Can A Worse Guitarist Play a Better Solo Than a Better Guitarist?

Posted by Acheron

Let's settle this.

Posted by Fate

I think the whole question is incorrectly done.

"You have two guitarists. Both are in a band. One band sounds like utter **** . One band sounds great. Take both guitarists out of the bands. Take note that a band isn't just a guitarist.

Can the "worse" guitarist play a better solo than the "better" guitarist?"

Posted by Porcupine

XD!

Anywho, I say no.

If I remember what Fei-on or Richaod said at some point, that basically comes down to a worse guitarist under certain conditions could write a better solo.

Posted by Pit

No. A better guitarist obviously can play better in all means. *******S.

Posted by Fate

Quoting s0ul: You know, it would've been a legitimate statement if he hadn't worded it so retardedly.

Yep, pretty much in a nutshell.

Posted by Pit

As the worse guitarist, I do not think I can play a better solo that Metalvox.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I know what he means. If you take two solo's from two different bands (band A and B) and compare them you may eventually come across one solo from A that sounds better than B. And that solo may just be done by a guitarist whose skill is less than band B's guitarist.

But that's not saying A is the better guitarist, just in that one instance he played a better solo.

Which is a fairly stupid point to make.

Anyways, I'll say yes. Because I better guitarist doesn't always play great solos, while a worse guitarist doesn't always play ****ty solos. But the better guitarist is still the better guitarist.

Christ, this is retarded.

Edit: I didn't see the third option. That gets my vote.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Anymore threads on this will be deleted.

I voted for the third option. Guitar solos usually do nothing more than annoy me anyway.

Posted by sabre

The better guitarist, if truly a better guitarist, would be able to emulate the worse guitarist's solo. So, to -play- it, yes, the better guitarist could do all that and more. However, writing is a totally different matter.

But better and worse are such ambiguous terms that it's really impossible to argue, for both the guitarist and the solo, rendering the debate totally stupid. So I'm going to vote no for the record book, and "this debate needs to die" in spirit.

[edit: oops, accidentally voted yes. Changed vote to no.]

Posted by MetalVox~55

No. Flat out.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it depends. I think Yngwie Malsteen is a better soloist than say, Tony Iommi or Eric Clapton, but I also think that the latter two are better guitarists than Yngwie, because they are solid and did more for MUSIC than he did. I guess that's my take.

Posted by s0ul

I thought he meant more like, some average guy and some super rad guy are having primetime super guitarist duels, and the super rad guy can **** up once even if he is in fact better. That's just how I took it anyway, but I don't really know the context this argument is all about.

Posted by KMFDM

Well if you were to but up someone like Dimebag to one of these Emo bands he would blow them out of the water so I'll say no.

Except Dimebag is dead. So technically anyone is better than he is.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Vampiro: Except Dimebag is dead. So technically anyone is better than he is.

Incorrect. His music still lives, thus you can compare his solos from those cds to solos from tracks put out now-a-days.

Oh, of course. He just made it sound like it would be a head-to-head, live competition. So I just felt like poiting out othe obvious. If he worded it like "If you put Dimebag's work against...", I wouldn't have said a thing.

Posted by Richaod

It depends entirely on the definition of the word "better". Better in pure skill and speed, style, emotion, how much it adds to the song in question?

Going through the possible definitions... If two guitarists play the exact same solo and one is better than the other, it's highly doubtful that the worse one would come out on top... if there aren't any random outside factors like rabid subjectivity from the "judge".

Style? Fe-ion summed it up perfectly. What if someone can fingerpick better than him, but he can pick better normally? Who's better? The line's too blurred, quite simply. Genres also count - how about John Petrucci doing a bluegrass solo?

Emotion and songwriting; they're sort of mixed. Put Yngwie Malmsteen (seemingly) up against anyone (especially his Mr. Crowley solo vs. Randy Rhoads') and you'll see. Another example is the solo from the song Another Day vs. Stream of Consciousness' - one's clearly more emotional and better in songwriting than the other, while the other is clearly more skilful.

Summary: if it comes down to anything more than skill, it's probably too subjective for there to really be a "better". No one really cares anyway, least of all myself.

oh and s0ul, that's the exact opposite of what I meant. :) I definitely agree with the points made by Fate, Vampiro, Sabredog, Fe-ion and Bj though.

Now would be a good time to end it. And thanks for raising the topic, Acheron. :(

Posted by Shin_Akuma

There you go again with Stream of Consciousness, you know you didnt have to type all that. All you have to say is "i'm sorry, I was wrong" and nobody would care anymore. Just admit your wrong;)

Posted by sabre

Fe-ion, THE ION OF IRON.

Just curious, is the Fe-ion you're talking about positively or negatively charged?

Posted by Acheron

Quoting Richaod: And thanks for raising the topic, Acheron. :(

This is the best part of only occasionally coming to VGC. I can hurt Richaod's feelings all I want with no repercussions.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I've already expalined this.

If any of you are familiar with Chet Atkins, you'd know he's one of the most incredible finger-picking guitarists ever. The man is, by far, a better guitarist than I am.

However, if asked to play the solo from Metallica's "Master of Puppets", I'll bet that I could waste him on that.

There you have it. A worse guitarist can play a better solo than a better guitarist.

Match Chet and I up in a different kind of solo, and he'd waste me. But I'm sure that there is at least one solo out there that I can play more proficiently than he can, yet he's a better guitarist, overall.

Quoting Sabredog: Fe-ion, THE ION OF IRON.

Just curious, is the Fe-ion you're talking about positively or negatively charged?

Well, as a metal, I tend to be positively charged, because I'm likely to give an electron away to another atom, if they're mightier than I.

Quoting Acheron: This is the best part of only occasionally coming to VGC. I can hurt Richaod's feelings all I want with no repercussions.

Yeah, cause I'm sure you'd just be devastated if you had to witness the aftermath of your Richaod-bashing.

Posted by Crazy Canuck

Music is art. Outside the technical aspects of it there is no better or worse. It's a matter of appeal.

Posted by Bebop

Of course not. If one guitarist does not have as much skill as another, how can his skills be better? This debate it retarded.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

[quote=Bebop]Of course not. If one guitarist does not have as much skill as another, how can his skills be better? This debate it retarded.
[quote=Fei-on]I've already expalined this.

If any of you are familiar with Chet Atkins, you'd know he's one of the most incredible finger-picking guitarists ever. The man is, by far, a better guitarist than I am.

However, if asked to play the solo from Metallica's "Master of Puppets", I'll bet that I could waste him on that.

There you have it. A worse guitarist can play a better solo than a better guitarist.

Match Chet and I up in a different kind of solo, and he'd waste me. But I'm sure that there is at least one solo out there that I can play more proficiently than he can, yet he's a better guitarist, overall.

Posted by Bebop

When you say 'worst' guitarsit it implies that his skills in all forms of playing the instrument are inferior to the 'better' one.

Your example is purely opinion. You only state that a worse player can still do a better solo because you consider yourself the worse player. In someone elses eyes Chet could be the worse player and thereofre the answer is different.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Bebop: When you say 'worst' guitarsit it implies that his skills in all forms of playing the instrument are inferior to the 'better' one.

Your example is purely opinion. You only state that a worse player can still do a better solo because you consider yourself the worse player. In someone elses eyes Chet could be the worse player and thereofre the answer is different.

However, there is a possibility that any given human being could observe both Chet and myself playing the solo from MoP, with the foreknowledge that Chet Atkins is possibly the best fingerpicking guitarist that has ever lived, and afterward, determine that, in their individual estimation, the better guitarist failed to outperform the worse guitarist, merely in a facet of playing that was not the better's forte.

If you can accept that at least one person, somewhere one the earth, would draw that conclusion, the answer is yes, a worse guitarist can potentially play a better solo than a better guitarist. There are a lot of stipulations and other factors, but it is possible, based on that logic.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin_Akuma: There you go again with Stream of Consciousness, you know you didnt have to type all that. All you have to say is "i'm sorry, I was wrong" and nobody would care anymore. Just admit your wrong;)

I used Stream of Consciousness as a perfectly valid example. Would it be better to use totally obscure shred metal songs that nobody knows of?

And no, I'm not wrong. Feel free to disprove what I said, if you can. Oh, and people most definitely would care. They'd rant and complain and revive threads until the end of time like they're currently doing. I've already said that I don't particularly care for this issue, which really is a much better reason to end this so-called "debate".

[quote=Bebop]Your example is purely opinion. You only state that a worse player can still do a better solo because you consider yourself the worse player. In someone elses eyes Chet could be the worse player and thereofre the answer is different.
In terms of pure skill, you can measure it fairly objectively. No non-insane person is really going to think Chet would be the worse player overall. It's still pretty skewed though; not really based on whether or not people have different single opinions, but more because whatever criteria there is is extremely blurred.

And another thing; "can" means "may be able to", not "is able to".

Posted by rivercitytecmo

haha, you guys talk way too much about guitars here.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fei-on:
If you can accept that at least one person, somewhere one the earth, would draw that conclusion, the answer is yes, a worse guitarist can potentially play a better solo than a better guitarist. There are a lot of stipulations and other factors, but it is possible, based on that logic.

Hold the phone, can I not say the excat same thing? If you're reason is someone might think yes,a dn therefore it is possible can I not say one person might think NOT and therefor it is not possible?