Image Speed

Posted by misogenie

On the internet, I noticed that a computer image is loaded in a linear fashion - line by line. Would it be faster if the image is loaded in a clockwise spiral fashion? ( From top left corner straight across to right corner, then from there straight down to bottom right corner, then from there straight across to bottom left corner, then from there straight up to left corner on second row... this same thing keeps repeating until it accelerates as it reaches towards :eek: the center of the image).

Posted by Arczu

I notice this as well. There was a name fore the way they loaded, but I can't think of it right now.

The method you are describing... I'm trying to picture it, but can't quite see it. It might have something to do with an image being loaded with minimal information first, then re-loading it with the detail (It looks blurry at first, but as the page loads, it becomes clear).

Posted by higbvuyb

Of course not. it would still take the same time. why would it 'accelerate'?

Posted by Trigger

Files are always the same size regardless of how a person "loads" it. If it is 28KB for example, then it's always going to be 28KB for everyone and will download at the same speed as any other 28KB file, and their connection speed. Any "speed performances" you might think you see when it comes to how an image is loaded is purely illusion.

Posted by KoH

BUT... what if they were loaded in the reverse? I say that'd speed it up because it should open a time-rift reversing time on the computer. So therefore it seems faster. Like in that Superman movie.

Posted by higbvuyb

No, if time went backwards, it would be unloaded from your computer.