the Revolution. That's also the first time that I heard something bad about the 360 controller.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: That's also the first time that I heard something bad about the 360 controller.

The only bad thing I've heard about it is that it's "the same thing as the Xbox controller".

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Axis]Good news for the Revolution. That's also the first time that I heard something bad about the 360 controller.

Not just the controller but all the hardware in general. I've heard a few complaints about things like image quality from people who have played on 360s.

Posted by Random

Quoting Speedfreak: Well, Edge is a UK magazine, so I wouldn't think it'd pop up very often in the US :p

Wait it couldn't have always been just a UK Magazine. Not unless I just managed to subscribe and see it here and there in the U.S.

Posted by Speedfreak

No, it's always been a UK magazine. It's just popular enough to be seen in the US in a few places. Like FHM.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yum, good news. I was positive the controller would feel good, though, after using Gamecube's controller.
And I don't see how Gamecube's controller is bad...

Posted by Speedfreak

Because it's different to the dual shock. That's the only reason people tend to give. That and "it's too small", which doesn't make much sense as the dual shock is actually smaller.

Posted by Drewboy64

wow, that's pretty stupid. I thought one complaint was it didnt go wellw ith fighting games or something. I also heard someone say the face buttons are bad, which to me is weird. I think the X-box controller's face buttons are bad, because they're rounded and small, so they're hard to press or use as a main control function.
Anyhow, I'm glad a reliable source gave it good comments.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Not just the controller but all the hardware in general. I've heard a few complaints about things like image quality from people who have played on 360s.

Developers are also complaining about compression issues...

Posted by Axis

Microsoft should've gone with the HD-DVD format.

Posted by Bebop

Although I'd say Edge is one of the most respected and 'correct' magazines I don't read it because it has too many big words :(

Posted by Echo

Quoting SomebodyRandom: I wish people would stop being biased one way or the other.

STFU HPK!

Anywho, sounds great. Before recently I was actually considering not buying Nintendo's console first, but now I'm set on it. I can't wait to use that controller.

Posted by BEZ1

I'm almost sold on the controller. Almost

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Axis: Microsoft should've gone with the HD-DVD format.

I thought they already were? Or maybe you mean Blu-Ray? Someone enlighten me.

I was going to buy it at Victoria on sunday, but it was

Posted by Speedfreak

They're using regular DVDs. How are you buying it on sunday when it's not out till next month?

Posted by Klarth

Er, because it was kind of on the rack? Edge seem to have this habit of releasing the January issue in December and so forth.

Go pick it up. It's in a polythene case with the dvd in a cardboard case, and it says "16" on both the dvd thing and the transparent case to show that it's got "content unsuitable for under sixteens".

See, I sh[color=3][/color]it you not.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The rev controller looks pure gold, but for some things I'm still going to want to use a "normal" controller.

Edit: Have we heard anything about durability? From what I know, motion sensors tend to be kinda fragile, so is this thing gonna be an easy smash, or what?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Klarth]Er, because it was kind of on the rack? Edge seem to have this habit of releasing the January issue in December and so forth.

Go pick it up. It's in a polythene case with the dvd in a cardboard case, and it says "16" on both the dvd thing and the transparent case to show that it's got "content unsuitable for under sixteens".

See, I **** you not.

Oh! Thought you were talking about Xbox 360 for some bizzare reason. 0_o

Posted by Klarth

Get some sleep. :P

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Lord of Spam: The rev controller looks pure gold, but for some things I'm still going to want to use a "normal" controller.

Edit: Have we heard anything about durability? From what I know, motion sensors tend to be kinda fragile, so is this thing gonna be an easy smash, or what?

Judging from previous Nintendo products, it's gonna be pretty durable.

Posted by Major Kitty

Speedfreak that was such a biased comment... no i think with the new technology Nintendo will pull this one off(and no it won't be fragile)... though I still think the GC wasn't all that great the Nintendo Rev. will be awesome... also lol is the joystick thing a preferability or will it HAVE to be used for some games?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Yeah, I just picked this issue up (I subscribed last month and forgot that I still have to get this month's issue before my subscription starts on the Christmas issue.)

I was very pleased with this article. It's exactly what I've thought about the Revolution controller for about two years, and it's good to see my beliefs finally backed up.

Posted by rex-tc

Carmack was saying that the same kind of gyro kind of controlls have been done with cellphones and the DS with not very good results. I'll have to wait and see once the system is closer to launch. I think the revolution will be eclipsed by the PS3 but that's my opinion.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting rex-tc: the same kind of gyro kind of controlls have been done with cellphones and the DS

Rubbish. The only thing that's come close was Wario Ware Twisted, and that worked very well.